Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is the street (or you can put streets if your more comfortable)?
Madeira Ct-Marsala Ct. By giving hint about streets I can tell you're a smart person. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 AM

4,474 posts, read 8,178,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkwormLR View Post
12 murders consider statistically low given the size and complexity of PWC population. Any home invasion/burglary in Lake Ridge resulted in murder? Living alone even with a loaded gun is not safe if some crazy people decide to illegally enter your home. Whatever happens in your house (even townhouse) neighbors would not know a thing.
First kudos to you for taking your safety in your own hands by having the tools to protect yourself

This story wasn't in Lake Ridge, but in Dale City which isn't too far away: Police Announce Arrest In Dale City Murders | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | (http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79755&catid=188 - broken link) Also a Popeye's manager was shot/killed in a robbery and that's also not too far away. Point is, crime can happen in any zip code. There have been some muggings in the last few months near Hedges Run and Festival Shopping center, nothing that resulted in murder though. I live in Lake Ridge too, not that far away from you actually and this area is pretty safe. I've lived in worse

Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,711,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
First kudos to you for taking your safety in your own hands by having the tools to protect yourself

This story wasn't in Lake Ridge, but in Dale City which isn't too far away: Police Announce Arrest In Dale City Murders | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | (http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79755&catid=188 - broken link) Also a Popeye's manager was shot/killed in a robbery and that's also not too far away. Point is, crime can happen in any zip code. There have been some muggings in the last few months near Hedges Run and Festival Shopping center, nothing that resulted in murder though. I live in Lake Ridge too, not that far away from you actually and this area is pretty safe. I've lived in worse
I've probably posted this info on this thread before (or maybe another). My mother lives in Springwoods, down at the end in the newer areas. Over the past 2-3 years, they have had a rash of petty crime, gunshots, vandalism, etc. The last incident happened about 2 months ago. Her neighbor's home was broken into in the middle of the day (they didn't care about the two big dogs in the house). The resident came home in the middle of the break-in and was beaten. The 'robbers' were looking for a safe in the home. They kept asking the guy where the safe was. He didn't have one but they were convinced he did.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I've probably posted this info on this thread before (or maybe another). My mother lives in Springwoods, down at the end in the newer areas. Over the past 2-3 years, they have had a rash of petty crime, gunshots, vandalism, etc. The last incident happened about 2 months ago. Her neighbor's home was broken into in the middle of the day (they didn't care about the two big dogs in the house). The resident came home in the middle of the break-in and was beaten. The 'robbers' were looking for a safe in the home. They kept asking the guy where the safe was. He didn't have one but they were convinced he did.
I am not 100% sure but I bet that the homeowner ran some sort of business dealing with cash. And he was targeted because the robbers thought he hid cash at home. They must have known something about him. I think they didn't just happen to break in and asking for the safe. Most of us do not have a safe at home. If my bet is wrong then many of us are going to be in big trouble. Oh well, unless there are more info about the story, still hard to tell. I've heard or read somewhere stories about people bury lots of cash underground inside their home. Can you believe it?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I am not 100% sure but I bet that the homeowner ran some sort of business dealing with cash. And he was targeted because the robbers thought he hid cash at home. They must have known something about him. I think they didn't just happen to break in and asking for the safe. Most of us do not have a safe at home. If my bet is wrong then many of us are going to be in big trouble. Oh well, unless there are more info about the story, still hard to tell. I've heard or read somewhere stories about people bury lots of cash underground inside their home. Can you believe it?
Yes, I believe he was targeted but he still didn't have a safe. And I don't think this was some highly organized crime ring doing things. Bottom line is that it was still a bunch of low-level thugs doing this. But, yes, not overly random.

I guess my other point of posting this is that I don't think that some of the "better" areas of Woodbridge, i.e., most of Lakeride are that wonderful these days. I live in Dale City but the part that is on Cardinal Drive near Montclair and in my 15 years here I have not had NEARLY the amount of crime that my mother has had in her Springwoods neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, I believe he was targeted but he still didn't have a safe. And I don't think this was some highly organized crime ring doing things. Bottom line is that it was still a bunch of low-level thugs doing this. But, yes, not overly random.

I guess my other point of posting this is that I don't think that some of the "better" areas of Woodbridge, i.e., most of Lakeride are that wonderful these days. I live in Dale City but the part that is on Cardinal Drive near Montclair and in my 15 years here I have not had NEARLY the amount of crime that my mother has had in her Springwoods neighborhood.
My point is he must have had business dealing with cash. And they thought, rightly or wrongly, he had lots of cash at home whether in the safe or underground.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Besides the homeowner getting beat up, were his relatives, e.g., wife, kids etc, unhurt? Do you know?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Besides the homeowner getting beat up, were his relatives, e.g., wife, kids etc, unhurt? Do you know?
No, just him.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM

318 posts, read 468,896 times
Default Springfield, hands down...

If hubby is working in Springfield, find a nice TH there. Its safe and there are good schools. Yes, less house... but location is everything, trust me. I am in Prince William and planning on leaving next spring. Not because of the safety issues, but the commute to Fairfax County is slowing killing us. I work in Fairfax and hubby works in Springfield. Best to live as close as possible to where you work, its a quality of life thing. Forget about the "big house" and "big yard" -- your time is very valuable. That drive on 95 from Woodbridge to Springfield can be horrific. OMG when it rains, forget it. One accident, and you're late for work.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 AM

555 posts, read 2,707,825 times
Quote:
Madeira Ct-Marsala Ct. By giving hint about streets I can tell you're a smart person. Thank you so much.
That's actually a pretty nice area. It's part of the "older" Lake Ridge, but it still stands up nicely. Anything off of Antietam is usually good to go. The only problems I have seen are in the "Oakwood" area of Old Bridge. Plus your kids (if you have them) should go to Antietam Elementary. That's an award winning school, very competent people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia