Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,346,142 times

Advertisements

I agree with Post # 39. There are good places here and there (and, of course, the chains everywhere), but it's really nothing great. If you accept that dining and culture in the Region are good (but not great), you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,539 times
woah! now come on I am from the NWI and I love it here we are NOT Chicagoan wannabes truth is we are part of chicago and thats that. I went to school with as many kids that were originally from chicago as I did kids that went to chesterton indiana all their lives. and as far as talentless young adults goes...my bf happens to be going somewhere he is a singer and song writer who toured with yellowcard. he airs on national television this month. and has the same music agent as the bands live and queens rike.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,308,651 times
I grew up in East Chicago, and honestly I always considered myself part of the Chicagoland area, as the rest of Indiana is all right...in theory....but I've never been a fan of the rest of the state. More of a city boy at heart, I guess.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM

11 posts, read 38,821 times
I think you've made a mistake grmasterb.
The rift between here and Indy is farther then ever.
Governor Daniels said flat out that he wants nothing to do with us.
I'm still angry over the Toll Road money disbursements
We up here in the north paid for that highway with our tax money and yet we
got little or non of the funds that came from the lease of it
Most of the money stayed in Indy.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

74 posts, read 200,529 times
The problems with NWI are much deeper than just image. Over the last few decades this area has been slowly but surely becoming stagnent in keeping up with progress and looking to the future. It has relied on areas such as Chicago,Detroit,Indianapolis and other larger metro areas for substance and growth and layed the blame for thier dismal conditions and future on everyone but themselves. Major changes are needed to revitalize the area and attract new and different businesses. Most of the blame should be focused on the politicians and unions. This is true of most of the state not just NWI.
Education is also a key factor. Indiana does not have a plan to keep up with the changing world, they never have. K-12 schools are still stuck in the 50's and 60's in what they think children need to succeed. The state as a whole lose the brightest of the population to other states that have advanced into the 21st century. The problems with education not keeping up with the rest of the world should be obvious. How many successfull companies do you think want to locate somewhere that the employee base has only a marginal education at best. And when there are no jobs how do you think a child feels about his future. It is a slow destructive cycle in the community which leads nowhere but down.
I left Indiana in 82. I lived in the Dallas area for 16 years and the Raleigh NC area for for 11 years. The diversity in both of these cities is very different than what I remember leaving behind in Indiana.
I am not saying that the people in either of these areas have gotten it right but if the people do not start educating themselves better about the changes in the world around them and make the adjustments needed to keep up, things will continue to get worse.
Change is hard for everyone but what we have to remember is that these are not the days of Father knows best or Leave it to Beaver. Times have changed, and although some of it may not be what we want we need to learn to adapt and make the best of it until things get to a point that we are happy.
What everyone has to try to do is not lose the heritage of the many cultures of the people from long past that made Indiana thier new home. Thier influence is what I remember and respect most.
Together all Hoosiers whether still in Indiana or scattered around the country can change the future of the state and bring it back to one that the young want to stay and those that left want to come back too. Most af all it has to start in the home with you and your families. You need to have hope, faith, and love. Teach your children that there is a future that they can be proud and a part of. Respect those around you as you would have them respect you. Politics need to change and only the people can do that.
Well enough of my rant. If you think I am off base just stop and think about it for awhile before you respond and tell me why.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM

71 posts, read 228,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
Can you tell me where to find all this culture and good dinning? I moved to the Region (Merrillvlle) about a year and a half ago. I've not found any place that had the feel of having culture. The square in Valpo is nice, and it has a few good bars and restaurants. I'm in love with the Three Floyd's Brewpub. But other than that I haven't found much that stands out. I am also frequently disappointed with service and product quality up here in the Region.
Well, my point was relativistic. Compared to the rest of the state the Region has some great local ethnic-ish places. You've already referenced Three Floyds, which is actually on the top of most brewing "best of" lists in THE WORLD. Maybe it's an adjustment for you to get out of the corporate sheen paradigm (no offense) and into some places that might not initially seem worth going into. A couple of suggestions: Memo's in Highland, Cafe Borgia in Munster, House of India in Highland at Indianapolis and Main (a little Indian grocery and lunch counter), Bistro 157 in Valpo, Pikk's Tavern in Valpo, and a million little fish-fry places. Look, I'm not saying the Region is the absolute best, but eating and drinking around here is best done by supporting local businesses that have at least some sort of ethnic flair.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,237,803 times
*twitch* Queensryche

Session Information - Introduced Bills

I think it is going to get much worse then it is better. I am asking you to go look and see the amount of money that is about to be footed to the "county". THESE ITEMS ARE NOT A LINE ITEM IN YOUR COUNTY, where will that money come from? Especially, if you put a permanent cap on property taxes. Pay attention to DCS.

Start looking for Children in need of services, juveniles..........truancy.........anything to do with children, look at.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 01-22-2009 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-miss-Ind View Post
The problems with NWI are much deeper than just image. Over the last few decades this area has been slowly but surely becoming stagnent in keeping up with progress and looking to the future. It has relied on areas such as Chicago,Detroit,Indianapolis and other larger metro areas for substance and growth and layed the blame for thier dismal conditions and future on everyone but themselves. Major changes are needed to revitalize the area and attract new and different businesses. Most of the blame should be focused on the politicians and unions. This is true of most of the state not just NWI.
Education is also a key factor. Indiana does not have a plan to keep up with the changing world, they never have. K-12 schools are still stuck in the 50's and 60's in what they think children need to succeed. The state as a whole lose the brightest of the population to other states that have advanced into the 21st century. The problems with education not keeping up with the rest of the world should be obvious. How many successfull companies do you think want to locate somewhere that the employee base has only a marginal education at best. And when there are no jobs how do you think a child feels about his future. It is a slow destructive cycle in the community which leads nowhere but down.
I left Indiana in 82. I lived in the Dallas area for 16 years and the Raleigh NC area for for 11 years. The diversity in both of these cities is very different than what I remember leaving behind in Indiana.
I am not saying that the people in either of these areas have gotten it right but if the people do not start educating themselves better about the changes in the world around them and make the adjustments needed to keep up, things will continue to get worse.
Change is hard for everyone but what we have to remember is that these are not the days of Father knows best or Leave it to Beaver. Times have changed, and although some of it may not be what we want we need to learn to adapt and make the best of it until things get to a point that we are happy.
What everyone has to try to do is not lose the heritage of the many cultures of the people from long past that made Indiana thier new home. Thier influence is what I remember and respect most.
Together all Hoosiers whether still in Indiana or scattered around the country can change the future of the state and bring it back to one that the young want to stay and those that left want to come back too. Most af all it has to start in the home with you and your families. You need to have hope, faith, and love. Teach your children that there is a future that they can be proud and a part of. Respect those around you as you would have them respect you. Politics need to change and only the people can do that.
Well enough of my rant. If you think I am off base just stop and think about it for awhile before you respond and tell me why.
I totally agree with this post. I couldnt have said it better myself. Being a transplant to the area my first shock was that education takes a back burner. I naively thought since Notre Dame was here that people would be very focused on education. The people here love ND but I think its more for the sporting events and the educational aspect.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 37,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
A couple of suggestions: Memo's in Highland, Cafe Borgia in Munster, House of India in Highland at Indianapolis and Main (a little Indian grocery and lunch counter), Bistro 157 in Valpo, Pikk's Tavern in Valpo, and a million little fish-fry places.
Thanks, that's a nice list. I'll have to start working on it. I've been to Pikk's, and it was good.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 AM

35 posts, read 151,199 times
Default The image problem in NW Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Be it because of the ghettos, corn fields or heavy industry, NW Indiana has an image problem. People from the rest of the state and from the rest of the Chicago area don't talk favorably about the Region.
Please discuss and comment below and add how this image problem can be changed.....
I'd say, the ghetto's - there is Garden Estates, another project on Karwick Road and many areas scattered thru-out the City of Michigan City.
There is no heavy industry here.
There have been many changes in Michigan City, in the past couple of years. The projects on Michigan Boulevard have been torn down, which was about the best thing that could have been done, to try to revitalize the City. Most of the old bldgs & a lot of the old homes have been torn down. Some land has to undergo a lot of soil removal. On the corner of 8th Street & Michigan Blvd. Blocksom has to be bought out. Then they can begin to put in place some of the plans they have on the drawing board. Call John P.U. Pugh & Joe Siegel at City Hall and ask what the exact plans are.
(you have to catch Joe on a day he's not drinking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana