Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times

Advertisements

I taught myself to drive a stick when I was 16 years old...my mother bought me a 5 speed because it was a good deal. She knew I couldn't drive it and she wouldn't teach me...she said if I wanted it bad enough I'd learn...and I did. It's really not hard...but it is intimidating when you don't know what you're doing. The roll back is easy enough to fix...you're just not applying enough gas on hills. You should probably ask another friend to spend a little time with you to teach you and take them to lunch or something. That's much cheaper than flying somewhere just to learn to drive a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM

104 posts, read 411,888 times
All I drive are stick shift cars. Out of almost thirty years of driving, I only owned three cars with automatics and they were driven by my wife.

It is a shame that most cars do't even have a stick shift as an option and it is a shame that many people don't learn how to drive them anymore.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Back in the dawn of time (the late 50's) when I learned to drive if you took your driver's test with an automatic, your license was marked automatic transmission only. If you wanted to legally drive with a stick, you had to take the test with a car that had manual transmission.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredneck View Post
It is a shame that most cars do't even have a stick shift as an option and it is a shame that many people don't learn how to drive them anymore.
I've always owned manual cars too, except for my last one. It was an auto only model so I sucked it up 'cause I really wanted it. Luckily I own a motorcycle so I still get my shifting jollies

Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredneck View Post
All I drive are stick shift cars. Out of almost thirty years of driving, I only owned three cars with automatics and they were driven by my wife.

Why is it a shame? My last car was a stick shift. Both my kids have stick shifts. I can drive a stick shift but see no reason to. Automatics are so much easier.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Yeah, I can see someone wanting to be able to drive a stick...but actually driving one every day, in the traffic around here? Nahhh, unless you want to build up your left leg!

Sporty cars, that you drive occasionallly are different, I think a stick adds to the driving "experience". I can't imagine driving my '67 Vette with an automatic tranny! Heck, an automatic wasn't even available in the car (when equipped with the 427/435hp engine).

Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

131 posts, read 426,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Why is it a shame? My last car was a stick shift. Both my kids have stick shifts. I can drive a stick shift but see no reason to. Automatics are so much easier.
It's is really just a matter of preference. It's a shame because those that want a stick shift don't have the option on many cars.

You can certainly make an argument for driving stick shift; the manual transmission is inherently more efficient then any current automatic transmission technology, so you will see better mileage with a manual transmission if driven with efficiency in mind of course. You have more power to the wheels with a manual transmission.

There are many other arguments for stick shift, such as a tendency to force the driver to be more attentive, etc.

Every modern stick shift I've driven, the clutch pedal does not require enough effort for your leg to actually get tired, even in repeated use.

In the end though, it is mostly just personal preference.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM

81 posts, read 240,830 times
I think Car54 is talking old school cars. Modern cars with hydraulic clutches require little effort. Come on, cab drivers in Istanbul and Buenos Aires don't drive automatics, and you think traffic is bad around here......

One thing that I have noticed in Germany is that I often get upgraded to, for example, E class Mercedes with automatic when I rent cars. I typically rent the class that should give me like an Audi A3, so that's two or three classes above and typically the lowest class car that has an auto. With my status I should get a one class upgrade with Avis. I think it's because they are fearful that an American will damage the clutch on their cars.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
If you can already drive a car, you can teach yourself with some practice. You seem to already understand the principles of operation from going with your friend. In any case, you will never regret learning to drive a stick. The "feel" of driving is so much more pleasurable, particularly if you want a 6-speed (sporty, I presume). I taught both my kids on my old 5-speed Geo Tracker. It took them only a short practice time in the school lot to get the hang of it before I took them on neighborhood streets without hills. Just take the challenges a little at a time.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM

95 posts, read 421,107 times
I need some advice here. Few years back, I was so keen on getting a stick shift, but changed my mind at the last moment and bought an automatic.

Now I am looking for another car,either Accord coupe/Sedan or Camry (8 month old in the house, so I need usable trunk space)

Does it make any sense to buy Camry LE/SE stick shift ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: