Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr View Post
Sorry Cap. Dan , I was misinformed, part of CP is in Porter Twp. not Cty. I understood the North Side is not so great anymore. I have seen houses on Realtor.Com priced much lower for comparable housing on the N. side as opposed to S.
Part of Lake of the Four Seasons is in Porter County.

Are you talking about the area around Timothy Ball Elem School? Older homes in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM

19 posts, read 49,703 times
I have no idea where that school is. I am not opposed to older homes, in fact we prefer them. It was the general condition of the neighborhood and crime that I was inquiring after.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 AM

38 posts, read 201,777 times
Hello everyone,
Well, my husband works in Chicago and I live in a Chicago western burb. We are from a small town North of Kansas city. We would like to move to indiana this summer. We want our small town back, there is nothing better. We think we are going to buy in chesterton. My question is what is the tax consequence for working in Chicago,IL and living in Indiana? My kids are begging for a yard and a dog, personally I mess seeing open field there is noting wrong with farmland. We need the best area for the commute to the fed district of downtown.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,065,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr View Post
I have no idea where that school is. I am not opposed to older homes, in fact we prefer them. It was the general condition of the neighborhood and crime that I was inquiring after.

Thanks.

apart from my modern apartment complex that I live in. My neighborhood is filled with older homes( think before 1930's) and I love them.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
Hello everyone,
Well, my husband works in Chicago and I live in a Chicago western burb. We are from a small town North of Kansas city. We would like to move to indiana this summer. We want our small town back, there is nothing better. We think we are going to buy in chesterton. My question is what is the tax consequence for working in Chicago,IL and living in Indiana? My kids are begging for a yard and a dog, personally I mess seeing open field there is noting wrong with farmland. We need the best area for the commute to the fed district of downtown.
probably better posting a separate thread of your own to have a good responce

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,053 times
Default Its Not Gary

Its the whole state of Indiana that just sucks. Broke asses. I was raised in NW indiana.. moved to chicago and lived there 30 years. Now Im back in Gary.

All the money stops at the state line. Jackasses in Indianaoplis. The scape goat is Gary. The whole county is full of backwards ass red necks and crooks. Gary has its fair share too.. but its not all its fault. It has a long history of bad economy outlooks, drug and gang issues racism. (Remember how the white folks chained up city hall when they lost the election). Abandon buildings downtown, the that friggin state WONT let them tear down because the are historical landmarks. Virtually no tax base here. The state doesnt make US Steel pay its fair share of taxes. The state wants to take the Gary Airport so the money doesnt come to Gary. the list of stuff in this dumbass STATE goes on and on.....

Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaStuf View Post
Its the whole state of Indiana that just sucks. Broke asses. I was raised in NW indiana.. moved to chicago and lived there 30 years. Now Im back in Gary.

All the money stops at the state line. Jackasses in Indianaoplis. The scape goat is Gary. The whole county is full of backwards ass red necks and crooks. Gary has its fair share too.. but its not all its fault. It has a long history of bad economy outlooks, drug and gang issues racism. (Remember how the white folks chained up city hall when they lost the election). Abandon buildings downtown, the that friggin state WONT let them tear down because the are historical landmarks. Virtually no tax base here. The state doesnt make US Steel pay its fair share of taxes. The state wants to take the Gary Airport so the money doesnt come to Gary. the list of stuff in this dumbass STATE goes on and on.....

US Steel has paid more than their fair share of taxes over the years. That's what kept the real estate taxes so low in Lake County. US Steel, Inland and Youngstown generated a lot of tax revenue for the County & State.

The re-assessments started when US Steel protested that they were tired of picking up the slack. Some people were still paying $ 300 or so a year for property taxes. I can't say that I blame USS. The steel mills have been Lake County's cash cows for years.

As far as Gary goes, they've had some greedy politicians over the years. That probably won't change until the residents vote em out. So don't blame it all on drugs, gangs, racism & bad economy. Gary has been in a downward slide for decades. The city needs STRONG leadership and motivated citizens.

Indy is going to fleece NW Indiana for whatever they can get. They leased the toll road to a foreign investment company, and people downstate don't understand why the people from the Region were up in arms. My bet is that Indy will only send a fraction of the millions and million of dollars they got for that lease back into NWI. The rest of the State will get the lion's share of those $$$, and they will still turn their noses up about our area.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:

This is just about the dumbest sh*t I have read in years. Dont forget that the same road that brought to Gary will take you out of Gary!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:

I have to disagree with this one as well. I don't particularly love the region and agree that Gary is not a nice place, but wouldn't classify the local NWI residents as 'backwards ass rednecks and crooks.'

There are some valid points, in the sense that IN's economy is weak right now (though all states are struggling). It's somewhat difficult for IN to compete with other states, as the Universities and talent base (while strong) are not at the level of many other states.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I have to disagree with this one as well. I don't particularly love the region and agree that Gary is not a nice place, but wouldn't classify the local NWI residents as 'backwards ass rednecks and crooks.'

There are some valid points, in the sense that IN's economy is weak right now (though all states are struggling). It's somewhat difficult for IN to compete with other states, as the Universities and talent base (while strong) are not at the level of many other states.
Yes! And the talent leaves Indiana upon graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana