Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times

Advertisements

After three painful visits to the DMV, I thought that I was all done. Then, as I was walking through my parking structure, it donned on me that I didn't have a Virginia emissions decal - the girl at the DMV did not give one to me. Do these come in the mail, or did she just forget? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Emissions is tied with your license plate. You should get those in the mail with new plates or with the registration. They should have given you temp stickers though...

Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
You don't get an emissions decal.

You get a state inspection sticker. You will also get a printout showing you passed emissions. You should keep that in the car/glovebox. Once you pass your emissions you can then get your new registration decals (the little squares that go on your license plate). That's all you need.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Then what are those yellow stickers that people have affixed to their front windows? State Inspection, right? When I went to the DMV, they accepted my SMOG test from California as sufficent evidence of the state inspection for a one-year period, but didn't give me any other sticker beyond the April 2011 stickers to put on my licence plate. So am I good to go, or am I still missing something?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ View Post
Then what are those yellow stickers that people have affixed to their front windows? State Inspection, right? When I went to the DMV, they accepted my SMOG test from California as sufficent evidence of the state inspection for a one-year period, but didn't give me any other sticker beyond the April 2011 stickers to put on my licence plate. So am I good to go, or am I still missing something?
You are good to go. The sticker you got was for state. Your emissions information has been entered into the "system."

Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
There are TWO State inspections...Safety and Emissions. The Safety inspection is the yellow sticker on the windshield, which can only be affixed by the Inspector. The Safety inspection is done annaully. The police enforce the Safety inspection...they look for that yellow sticker. No grace period on the Safety...if you have VA plates and no sticker, you can get a ticket.

As mentioned, the Emissions is tied to the license plates, there is no separate sticker for the Emissions. The Emissions is good for 2 years....you can't register or renew your plates without it (except they do have a one month registration if you don't have it).

Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There are TWO State inspections...Safety and Emissions. The Safety inspection is the yellow sticker on the windshield, which can only be affixed by the Inspector. The Safety inspection is done annaully. The police enforce the Safety inspection...they look for that yellow sticker. No grace period on the Safety...if you have VA plates and no sticker, you can get a ticket.

As mentioned, the Emissions is tied to the license plates, there is no separate sticker for the Emissions. The Emissions is good for 2 years....you can't register or renew your plates without it (except they do have a one month registration if you don't have it).

So do I need to get an inspection? I was issued licence plates, a drivers licence, and waived of the emissions test because I was coming from California. However, I did not get the car inspected, and was never asked if I did by the DMV. Can I assume that I need to have the car inspected at this time in order to get the proper yellow decal?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

207 posts, read 752,140 times
I thought you had to show the safety inspection in order to get VA plates? I would get the safety inspection done. Its only about $15 and can be done quickly. The police routinely look for the sticker on your windshield.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ View Post
So do I need to get an inspection? I was issued licence plates, a drivers licence, and waived of the emissions test because I was coming from California. However, I did not get the car inspected, and was never asked if I did by the DMV. Can I assume that I need to have the car inspected at this time in order to get the proper yellow decal?
You'll need to get an inspection. The police can cite you for driving a Virginia-licensed vehicle without an inspection sticker. The tags can be issued without it I think, the dates of your tags and the inspection sticker dates are often different (you can transfer your tags in Virginia to another vehicle for example which may be on a different inspection schedule). Here's some more information from the DMV:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Thank you so much for letting me know about this! I've been to the DMV 3 times since I got here and not once was I asked if I had the safety inspection done, let alone if I had proof of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia