Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I'm guilty of this We have a two car Garage, and can only park 1 car in it. We have extra furniture, bought for other houses, inherited stuff, we haven't gotten rid of yet, Christmas, and other holiday boxes. Car seats we don't use anymore, wagons, strollers. A huge slab of granite (handpicked from raw in Carrera Italy, then polished...driven down a mountain, in a car that wasn't suited for the mountain or 200 @#$ Lbs of granite, hauled up 4 flights of stairs, as the freaking thing wouldn't fit in the elevator...how can I part with this? Every book, article my husband every wrote or read. We also have about 16 boxes marked DON"T UNPACK TILL WE RETIRE! We are saving this stuff for our "outhouse", then one we will get when we get out of the military!

But alas, yesterday we began the cleaning, motivated by a new car. We have done one side, the 5 foot high stack will get attacked today! And there is a garage sale in our neighborhood in mid May. Deals to be had...
You sound like my coworker. He is beyond steamed that he can't park one car in his driveway. His wife is a packrat, won't part with anything.

We do have junk too, but I try to weed through it every few years. It is confined to a storage area under my basement stairs (Christmas junk), and one unfinished area in my basement left that way for the sole purpose of storing crap.

I'm no organized neatnik by any means but I hate clutter. Got rid of the baby stuff as soon as possible, especially the carseats. No point in keeping them really. I figure if you get a new baby, get a new carseat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,924,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm no organized neatnik by any means but I hate clutter. Got rid of the baby stuff as soon as possible, especially the carseats. No point in keeping them really. I figure if you get a new baby, get a new carseat.

Yep. Did you know that carseats actually have "expiration dates," and you're not supposed to use them if they are too old?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 AM

112 posts, read 852,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude1 View Post
Here is a google earth picture of whats going on.

the arrow is where the stick is, No body but him can park to the right of it.
The block is where he has been parking his car.
I understand it's a public road however after looking at this picture, you're basically parking in front of his house. How would you feel if your neighbor parked in front of your house on a daily basis and often times prevented you from getting your mail? Unfortunately everyone but him in that cul-de-sac has no curb parking. Your situation sucks but again, he probably purchased that home knowing he had some limited curb parking which is a benefit to him. I know it's not against the law to park there but common courtesy would say that space is his to park unless you had guest over.

Like many has suggested, you have a 2 car garage with at least 2 driveway spaces that you can park in. Given all that space, I too would get upset if I was your neighbor and you decided to park in front of my home. Living in a cul-de-sac has it's benefits but in your case, there's just too many homes and not enough curb space.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Is it possible to approach the HOA and paint the curb yellow (No Parking) in front of the mailbox --just enough space for the mailperson? That would solve the issue about blocking the mail delivery. Also, I am not sure the mailperson is being "lazy" about this -- they are indeed on a schedule and with the latest cuts, who knows what kind of workloads they're being asked to do.

I grew up in a small lumber town and the mailperson delivered mail directly from their vehicle--quickly drove house-to-house to each mailbox. All maiboxes had to be located on one side of the street (not necessarily in front of their homes) and if the mailbox was blocked for any reason, you just didn't get your mail that day. If you were standing near your mailbox, the mailperson also handed you your mail and packages and greeted you. Neighbors gave the mailperson holiday presents, tips, cookies, etc. --thanking them for the year. But that was a different time . . .

Your neighbor is wrong in being nasty about parking in the "special" place. The garage and driveway are considered private parking and the homeowner's property -- cul de sac parking is supposed to be public and for "visitors"; it's first-come, first-served.

There was some of this kind of "preferred parking" happening during the snowstorms, you know, when someone took the time to shovel out a space directly in front of their house and put patio furniture or objects in that space to "reserve" it. But this was occurring mostly in the city not subdivisions and alot of towns didn't enforce anything unless an incident occurred.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 AM

230 posts, read 1,216,185 times
It is proper etiquette to avoid parking in front of someone's house period, even if it is a common road, state owned, etc. As a neighbor you should respect that principle. If you are having a party/gathering and need the extra parking, then this can be an exception, but routinely parking one of your cars in front of his house is not polite. Now, if this guy is a jerk in general, there is not much you can do about that fact.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 PM

38 posts, read 149,211 times
It is actually illegal to hand mail to people, they have to place it in a box of some sort. Handing it to someone in the driveway would make them liable if they gave it to an "ex" or someone not living there. They do it if they know the neighborhood, but could loose their job if they make a mistake. Likewise, it is illegal for anyone to open a mailbox that is not theirs...which is why newspapers, fliers etc are left on doorsteps or in driveways. So the control the postal system has is from "box to box."

As for parking in front of a mailbox, the postman is not obligated to deliver the mail, if the box is inaccessible from the "normal delivery method." I know it sounds trivial, but if he has a route that is based on what he/she can deliver in 6 hours, and all of a sudden he has to add extra time because a driven route becomes a foot route...he then gets complaints for mail being late. This also causes him problems at work.

I know these things because I parked in front of my mailbox a couple of times, and my postman talked to me about it, and gave me a leaflet explaining all of it, with all the laws/US code references.

Then he handed me my mail.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Is it possible to approach the HOA and paint the curb yellow (No Parking) in front of the mailbox --just enough space for the mailperson? That would solve the issue about blocking the mail delivery. Also, I am not sure the mailperson is being "lazy" about this -- they are indeed on a schedule and with the latest cuts, who knows what kind of workloads they're being asked to do.
The HOA cannot paint the curb yellow as the street is the property of the County and is maintained by VDOT through agreement with the County. I don't think painting in front of each mailbox is viable as a No Parking Zone, and trying to get a bunch of 10' fire lanes (another option to restrict parking in PWC) is not going to work either.

Why can't people just be civil *and* mature? Driveways are where cars belong if they're not inside the garage.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why can't people just be civil *and* mature? Driveways are where cars belong if they're not inside the garage.
Thank you! my neighors across the street have 4-5 cars and don't park any in the 2-car garage. I see all kinds of stuff in that garage and even have seen one of the neighbors stir-frying something there. They can use the driveway but mainly chose to park 2-3 cars either in front of their house (which is also across from my driveway and makes it tougher to back out), or in front of my house. I hate that.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,303 times
The neighbor to the left of my house has multiple cars going in and out and parking at all sorts of hours most especially during the weekends and I can't even begin to imagine during the week. I know they're are multiple cars and sometimes the cars are not ones I've seen that come and park during the weekdays on my days off.

They've made the cul-de-sac their personal parking lot.

They park on the curb in front of my mailbox which is adjacent to a fire hydrant and right at the end of my driveway. So when I back out of the driveway I can't back out straight or curved so that I can get out of the circle easier with few turns. It's disgusting how they have no respect for the neighborhood's spaces.

They'll also just leave their kids toys everywhere on cul-de-sac and their dogs running around without a leash or picking up after it.

And you guys thought you have it bad.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...9wnpo1_500.jpg

Old 04-03-2011, 05:18 AM

462 posts, read 1,210,962 times
Here is what was written in one of our association newsletters. Maybe, next time you see a cop.......

PLEASE BEWARE OF THE
FOLLOWING VIRGINIA TRAFFIC
CODE. SEVERAL RESIDENTS
HAVE RECIEVED TICKETS FOR
ILLEGAL PARKING THAT CAN BE
AVOIDED!
480.105 PARKING PROHIBITED IN SPECIFIED
PLACES.
(9) Perpendicular to any curb whether on roadway or
dead end cul-de-sacs where not
marked as an offi cial parking space (Section 46.2-
889, Code of Virginia);
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia