Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:52 PM

23 posts, read 93,691 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a used car when I get on the island. There seems to be only 1 bus that goes to the VA... and it's not easy finding a good, happening neighborhood along that line. How do I find out about noise levels for an apt? Just by checking out if there is a hospital nearby?

Wow 30-45 mins for 4 miles. Can people just walk? Oh right, the VA is on the hill/mountain, right? I was hoping to bike but I heard Honolulu is not very bike-friendly. I have to be at work at 730 and the VA is pretty strict w/ time. Now I wonder if it's worth living in Aiea, and then just go out during the weekend.

Realistically, do people who work a full-time 40 hr/wk job go to the beach on weeknights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Different parts of Makiki are very nice, nice and then not so nice! Our daughter had an apartment in Makiki last year. She was close to the freeway and hospital and had ambulance sirens going almost non-stop, 24/7. Make sure to look at the noise levels if you take an apartment without ac.

It would still be a cab ride into Waikiki or downtown/Chinatown. Will you have a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM

119 posts, read 376,776 times
I suggest you rent just a room for the first couple of months. We did live in a hotel for 10 weeks before we get an apartment, aside of waiting for our household goods from Miami, we also wanted to screen places in person, what were we willing to give up for the price tag; space, location or commute time... there are things that are more important to you than others and only you will know it.

I would't know how necessary and how often for you to go out, if you drink at all, etc. It might work for you to live closer to work and maybe you find a way to carpool on the weekends. As for me, I'm from Germany and cannot (also not willing) live anywhere where my life is depending of a POV, my top priority has to be good public transport or walking distance to hospital and business, and then we look for a place to live from there.

Anywhere you live, Oahu it's not that big. Just keep in mind that Honolulu is the only real city on the island so you don't get culture shock. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,333 times
^^ is good advice. If you can swing temp or vacation rental, that will give you a chance to check out the various nieghborhoods and commute times. Most apartments don't have AC, so you'll want to carefully check out the noise situation. Maikiki has some great places, but parts are close to UH, so plenty of students there, too.

As for the beach in the evenings, I think its personal preference. I prefer to go on my days off, so I can sit all day if I want. But I can walk to the beach, so I never need to worry about parking or lugging too much stuff.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 PM

23 posts, read 93,691 times
yes I am looking into that as well. any vacation/temp rentals that you'd recommend or anywhere in downtown/Waikiki would be fine?

Also, this might be a silly question, but I've been looking on craigslist for apartments, but they don't say if there's a brokers fee or not. Is it assumed in Hawaii that the tenant pays the broker's fee? In NYC- we have no fee (landlord pays fee) and fee (tenant/applicant pays fee) apts and there is a clear distinction on craigslist; but I didn't see it for Oahu.

Thanks to both of you for great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
^^ is good advice. If you can swing temp or vacation rental, that will give you a chance to check out the various nieghborhoods and commute times. Most apartments don't have AC, so you'll want to carefully check out the noise situation. Maikiki has some great places, but parts are close to UH, so plenty of students there, too.

As for the beach in the evenings, I think its personal preference. I prefer to go on my days off, so I can sit all day if I want. But I can walk to the beach, so I never need to worry about parking or lugging too much stuff.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM

119 posts, read 376,776 times
We looked at apartments via several agents and none asked for broker's fee, some charge application fee of $15-20 (for background check), but not all. Agents aren't that motivated around here. They decide when they want to show you the place, if you can't make it they'd scheduled for another week, so you must be patient.

Also becareful about this application fee, some say that not all agents are honest, they make you apply for the rental that is not even available, take your money and tell you that you're not approved even when your credit is flawless. We didn't encounter such agents, but use your common sense, if you think the price is too good to be true for Hawaii, usually it is.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 856 times
Hi,

I'm considering a move to Oahu to work at Tripler. I came across your post. You outlined many of the same questions I have. I am a single 30 yr old woman. I would like to live close to the hospital and avoid a long commute and traffic. But I would also love to be near things to do. Though I'm thinking I would prefer a short commute, since I will likely only make it to the beach, etc on weekends. I am curious where you ended up and what you think now that you have lived there. Would love to hear your thoughts! Also if you have any tips on ways to save money, I would love to hear those too!

Thanks!
Julie

Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Julie, it's been 4 years since the original poster was on the forum.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlortz View Post
Hi,

I'm considering a move to Oahu to work at Tripler. I came across your post. You outlined many of the same questions I have. I am a single 30 yr old woman. I would like to live close to the hospital and avoid a long commute and traffic. But I would also love to be near things to do. Though I'm thinking I would prefer a short commute, since I will likely only make it to the beach, etc on weekends. I am curious where you ended up and what you think now that you have lived there. Would love to hear your thoughts! Also if you have any tips on ways to save money, I would love to hear those too!

Thanks!
Julie
You could try to PM the original poster, click on the name and it will open up and you can write a PM. But there is a good Possibility of them not answering, or they did not move here? They would have posted more threads! If they did move here, most people do not stay on City Data, and post moving reviews to help other people. Who are thinking of moving here and working at Trippler AMC
Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: