Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM

23 posts, read 93,672 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I will be moving out to Oahu in a few months to start a position at the Honolulu VA. I know traffic is a pain on the island so I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea how bad it is from certain neighborhoods and which highways/roads are the worst.

1) There's an apt I'm looking at in Aiea. As per google maps, the drive should take about 11 mins (via HI-78/I-H-201) and 16 mins (via Salt Lake Blvd). Salt Lake Blvd seems like a local road so I wonder if it's less backed up than the highways. I need to get to work at 730 and I leave at 330.

2) Google maps say that the commute between VA and Waikiki is around 20 mins, and a friend who's there now says her commute is around 30'ish mins, more in the evening! Is it realistic to just double google map's calculated time? Is the commute worse coming up from Waikiki/Kaimuki to VA then from the northern neighborhoods like Pearl City and Aiea?

3) What about the commute from Makiki or Liliha area?

4) People's thoughts on Aiea area for a single late 20's woman. Is it safe? Is it too quiet/desolate to live on one's own? I have never been to the island, but I know I don't like tourist traps (so I'm crossing out Waikiki). I do like living with the locals, experiencing local cultures/community life, and I like being able to walk to cafes, bookstores and support locally owned businesses. I also don't want a 30-40 minute driving commute each way. My primary concern is daily commute time and the convenience of Asian foods/people in my neighborhood for wknights when I don't want to cook!

5) Public transportation - do buses in Oahu have their own lanes? For buses that go on the highway (like bus A or 31), are they often faster than cars?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback/help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsesta View Post
Hi there! I will be moving out to Oahu in a few months to start a position at the Honolulu VA. I know traffic is a pain on the island so I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea how bad it is from certain neighborhoods and which highways/roads are the worst.

1) There's an apt I'm looking at in Aiea. As per google maps, the drive should take about 11 mins (via HI-78/I-H-201) and 16 mins (via Salt Lake Blvd). Salt Lake Blvd seems like a local road so I wonder if it's less backed up than the highways. I need to get to work at 730 and I leave at 330.
You will be traveling during peak commute times. The worst jams seems to build up right around Aiea/Pearl City.

2) Google maps say that the commute between VA and Waikiki is around 20 mins, and a friend who's there now says her commute is around 30'ish mins, more in the evening! Is it realistic to just double google map's calculated time? Is the commute worse coming up from Waikiki/Kaimuki to VA then from the northern neighborhoods like Pearl City and Aiea?
Double it on a good day. Triple it in the rain. Definately worse coming from town ie. Waikiki.

3) What about the commute from Makiki or Liliha area? Those are basically neighborhoods within Honolulu. You probably woudn't know when you crossed from Makiki into HNL.

4) People's thoughts on Aiea area for a single late 20's woman. Is it safe? Is it too quiet/desolate to live on one's own? I have never been to the island, but I know I don't like tourist traps (so I'm crossing out Waikiki). I do like living with the locals, experiencing local cultures/community life, and I like being able to walk to cafes, bookstores and support locally owned businesses. I also don't want a 30-40 minute driving commute each way. My primary concern is daily commute time and the convenience of Asian foods/people in my neighborhood for wknights when I don't want to cook!
Its a pretty large (for Oahu) city. The 2nd biggest regional mall is in Aiea, Target, the only Bed, Bath & Beyond in Hawaii, tons of resturants. Unless you're living next to the mall, you probably won't be within walking distance to all of that. There really isn't a downtown in Aiea. Its more like a suburb. But its safe!

5) Public transportation - do buses in Oahu have their own lanes? For buses that go on the highway (like bus A or 31), are they often faster than cars? ROTF!!! Nope the buses clog up the carpool lane. But for grins, you can increase your blood pressure, watching all the carpool lane cheaters every morning and evening. Good times.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback/help!
Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks for your awesome feedback! Where do you think is the best place to live from the standpoint of a short commute to/from the VA and a relatively safe neighborhood?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM

Have you looked around Waikele? There are nice apt/condo's and within walking distance to the outlet mall, which has a few resturants and a large Borders.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM

No i haven't yet but I definitely will check it out. Thanks for the rec again!

I'm from Manhattan, and I don't need to be in the midst of all the action (areas like TIme Square) but I do like the convenience of local shops/cafes within walking distance. That's why I thought living in town (ie. in Honolulu) would be most appropriate for me.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM

119 posts, read 376,763 times
when you're from Manhattan, I think you'd be happiest living in Honolulu city. My husband is working at Schofield and we still live downtown Honolulu. We're only from South Beach Miami, not that big compared to Manhattan but we couldn't see ourselves living on the outskirts. Only in Honolulu/Waikiki you can walk to cafes and restaurants, or taking public transportation. From where we live, to take a cab to the happenings any direction is around $10. If you live in, say Aiea, it will cost you at least $30, if no traffic. For young professional like you I can safely assume you will be spending time in Honolulu a lot.

Commute is horrible regardless, when it's during rush hour. It takes me 8-10 min to drive to Tripler in a good day, but during rush hour it's more than 30 min, even though I can see the hospital from my balcony!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks eksotia! That's very specific and informative. What neighborhood are you in that you can see the VA from your balcony? I also think living within Honolulu City would be the best choice for me. The commute is just scaring me! So it's a tradeoff: living close to the VA/shorter commute/less to do when I come home vs. living farther away/longer commute/more stuff happening in my neighborhood.

I'm looking at Makiki now because it's more affordable. Is there a lot going on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
when you're from Manhattan, I think you'd be happiest living in Honolulu city. My husband is working at Schofield and we still live downtown Honolulu. We're only from South Beach Miami, not that big compared to Manhattan but we couldn't see ourselves living on the outskirts. Only in Honolulu/Waikiki you can walk to cafes and restaurants, or taking public transportation. From where we live, to take a cab to the happenings any direction is around $10. If you live in, say Aiea, it will cost you at least $30, if no traffic. For young professional like you I can safely assume you will be spending time in Honolulu a lot.

Commute is horrible regardless, when it's during rush hour. It takes me 8-10 min to drive to Tripler in a good day, but during rush hour it's more than 30 min, even though I can see the hospital from my balcony!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM

119 posts, read 376,763 times
we live in Ala Moana neighborhood because it's a block away from the infamous mall, ha ha! Don't let traffic freaks you out, you don't really have a choice, it takes getting used to, but you will accept it (someday...). I really find it ridiculous to drive 30-45 min for 4 miles to Tripler from where I live, I used to be so mad spending so much time on the road even though I have always been very calculative NOT to drive during rush hour... but there's no other way. Besides, the mentality here also very different than other metropolitans, there is no rush, everybody takes their time. You will be fine.

Makiki is quite close to the happenings but you will still have to drive downtown, not close enough to walk. I am not sure how it is with buses, from where we live there are buses every 5 minutes takes us downtown, or every 10 minutes to Waikiki. Once you make local friends, most of the 'hip' hanging out places for young people is around Chinatown.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsesta View Post

I'm looking at Makiki now because it's more affordable. Is there a lot going on there?
Different parts of Makiki are very nice, nice and then not so nice! Our daughter had an apartment in Makiki last year. She was close to the freeway and hospital and had ambulance sirens going almost non-stop, 24/7. Make sure to look at the noise levels if you take an apartment without ac.

It would still be a cab ride into Waikiki or downtown/Chinatown. Will you have a car?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a used car when I get on the island. There seems to be only 1 bus that goes to the VA... and it's not easy finding a good, happening neighborhood along that line. How do I find out about noise levels for an apt? Just by checking out if there is a hospital nearby?

Wow 30-45 mins for 4 miles. Can people just walk? Oh right, the VA is on the hill/mountain, right? I was hoping to bike but I heard Honolulu is not very bike-friendly. I have to be at work at 730 and the VA is pretty strict w/ time. Now I wonder if it's worth living in Aiea, and then just go out during the weekend.

Realistically, do people who work a full-time 40 hr/wk job go to the beach on weeknights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Different parts of Makiki are very nice, nice and then not so nice! Our daughter had an apartment in Makiki last year. She was close to the freeway and hospital and had ambulance sirens going almost non-stop, 24/7. Make sure to look at the noise levels if you take an apartment without ac.

It would still be a cab ride into Waikiki or downtown/Chinatown. Will you have a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: