Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 AM

254 posts, read 790,144 times

Advertisements

I remember when we had the "snowpocalypse" and I didn't shovel infront of the mailbox yet since I was busy shovelling the driveway. I saw the mailman drive in our cul de sac and did not even stop to hand me my mails!!!! Just drove away!!!! Lazy, lazy,lazy!!! And to think I was right there in the driveway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If you bought a house with a two-car garage, then why not take advantage of it? If you bought a house with a driveway, then why not park in it? Is it just laziness?

I am one of the few that makes use of both my garage and driveway, but a lot of people don't. Those driveways in the picture posted earlier are wide but not long at all. So I suppose if the owners have a third car, they don't want to put it in the driveway because then the garage-parked cars could not get out without moving the driveway-parked car first.

My driveway is long enough that I can park my third car at the bottom, right side of the driveway, then both of the garage-parked cars can get out just fine.

I guess if my driveway was real short, I wouldn't want to be playing "move the car" twice a day.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 PM

320 posts, read 711,553 times
During that snow storms, we received a note in our mailbox stating that unless the mailman can drive up to the box, we would not receive our mail. It had a diagram showing how the snow should be cleared. You could not shovel a path to the box since it required the mailman to get out of the truck and walk a few feet to the box. Everyone got it -- I guess they made mass copies and the mailman stuck it in everyone's box.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM

509 posts, read 974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
During that snow storms, we received a note in our mailbox stating that unless the mailman can drive up to the box, we would not receive our mail. It had a diagram showing how the snow should be cleared. You could not shovel a path to the box since it required the mailman to get out of the truck and walk a few feet to the box. Everyone got it -- I guess they made mass copies and the mailman stuck it in everyone's box.
The mailmen have it easy these days. I too remember growing up where the mailman parked his truck at the beginning of the neighborhood and walked from house to house delivering the mail. Of course, in that neighborhood (built in the mid 50's) all the mailboxes were up at the front door, not at the street. These days, they can't even be bothered with getting out of their truck and walking a few feet.

We weren't left a note at all about having to shovel out the area near the mailbox for the mailman. On our cul-de-sac they just plowed the snow down the center of it, since it is a one way circle (has circular sland in the middle) figuring traffic just goes one way there so just plowed one lane wide. So, there was a good 3 feet or more from where it was plowed to the edge of the curb. We shoveled a path from there to the mailbox, and sure enough - didn't get mail delivered for several days until we all shoveled the rest of the snow so the lazy mailman could pull up to the curb adjacent to the mailbox! Of course, this is the same neighborhood/mailman that Heather has who won't deliver mail if he can't pull in front of the mailbox because a car is parked there. I suppose we shouldn't have expected that he'd be able to park a few feet away from the mailbox, parallel to it, and walk that short distance either!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. If you bought a house with a two-car garage, then why not take advantage of it? If you bought a house with a driveway, then why not park in it? Is it just laziness?
I'm surprised at the number of people in our neighborhood who don't/can't use their garages because of all the junk piled in them. Homes run around 5000 sq ft so it's not like it's a lack of space otherwise. A few homes have 4-5 cars and never keep more than one in the driveway at any time. I'm glad to have a garage to use and keep my vehicles in, both summer and winter, plus there's been a problem with auto break-ins locally, so you'd think people would be glad to keep their vehicles indoors! One homeowner complained after his car was broken into (and a gun stored there was stolen) that the HOA should put up streetlights. I told him - 1) we can't afford it; 2) try cleaning your garage and using it for it's intended purpose; and 3) you're an idiot! (I have a carry permit and never, ever, ever leave a weapon in my truck!)

Yes, people are lazy. People are also pigs who can't keep their own home in order. Both are only issues when it impacts others.

On the parking issue per the OP, it's a public street and anyone can park as long as they park legally. If someone is parking perpendicular to the curb, the police can cite them as they're potentially blocking access for an emergency vehicle. PWC will come out and ticket for that as they've done when called a few times in our neighborhood.

We haven't had mailbox problems... yet.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude1 View Post
Here is a google earth picture of whats going on.

the arrow is where the stick is, No body but him can park to the right of it.
The block is where he has been parking his car.
Perhaps he knows when the mailman is coming and only parks there when he's not coming.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Laziness to park your farther from you house and walk back to the house?

Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 AM

509 posts, read 974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Laziness to park your farther from you house and walk back to the house?
Yes, maybe they like getting some exercise! Although in my own case I just moved to this house a year and a half ago and always wanted a house with a garage so that I could park my car in it. So I use it for that purpose. I do see a lot of houses in the neighborhood with garages piled full of stuff and people just parking their cars in the driveway - which personally I don't understand, but to each his own!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,510 times
But if the cars are in the garage, where do the people put their kids' outdoor and ride-on toys???? (j/k) $35,000 car parked in the street for $200 worth of toys in the garage. Really, though, on my street it's more just people having more than two cars. Fortunately, the ones in the circle part of the cul-de-sac mostly use their garages. On the straightaway part there is room at the curbs.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
But if the cars are in the garage, where do the people put their kids' outdoor and ride-on toys???? (j/k) $35,000 car parked in the street for $200 worth of toys in the garage. Really, though, on my street it's more just people having more than two cars. Fortunately, the ones in the circle part of the cul-de-sac mostly use their garages. On the straightaway part there is room at the curbs.
I'm guilty of this We have a two car Garage, and can only park 1 car in it. We have extra furniture, bought for other houses, inherited stuff, we haven't gotten rid of yet, Christmas, and other holiday boxes. Car seats we don't use anymore, wagons, strollers. A huge slab of granite (handpicked from raw in Carrera Italy, then polished...driven down a mountain, in a car that wasn't suited for the mountain or 200 @#$ Lbs of granite, hauled up 4 flights of stairs, as the freaking thing wouldn't fit in the elevator...how can I part with this? Every book, article my husband every wrote or read. We also have about 16 boxes marked DON"T UNPACK TILL WE RETIRE! We are saving this stuff for our "outhouse", then one we will get when we get out of the military!

But alas, yesterday we began the cleaning, motivated by a new car. We have done one side, the 5 foot high stack will get attacked today! And there is a garage sale in our neighborhood in mid May. Deals to be had...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia