Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,810,080 times

Advertisements

If Jameson's in Haliewa is still open, try them. They're being threatened by mega-development. Kua Aina is good for burgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,538,196 times
Some of my favorites:

Plate Lunch: Rainbow Drive In (Kapahulu ave. in Honolulu)
Filipino: Thelma's Restaurant ( Farrington Hwy. in Waipahu)
Hawaiian: Yama's Fishmarket (Young St. in Honolulu) or Highway Inn (Farrington Hwy. in Waipahu)

Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 PM

682 posts, read 2,800,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixbar View Post
whats good up north shore? breakfast, lunch dinner... nothing fancy
I had good breakfast at Cafe Haleiwa.

Luibuenos is new for Mexican, and I think better than the old standby of Cholos. They're a bit pricier, but go during happy hour for good deals on delicious beer-battered fish tacos.

I always get decent thai food at Haleiwa Eats.

If you go on Sunday, just eat at the Farmer's market, and grab stuff to sustain on the beach for later.

Anytime, shrimp trucks are a good bet. (I've heard the one in front of Wiki Wiki Java is good, but haven't tried it yet... Blue Wave or something?)

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

25 posts, read 120,253 times
Pizza- JJ Dolans in China town, best pizza on the island
Mexican- Mexico Lindo in Kailua
Burgers- THe Counter Burger in Kahala (amazing burgers that you can put anything on)
Shrimp Shack- Romy's Shrimp and Prawns (get the garlic shrimp, it's to die for)
Wings- Buffalo Wild Wings- I know you can go to these on the mainland, but seriously I havent found better.
Ono's- I agree with this being a fantastic place. THe cheesesteaks are extrememly good, especially at 2 in the morning after the bars. I eat here every time I go out for drinking or dancing.
Avoid- Dixie Grill in Pearl City, worst "southern food" I have ever had.
Jimmy Buffets- extremely overpriced for not even halfway decent tasting food

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,952,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Probably my favorite place to go out on Oahu is the Pearl City Tavern which is a fine dining establishment with the world famous Monkey Bar. Yes; there are real monkeys in the bar. It's mauka of Pearl Harbor.
The Pearl City Tavern closed in 1993, and was later torn down. It's now a car lot.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,810,080 times
...and there was a disturbance in the Force when it closed.

Last edited by eureka1; 02-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,547,428 times
Storto's has some killer sandwiches! The original is in Haleiwa, but now there's another off Waialae. Papaya seed dressing is a must-have!

Leonard's for malasadas, located on Kapahulu. Also Waiola shave ice is my favorite shave ice place - also located on Kapahulu. I'm also a big fan of Teddy's Bigger Burgers - there's a few around the island. OH and I can't forget Duke's in Waikiki!

My favorite shrimp truck is Giovanni's in Kahuku as well

Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM

369 posts, read 779,615 times
Sushi- Yanagis; Kats Sushi; Sasabune
Thai- Phuket Thai
Vietnamese-Pho'Mai
Chinese-Kin Wah; Fook Yuen Seafood
Burgers- Island Burger (in Manoa)

Many many more restaurants. These are all reasonably priced to pretty expensive. Most are around town as well.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM

119 posts, read 377,802 times
I can't believe nobody have mentioned this yet ... Mitch's Fish Market & Sushi Bar in Honolulu! And I also recommend garlic shrimp at the North Shore, not really a fan of Giovanni's but most of the shrimp trucks are good, as long as you stick to the original (THE garlic shrimp, that is. Not bbq, spicy... et cetera)

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,538,196 times
Just adding one more.

Korean: Shillawon (near Ala Moana Mall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu