Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 22,279 times

Advertisements

The situation is this:

I am relocating from New England to the DC area, which I hope will be for a job.

I have 2 terminally-ill pets that I refuse to give up on yet (1 dog with congen. heart failure, 1 cat with cancer). They will live with me until they go to heaven.

I don't see broadband or high-speed advertised in any of the 'features' sections in NoVA apt. rentals. Is that generally not standard?

I have a car, but I'd rather not drive it. Any other mode of transportation to get to work is preferable to me -- bike, feet, and/or train.

I have kids in college who will visit for short periods, when I can guilt them into it, so I need at least 2 bedrooms.

And my budget is miniscule (at least until I sell my house in New England) -- I think I can pay $1500 per month rent.

It would be nice to find a place with nice neighbors, doesn't have to be a 'Lucy and Ethel'-type deal, but where people actually care about the community.

Am I seeking the impossible? Rental apt/townhouse/house in DC area with all of the above?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfan1 View Post
The situation is this:

I am relocating from New England to the DC area, which I hope will be for a job.

I have 2 terminally-ill pets that I refuse to give up on yet (1 dog with congen. heart failure, 1 cat with cancer). They will live with me until they go to heaven.

I don't see broadband or high-speed advertised in any of the 'features' sections in NoVA apt. rentals. Is that generally not standard?

I have a car, but I'd rather not drive it. Any other mode of transportation to get to work is preferable to me -- bike, feet, and/or train.

I have kids in college who will visit for short periods, when I can guilt them into it, so I need at least 2 bedrooms.

And my budget is miniscule (at least until I sell my house in New England) -- I think I can pay $1500 per month rent.

It would be nice to find a place with nice neighbors, doesn't have to be a 'Lucy and Ethel'-type deal, but where people actually care about the community.

Am I seeking the impossible? Rental apt/townhouse/house in DC area with all of the above?

Thanks for any help.
As someone who lost a cat and dog to cancer and old age, respectively about two years ago, I empathize and commend you for wanting to keep your pets comfortable.

Where will you be working? Along with the budget that you provided that can make a big difference. For the moment, I can say that in the generally most convenient areas, your budget might get you a 2BR apartment. A TH would be a stretch, and a home would either be tiny or located in the rare undesirable area.

Broadband should be available in the "average" apartment but not necessarily Verizon FIOS. As you can imagine, public transportation convenience (particularly to the Metrorail) and rental cost are positively correlated.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Thank you Tone509. I am not sure where I will be working yet, but have applied for a number of federal jobs in DC, so there will be that commute.

On the other hand, I do not need the schools, so that's not a factor in where I move.

So I guess -- WiFi or broadband is generally included unless they specify that it isn't?

(at some point, I might be asking you for a referral to a good local vet, as well )

Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Quote:
So I guess -- WiFi or broadband is generally included unless they specify that it isn't?

(at some point, I might be asking you for a referral to a good local vet, as well )
I can't speak for apartments; however, if you were to rent a privately owned townhome or single-family home, the burden would most likely be on you to get your own internet access. Most homes have a choice getting DSL, broadband, cable, or FIOS, so you would select what you wanted and go from there. A landord might already have FIOS to the house so you might be forced to get that but I'm not sure if that would be included in your rent payment or as a separate bill. My father-in-law rents out a few townhomes and he does not provide any internet access in the rent cost. All utilities (including internet) are in the renter's name.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Quote:
Thank you Tone509. I am not sure where I will be working yet, but have applied for a number of federal jobs in DC, so there will be that commute.

On the other hand, I do not need the schools, so that's not a factor in where I move.

Assuming that DC is where you will end up, here's a few town/neighborhood suggestions:

Springfield (suburban sprawl; apts closest to Metro not always desirable);
Huntington (likely shortest commute; improving neighborhood);
West End Alexandria (economically diverse; Van Dorn Metro nearby);
Shirlington/Fairlington(connecting buses; Shirlington somewhat hip);
Old Town Alexandria (SE quadrant has value apts; quaint yet active).

All of these are more or less near the Blue or Yellow Metrorail lines.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,958,343 times
I've rented from 4 different places in the last ~4 years (I'm one of those crazies who enjoys moving...). 2 private landlords, 2 managed complexes. All of them were wired for broadband, but it was up to me to call verizon, cox, or comcast and set up the account/pay the bill. I've yet to see any apartments where it was included in the rent, but it's always possible to get it if you are willing to pay for it.

As a fellow pet lover, I hope you can find what you're looking for! It's relatively easy to find a pet friendly rental (many apartments allow animals with a pet deposit, and I was able to find private landlords who were okay with it too), and every neighborhood I've lived in here has TONS of dogs going for walks every evening

Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,441,990 times
If you don't mind a little bit of an extra commute, I'd also consider Fairfax-Oakton. You could find a decent 2BR around $1500, and if you're in the City of Fairfax (or some adjacent areas) you can take the city's CUE bus to the Metro at Vienna-Fairfax. It's more convenient and reliable than some of the apartment van/bus services that head to the station from other areas. And, your budget might stretch a little bit further.

It's never easy when you have sick pets, and one of my family dogs passed away in December at 18 years of age, and the last year she was declining, but didn't come to the point where she could not continue until a couple of days before Christmas. And, two of my cats from childhood passed at 18 and nearly 21 years old, respectively, a couple of years ago (separate incidents). You're not far from pet lovers in the DC suburbs.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,252 times
Apartments will vary as to the amenities that are included in the rent. Where I live heat and cable are free, its wired for broadband but you must pay for that separately. However, I live in Prince William County which is completely lacking in the safe/friendliness you desire. As Tone 509 mentioned Springfield is a nice area with great commuter options as the furthest south metro stop. (Anywhere in NoVa is going to have bad traffic). You could try calling some apartments and asking them what kind of packages they have. Often, they will offer very different amenities within the same complex and websites can be unclear on this.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Thank you very much, all of you, for advice. I guess I will look in MD as well, I suppose most people do, right? Is there a huge difference in 'bang for the buck', or is MD pretty comparable to VA?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,441,990 times
Close-in Maryland is pretty comparable, if you're looking in an area like Bethesda/Chevy Chase/parts of Silver Spring. Some of the commutes in Maryland can take an eternity, though, and the red line trains are the most crowded in the system, I believe.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia