Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 79,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
No. The worst is the person runs out of money and becomes homeless and unable to get back to the mainland. New arrivals are not welcomed by employers. It is that simple.
From my understanding, you were once a new arrival yourself. As far as homelessness goes, it's everywhere, not just Hawaii. Those that don't have the money to sustain themselves in Hawaii should not be there, I understand that, however, those that DO should not be discouraged so adamantly. This forum is for help and guidance, not bashing and hatred of "New Arrivals" Where is the ALOHA SPIRIT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Yes, I was a new arrival at one point. I also had a spouse with a job transfer. It is a well known fact that transplants have a difficult time getting a job. Employers do not want to hire recent transplants.

As to homelessness, yes, it is everywhere, but being homeless in Hawaii, far from the transplants family, adds a new level of danger.

I am giving help and guidance and I don't want to see blind ambition about moving to Hawaii for the wrong reasons get someone in serious trouble.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,022 times
Everyone has to be ''new'' at one time anywhere one goes.. what might have been more helpful is to inform the person inquiring that sometimes new arrivals have more trouble getting jobs than natives. and that a reasonable amount of savings is recommended for people who wish to make a life here.
Let's try to be helpful and not hurtful..
Aloha Spirit!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabisq View Post
Everyone has to be ''new'' at one time anywhere one goes.. what might have been more helpful is to inform the person inquiring that sometimes new arrivals have more trouble getting jobs than natives. and that a reasonable amount of savings is recommended for people who wish to make a life here.
Let's try to be helpful and not hurtful..
Aloha Spirit!
Tried to rep you, but need to spread the love!
This is a great post. Moving to Hawaii isn't any different that moving to NYC, Paris or any distant place. Some people will fail, but some will thrive. The people who thrive will most likely be those who are prepared, but this holds true for most things in life.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 AM

285 posts, read 1,082,992 times
While it is true that there are some who "make the move" with visions of rainbows, pineapples, coconuts, and endless days on the beach in there eyes (these are the ones who are set to fail) there is the group who have done some planning, research, and have a plan (these are the ones who should be ok). I may be wrong but I just dont belive that there are too many people who just get on a plane and fly to the most remote spot in the world without some sort of plan. I would like to think that most would have family ties back wherever they came from just incase they need help getting back if it dont work out (I know some dont). As the OP said, he has a steady income already in the form of disability so he has a means to get back if it dosent work out. Some would say you just cant make here unless you make X amount of money and have X amount of savings to fall back on. While this may be true to live the lifestyle they choose it may not hold true for everyone. My wife and I live very well on my VA pension, and dont expect that to change. In the event something happened and we had to leave our home and go back where we came from I have enough change in a water bottle for tickets. If one really needs and wants to leave there are ways to do it. It can be done on a shoestring budget if you want to do it. I've rambled enough now lets have the negitives shot at me and let the guy plan his move.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 AM

117 posts, read 545,334 times
a straight answer, YES, it would be fairly easy to get a job at a restaurant in Honolulu. Hawaii hasnt been too affected by the recession due to it's international appeal. Start surfing craigslist or the star classifieds

Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 103,357 times
To be fair to those posters who are accused of being negative, I say as a mainlander they are probably being realistic. I am someone who has moved around a lot, and much of what they say applies to most situations.

Last time I was looking for a job in Australia, even though I was Australian and there was a shortage of workers in my field, I struggled to get a job. I constantly lost out to locals who had lesser qualifications than I did. Much of it was due to the fact that the employer wants to know that you are going to be around for a while. Employers see it as a waste of time and resources to train someone who is going to take off in very short time because they decide they don't like living on an island or the weather is not what they were expecting. They would rather take someone they feel will be solid, will be there day in day out, and not have to go thru the recruitment process every 6 months.

I know from my experience to not take it personally when I apply for jobs that are a perfect match for my skills yet I don't even get acknowledgement of my resume. I figure the way to job search in Honolulu is going to be networking.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
The "Aloha Spirit" and" Brainless" are not synonymous.
Hotcatz,you have the patience of a saint.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Naw, just the boredom of a saint. I spend too much time online while waiting for other things to get done.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM

369 posts, read 776,879 times
Service industry in Waikiki... good luck. Unless you are a hot chick, in which case you won't need luck. The service industry does have high turnover, however it also has a high pool of applicants. Try not to limit yourself to one particular industry (although it is understandably the largest). It's rough and tough out there, best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: