Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM

40 posts, read 79,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
dmalofy, I just read this thread and can't believe how you attacked hotzcatz for being "negative". Hotzcatz is one of the best posters on this forum, giving lots of helpful answers to people inquiring about living/vacationing in Hawaii.

As he/she tried to explain in several posts, don't ask a question then get pissed when someone gives you an honest answer. The honest REALITY answer is that the job market does suck big time in Honolulu right now, even more than it sucks big time anywhere in this country. Hawaii gets hit harder because we rely on tourism as our main industry, and if people are out of jobs and barely hanging on, they are not taking vacations to Hawaii. If people don't take vacations to Hawaii, then there are no jobs in the service industry.

People are trying to help you understand what it's like to try to get work in Hawaii. They want you and anyone else reading these responses to come with open eyes about what to expect. They aren't telling you not to come at all. That's up to you to decide after reading everything that people have posted on this forum many, many times in response to the same kinds of question.

Good luck.
I am here in Hawaii now, not only have I found a job but I found an apartment. The attacking thing is absolutely ridiculous. Some of you guys really need to read what you write before you click send. Thank you to all of you who shared your stories and advice, much of the most helpful was DM'd to me because of the attitudes of so many posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 8,740 times
Default Yup...

Aloha and congratulations. Hard parts done... now it's time for the beach, yeah

Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,019 times
Congratulations! See, it can be done.. perhaps some of the people on this site are having difficulty gaining employment because of their NEGATIVE ATTITUDES!! Peace and Aloha...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Ten days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalofy View Post
How difficult is it to get a job ............ I'll be moving there the beginning of October and looking for a job mid-to-late October....any ideas?
Today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalofy View Post
I am here in Hawaii now, not only have I found a job but I found an apartment.
Timetable sure changed. What happened?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Cocoabsiq said Congratulations! See, it can be done.. perhaps some of the people on this site are having difficulty gaining employment because of their NEGATIVE ATTITUDES!! Peace and Aloha...
I see that you have three posts on this forum. The people who are trying to give helpful advice actually live here and have hundreds of postings about visiting and working on the islands. We are trying to help people see the reality of living here beyond the image of what Paradise is like. It's your choice to decide whether or not to listen, but it's really rude (and NOT Aloha) to attack people for offering insight.

By the way, I personally have NO difficulty gaining employment, I'm retired.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
but it's really rude (and NOT Aloha) to attack people for offering insight.
they not asking for insight, they asking for approval. These post are like GF asking if the dress makes her butt look fat? They don't want the truth, they want you to say it looks good. Nobody wants to hear the dream and plans are not good, they want you to say that they will come with $25 in their pocket, get a $150,000 job at resort, a beachfront home or condo, and spend all their free time living the vacation life they dreamed about. And just like the GF will get mad at you if you are honest and said the dress makes butt look fat (even if it makes it look like 2 futtons shoved in her draws), these people are mad bacuse you are not telling them their out of wack plans make sense, all they want is approval no matter how bad the plan. They don't realize that by listening and taking the advice, they stand a better chance of success and can avoid all the problems so many others have experienced.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
they not asking for insight, they asking for approval. These post are like GF asking if the dress makes her butt look fat? They don't want the truth, they want you to say it looks good. Nobody wants to hear the dream and plans are not good, they want you to say that they will come with $25 in their pocket, get a $150,000 job at resort, a beachfront home or condo, and spend all their free time living the vacation life they dreamed about. And just like the GF will get mad at you if you are honest and said the dress makes butt look fat (even if it makes it look like 2 futtons shoved in her draws), these people are mad bacuse you are not telling them their out of wack plans make sense, all they want is approval no matter how bad the plan. They don't realize that by listening and taking the advice, they stand a better chance of success and can avoid all the problems so many others have experienced.
So funny... So true...

Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 AM

The time-table changed because I was on my honeymoon there before the official move. Didn't realize I needed to give every detail of my life. and all of you can just STOP NOW. Enough with the back and forth who's negative, who knows reality, who's got the best advice. It's all subjective. Get over yourselves. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 AM

One last note: The advice had stopped rolling in quite a bit ago. So what was the purpose of this? To anger, frustrate, and further stress people out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: