Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM

56 posts, read 207,789 times

Advertisements

I keep finding townhomes for sale in Burke in the range of about $200k to $250k. Are there really rough areas of Burke and these are it? I'm just wondering because people talk about not being able to get anything there for under $400k. So what's up?

My husband and I are currently renting in Reston but we would like to buy within the next year. We were advised to look in Burke because it is safe, family friendly (we have a toddler as well as a baby coming in May), and affordable. My husband works in DC. Our budget is very modest as our income is only $60,000 (but we don't have any debt, so that should help out a lot in qualifying for a mortgage).

Am I dreaming? Or are there actually decent and affordable townhomes in NoVa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM

845 posts, read 2,330,263 times
There were some in Burke for about 100K, but the hoa fees were astronomical.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,966,998 times
I think adolpho is thinking of the co-ops at Luria Commons, the HOA fee there is over $300. There are some nice duplexes in the Burke Centre area, the streets all have Landing as part of their name, e.g., Powells Landing, Martins Landing. With a duplex you have a home like a townhouse with someone on only one side. But to answer your original question, yes you can find a nice townhouse in your price range. Go to Virginia Housing Development Authority, the state of Virginia has programs for people in your income bracket.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM

207 posts, read 753,502 times
Are you referring to the area around Burke Road? Why not take a drive out there and see for yourself....

Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM

56 posts, read 207,789 times
Margery, thank you so much for that info. We're new to Virginia, so I was unaware of such programs.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,693,021 times
There are no really rough areas in Burke. I'd say the cheaper townhouse you're seeing in Burke are probably those off Oak Leather Dr (Kohl's side of Burke Centre Pkwy)....or Oak Green Dr on the other side of BCP. I used to drive a school bus through there had my seats sliced open regularly. Probably a lot of Section 8ers back in there.

Burke Commons Dr isn't so nice either...but I think it's mostly, if not all condos there.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,757 times
My fam and I are moving to NoVA in June. We will be in the area in the next few to look at townhouses/duplex. Coffer Woods, Wheaton Dr? I will be working in West Springfield and they look like easy access to Burke Center Pkwy. Anyone have any experience in those areas? Homes look OK, just a bit older. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 AM

262 posts, read 583,526 times
There ARE some rough neighborhoods in Burke Center. Many have Section 8 housing there. I would definitely drive through the area at different times of the day to see what its like. My son and daughter-in-law moved out of their nice condo because the neighborhood went downhill when a lot of Section 8 rentals became the norm. Kids (from little ones to teens) roamed around all hours of the day and night vandalizing and making noise. No parental guidance was visible.

Just do your homework and you should be ok. There are many nice, family oriented neighborhoods in Burke. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,693,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
There ARE some rough neighborhoods in Burke Center. Many have Section 8 housing there. I would definitely drive through the area at different times of the day to see what its like. My son and daughter-in-law moved out of their nice condo because the neighborhood went downhill when a lot of Section 8 rentals became the norm. Kids (from little ones to teens) roamed around all hours of the day and night vandalizing and making noise. No parental guidance was visible.

Just do your homework and you should be ok. There are many nice, family oriented neighborhoods in Burke. Good luck.

Like I said earlier, I've had bus seats sliced open in some of those Burke townhouse developments.

People on this very forum have told me that bus vandalism doesn't mean anything. I disagree....it shows me that these kids are not being raised properly!

Never mind the damage to the bus...what are they doing carrying a knife or a boxcutter to school anyway? Will they use the weapon on another kid or staff? That's why we do everything we can to find out who cut the seat...

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 6,757 times
Thanks for the feedback. We will do more digging and spend this weekend driving around the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia