Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
This thread is about the safety of the Hammond South Shore train station. Trying to use crime stats from an entire city to characterize one train station within that city is pretty silly.

It would be like if I claimed how stupid people are in St. Augustine, and then linked a website (or two) about stupid people are in the state of Florida.

Weird Florida: Pictures, Videos, Breaking News

Why Is Florida So Weird? A Zillion Examples and 5 Theories | Alternet
You don't have to claim how stupid people are in Florida ... it's a verifiable fact.

Behold ... Florida Man:

https://twitter.com/_floridaman

Some of my favorites:

Quote:
Florida Man Says Dolphin "Seduced" Him Into Having Sex

Florida Man Pauses During Police Chase to Nap Beneath Trailer

Florida Man Manages to Get Bitten by Shark on Dry Land

Florida Man Tries to Hide From Police by Burying Himself in Giant Pile of Snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM

172 posts, read 239,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Here's what's sad: someone who is so obsessed with an area that he/she does not live and feels the need to sputter on about something they really don't have first hand knowledge of.

I wonder why that is?

You don't live in the Region. You've probably never lived in the Region.

But yet, you're obsessed over telling the world (or at least the people who read CD) how dangerous the Hammond South Shore train stop is.

(Psssst ... it's really not.)

Add in the fact that you surround yourself with cows (and seem proud of it!) ... and this thread is getting reeeaaaallllly strange.
More incorrect things you've said:

That I don't have first hand knowledge of the region and I've never lived there.

My perspective is based on someone not from there, who lived there for a minute and got the hell out because the place was a straight ****ing dump. Your perspective is a typical home-teamer who has roots in a massively deteriorated post-industrial craphole, full of crime, squalor, etc, trying to pretend its still 1965.

Nobody moves there who has any other options in this life. Its the sort of place you wind up when you've failed, or you're just too dumb to realize you should've gotten out 15 years ago when there still employed Caucasians dumb enough to buy a house there.

Yes, though. Lets keep this on perfectly topic.

Man, 31, charged in robbery at Hammond train station

^ THIS ^ is the place these imbeciles are characterizing as "perfectly safe".

Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 PM

172 posts, read 239,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
This thread is about the safety of the Hammond South Shore train station. Trying to use crime stats from an entire city to characterize one train station within that city is pretty silly.

It would be like if I claimed how stupid people are in St. Augustine, and then linked a website (or two) about stupid people are in the state of Florida.
Would a newspaper article about a violent robbery against a senior citizen that occurred a few weeks ago at the Hammond Train Station be adequately illustrative to support the idea that the Hammond Train Station is not perfectly safe, in line with the unfavorable crime statistics of areas that immediately surround it?

I see the CPS graduates are circling the wagons... which is funny since 'circle' is a shape they first learned of in 11th Grade Geometry and I didn't think too many of them made it that far.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
It's just ironic that you're in Florida of all places whilst bemoaning the issues that may or may not plague a distant state. If you're going to preach from your High Horse, why don't you focus on the many, many, MANY issues that plague your own state?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
More incorrect things you've said:

That I don't have first hand knowledge of the region and I've never lived there.

My perspective is based on someone not from there, who lived there for a minute and got the hell out because the place was a straight ****ing dump. Your perspective is a typical home-teamer who has roots in a massively deteriorated post-industrial craphole, full of crime, squalor, etc, trying to pretend its still 1965.

Nobody moves there who has any other options in this life. Its the sort of place you wind up when you've failed, or you're just too dumb to realize you should've gotten out 15 years ago when there still employed Caucasians dumb enough to buy a house there.

Yes, though. Lets keep this on perfectly topic.

Man, 31, charged in robbery at Hammond train station

^ THIS ^ is the place these imbeciles are characterizing as "perfectly safe".
Again, who is talking about moving to Hammond or living there now? Not me nor the original poster - who was actually looking to move to Munster, Dyer or St. John and COMMUTE from the Hammond station. She wanted to know if it was safe to use during rush hour.

Yes, it is.

So you lived in the Region for a hot minute before you left? It's pretty obvious that you miss it since you keep returning to this forum over and over and over ...

Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM

51 posts, read 69,481 times
Not everyone commenting on here is originally from the Region. I'm from central Indiana, lived in Chicago for a couple of years (in desirable, nice neighborhoods like Lincoln Park if that gives me more credibility in your eyes), and now I live in Northwest Indiana. I'm not a "home-teamer" and I didn't have to live here, but I choose to because I think it's a nice place to live. I could've stayed in Lincoln Park or moved to an Illinois suburb, but I liked NWI better. Apparently I am a dumb failure for moving here. I guess even though I love it here and enjoy snow and winter and the change of seasons, I should move to the miserable swamp that is Florida because someone on the internet thinks the area I live in is a dump.

As far as safety at the train station goes, I'm a total scardy-cat and a physically weak white female in my twenties and am not afraid to use the Hammond South Shore station, especially during rush hour when there are a lot of people about. There was a stabbing at the East Chicago station relatively recently, but I'm not scared to use it either (also there is a police station inside that train station, so there's really no reason to be afraid). Bad things can happen anywhere and you can't live your life in fear. Just because there was one crime there ONCE a couple of weeks ago (also this occurred at 8:30, which is after rush hour for the South Shore), doesn't mean there will be more crime there in the future. It's not like this is Englewood, where crime is rampant. If you wouldn't feel safe in a crowded, busy train station full of commuters (many of which know each other because they've been riding the same train together for years), then you probably should just become a recluse, because you're not going to feel safe anywhere.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:51 PM

36 posts, read 65,973 times
Quote:
Would a newspaper article about a violent robbery against a senior citizen that occurred a few weeks ago at the Hammond Train Station be adequately illustrative to support the idea that the Hammond Train Station is not perfectly safe, in line with the unfavorable crime statistics of areas that immediately surround it?
No.

Quote:
I see the CPS graduates are circling the wagons... which is funny since 'circle' is a shape they first learned of in 11th Grade Geometry and I didn't think too many of them made it that far.
Who are the CPS graduates you are talking about?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,229,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJones View Post
Not everyone commenting on here is originally from the Region.
I grew up in central Indiana, lived in Chicago for a spell. But it's been years, admittedly.

What the heck is "The Region?" Never heard of it till I read this post. Is it anything like "Chicagoland" was/is?

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-18-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 PM

36 posts, read 65,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I grew up in central Indiana, lived in Chicago for a spell. But it's been years, admittedly.

What the heck is "The Region?" Never heard of it till I read this post. Is it anything like "Chicagoland" was/is?
The Region is a nickname for most of Lake County and some Porter County in Northwest Indiana. Exact boundaries are debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana