Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The growth on the neighbor islands from 1960 to present far outstrips the growth of Oahu. Oahu just started with a bigger base.

Oahu went from about 500k to 953k (less than double)
Maui went from about 35k to 144k (quadruple growth)
The BI went from about 61k to 185k (triple growth)
Kauai went from about 28k to 67k (more than double)

Hawaii Population Change

You can see the biggest jumps in the neighbor islands when they built runways that could accommodate direct flights from the mainland and not have to go through HNL.
Now uncle im not necessary saying your wrong, but is majority of the growth on neighbor islands more from locals fleeing Oahu lol and/or driven from Oahu then anyother factor besides tourism? Just wondering?

Im still here to learn too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Now uncle im not necessary saying your wrong, but is majority of the growth on neighbor islands more from locals fleeing Oahu lol and/or driven from Oahu then anyother factor besides tourism? Just wondering?

Im still here to learn too.
No, you can go look at the demographics of who was born in which state. The only one I can think of off-hand without going back to the reports is Maui, where Maui actually has an out-migration of Maui born people going to other islands, while those born in other states and nations is up to 43% on Maui now.

Way, way off topic of commuter rail though.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Default Caldwell speaks on rail, homelessness in State of the City address.

To deal with its increased construction costs, the mayor offered three choices: raising property taxes, stop and tear down what has already been built, and the choice he would prefer, which is the extension of the excise tax surcharge that is set aside for rail past its current deadline of 2022.
So, there are your choices going forward.
Caldwell speaks on rail, homelessness in State of the City address | KHON2

This reminds me of the Big Dig back in Boston a number of years ago. That project started like this one and took years to complete, and Delays after Delays happened. Ended costing Billions above the original cost Estimate.
"The Big Dig -- America's Greatest Highway Robbery"

Old 03-19-2015, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Whenever I hear the opposition to it, I always assume the people have never been to ASIA, where rail works wonderfully.

The mainland cities are in trouble. They just keep getting more and more traffic congested, and establishing rail is just going to be so much more expensive and so much more difficult in the future. I'm amazed there is so much opposition to it. It's something that almost any developed (and many 3rd world) large cities in the world have, but most mainland u.s. cities do not. Something so basic and essential.

I love that Honolulu is so much more proactive and long-term planning with this. It just makes the city that much better to live in.
We have it in Portland, Oregon. I use it everyday and smile as we pass the standstill cars on the 84.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:57 PM

181 posts, read 274,121 times
Commuter rail works best where the roads suck.

Unfortunately, few commuter rail lines are self-sustaining, meaning that they have to be heavily subsidized by taxpayers who can't use the service.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 AM

206 posts, read 186,581 times
This project will place a huge burden on taxpayers. It has already. Almost a billion in cost overruns so far and they haven't even made it out of the West side yet.

Where are people going to park at the train stations? They aren't making big lots. Hop on a bus you say? You could do that now. Also, you gonna carry all your shopping purchases on the train?

Let's not even start on maintenance. We like shiny new things here, but like children we cannot take care of them. The rail will fall into disrepair eventually or even worse have an accident. We cant even maintain our zipmobile. Look at the trouble that caused.

If you haven't seen "The Simpsons" Monorail episode, I suggest watching it, that is how this will turn out.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,705 times
"This project will place a huge burden on taxpayers. It has already. Almost a billion in cost overruns so far and they haven't even made it out of the West side yet. "

A very valid concern, but I think it will be worth it.

"Where are people going to park at the train stations? They aren't making big lots."

Do you know that for sure? They might make some park-and-rides. Even without it's worth it. Here in Portland I walk a mile to the train and a bit less than a mile from the train to work every day. Then the same on the way back. TOTALLY worth it with the money, time and stress I save. I read my book as we pass the stand-still traffic on the 84.

"Hop on a bus you say? You could do that now."
Yes you can, with a stop every other block, AND whatever traffic problems arise.

" Also, you gonna carry all your shopping purchases on the train? "
Yes, sometimes. We do it here. Unless you're buying a gas grill or something.

"Let's not even start on maintenance. We like shiny new things here, but like children we cannot take care of them. The rail will fall into disrepair eventually or even worse have an accident. We cant even maintain our zipmobile. Look at the trouble that caused."

The Bus is maintained, so why not the train? More jobs!

"If you haven't seen "The Simpsons" Monorail episode, I suggest watching it, that is how this will turn out."

I love the Simpsons, but it is a cartoon after all....with 3-eyed fish. (Although there might be some of those in the Ala wai.)

Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@Belanos

To compair portland lightrail to what is going on in Honolulu is crazy.
. As of 2004, $3 billion had already been spent on MAX in Portland, and the Green Line has added another $557 million to the total. The total of 4 different lines. Further HART is only 20 miles, single rail track(kinda like what you see at pearlridge shopping center). MAX(portland) is 52*miles of track and alot of areas are double track.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
My take is this: Imagine if you had originally built HART and just now decided to build the H1. Now THAT would be expensive. Especially considering that you can't just truck in stuff.

However, I think it is a HUGE mistake to spend so much money without going to Waikiki (or at least right across the Ala Wai with a pedestrian bridge) and UH Manoa. It will GREATLY limit the usefulness of the "starter system." Everybody knows students, elderly, and tourists are more likely to use mass transit, so why not get more bang for your buck? I remember when I went to UH, it would be faster to walk or bike between Ala Moana and Waikiki than to wait for and ride The Bus (OK, so I walk fast). Parking issues also drive ridership, and Waikiki has limited parking and continues to add more malls which require more workers to commute to.

Similar mistakes were made in the starter systems in Miami and San Juan, and guess what, neither of them are getting expanded much... It's just easier to convince people and politicians to expand a small, successful system than a more expansive one which is perceived as a wasteful "boondoggle," even if people in Kapolei have to drive a bit further to get to the park and ride at first.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Here's my question:

Why is there hardly any traffic (from Ewa side) on the H-1 when school is out? Will rail accomplish that same effect?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu