Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM

21 posts, read 54,515 times

Advertisements

Glad I found this thread, just had a similar moment of confusion at the DMV. Was trying to explain it to the service station when getting my safety inspection, he had no idea what I was talking about.

Good to go though. I guess most of the 2nd stickers you see on people's windshields are just stickers from the city they reside in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,692,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I have an interesting story to relay. Over Thanksgiving we were up in Pennsylvania driving on a residential street. We pass a police car and my dh as a joke says to me, "Okay play it cool." Next thing you know the cop's lights are on and he's pulling us over. We could not imagine what for. Turns out he was running license plate numbers through the computer and when he ran ours through, it came up that our car's registration had expired. He tells dh, "I see the '11' stickers on the plate but when I run the plate it says that your registration hasn't been renewed since 09." Huh? DH pulls out the registration and shows him that it most certainly was renewed. My husband who is a big license plate collector suggests that perhaps a specialty plate with our number hasn't been renewed. Cop goes back to his car and is gone for quite awhile. Finally comes back and says, that it is our car's tag that shows it hasn't been renewed, but when he plugs in the VIN it shows that it has. He's like "Man, Virginia's computer system is all messed up." And he lets us go. The next day, my husband calls the VA registration office. The woman on the other end makes a note of it and says this is not the first time that this has happened that the computer wasn't updated properly.

Moral of the story? Carry your registration on you! And you may be stopped even if you are not in Virginia.

Another possible explanation is employee fraud. I've heard that a popular scam is deliberately not processing a renewal. Say a person is renewing their plates in-person AND paying cash, a crooked DMV clerk will issue a decal that has been turned in for a refund (that they were supposed to shred), pocket the cash, and dispose of the application. You may think you renewed your plates...but there will be no record of it.

DMV is a horrible job with very high stress and very low pay/bennies (and getting worse all the time), so they just really don't have much to lose.

NEVER pay cash at DMV...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM

4,463 posts, read 8,155,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Another possible explanation is employee fraud. I've heard that a popular scam is deliberately not processing a renewal. Say a person is renewing their plates in-person AND paying cash, a crooked DMV clerk will issue a decal that has been turned in for a refund (that they were supposed to shred), pocket the cash, and dispose of the application. You may think you renewed your plates...but there will be no record of it.

DMV is a horrible job with very high stress and very low pay/bennies (and getting worse all the time), so they just really don't have much to lose.

NEVER pay cash at DMV...
Red flag would be if you do not receive a receipt for said payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia