Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Further I just want you guys to know that in the 70s the condo in Kaka'ako my ohana rentted was about 400mth. So please tell me how redevelopment and population don't go hand in hand with prices too?
Let us do some math. The 70's were some of the highest years of inflation in US history.

I shall split the difference of the "70's".

In 1975, without any adjusting for supply or demand, $400 equates to $1,800 in 2014. Considering you said "Ohana", that sounds about right.

Calculate the value of $20000 in 1975 - Inflation on 20000 dollars - DollarTimes.com

In 1970, $400 equals $2,475 in 2014

So, that would be how redevelopment and population don't go "hand in hand" with prices in Hawaii. It is just math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:02 AM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
I meant to say locals but I was trying to be politically correct.
All I can see is it made if factually incorrect.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think the intent has ever been to draw people FROM Honolulu to Kapolei. More to keep this side from needing to travel to Honolulu. It's definitely suburbia and it's definitely the less tropical area.
But doesn't that side already have suburban stuff. Like Waipahu, for example, seems to have way more suburban types of shops already...

I kinda wish they'd have built Kapolei to be more modeled after Hilo, or something like that.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
All I can see is it made if factually incorrect.
Despite that i still haven't seen anything that disputes my original point. Thou the jet age theory is plausible if one wants to ignore the impact of redevelopment and modernization on population growth in Oahu. The problem is it doesn't hold up under logic. If the jet age was the cause then why wouldn't the other islands be overcrowded like oahu? Further if just being Hawaii was the attraction and being tropical islands was the lure to move and live then all the islands would be overcrowded right? See the reason Oahu is overcrowded and the other islands are not is because Oahu looks and has the feel of any big city and is modernized. Thus my original point, stop redevelopment and control the population. No majority of people wants to move to an area that doesn't have the attraction of mainland comforts, thus also why other islands and oahu distant past were not overcrowded. Every other argument against is just a distraction.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-21-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 PM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I'm not sure why Oahu was developed as the business hub originally, though I'm sure someone here knows. I did a quick google and saw references to the fact that Oahu has 3 natural ports and the military. I stretching my brain pre-coffee but I think the Federal Gov't gave the money for the H1 due to the military being here, which had to affect the development of Oahu. I think Ft. DeRussey started development in Waikiki.

Are you saying if we didn't have thinks like big box stores, and we stopped building homes people wouldn't come here? If we stopped the rail they wouldn't come? I'm afraid our economy would get a hard hit without growth, so perhaps then we would go back to more people leaving?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why Oahu was developed as the business hub originally, though I'm sure someone here knows. I did a quick google and saw references to the fact that Oahu has 3 natural ports and the military. I stretching my brain pre-coffee but I think the Federal Gov't gave the money for the H1 due to the military being here, which had to affect the development of Oahu. I think Ft. DeRussey started development in Waikiki.

Are you saying if we didn't have thinks like big box stores, and we stopped building homes people wouldn't come here? If we stopped the rail they wouldn't come? I'm afraid our economy would get a hard hit without growth, so perhaps then we would go back to more people leaving?
I don't have all the answers sistah but im just wondering how did Oahu or Hawaii survive economicly back 40, 50 or 60 years ago when populations were 300,000 to 500,000? Since hawaii is an tourism based economy dont you develop the tourist areas only to encourage tourism but not movi

Old 02-21-2015, 03:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
how did Oahu or Hawaii survive economicly back 40, 50 or 60 years ago
Prior to the jet age - Hawaii tourism was more of a niche market, limited by literally a few resorts on Waikiki. Most traveled to Hawaii by ship and were extremely wealthy as they needed the time to take a week to get to Hawaii - stay in Hawaii - then a week to get back to the mainland. Planes did come to Hawaii, but the cost was prohibitively expensive for most people, it was a grueling 12 hour ride, and there was usually only a couple at most flights per day.

Hawaii "survived" on agriculture -specifically pineapple and mostly sugar cane. The vast majority of people worked on sugar plantations prior to WWII

White Americans arrived by the masses just prior and during WWII. Due to WWII and military significance, the population of Oahu grew immensely adding 100,000 residents during the 1940's. There were only about 1,000 hotel rooms in Hawaii at the end of WWII.

Statehood and the jet age transformed Oahu - as well as the collapse of the sugar and pineapple industry. Statehood meant Americans felt more safe traveling to Hawaii. The jet age meant people could travel to Hawaii in about 5 hours - the jet age also meant anyone traveling to places like Australia had to stop in Hawaii (look at the history of Pan Am).

The dawn of the jet age brought 290,000 visitors to Hawaii in 1960. Which then rose to 1,700,000 in 1970. There were only 46,000 visitors in 1950

Here is a economic history lesson for you:

Economic History of Hawai’i

Old 02-21-2015, 07:47 PM

^^^^

We all know before the tourism industry hawaii was an agriculture based economy. That wasn't why i asked. But tanks fo' the information, i assume there are some who didn't know and could use the information you gave.

Anyway since you give us your gift of intelligents, i thought i would give you the gift of spirit from Hawai'i. Bruddah relax no take things serious so much. Feel the mana brah and know that this is part of the spirit of the islands and the aloha spirit as well. Hope mod doesn't erase it. Come join the darkside whiteviper1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1CnhCZa10A

Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
And I ALWAYS am more than pleased to supply the necessary data and sometimes the solution to some of the problems that seem to plague the already over crowded island of Oahu. That being said, I hereby present my solution to the rail/no-rail, rapid transit problem on Oahu. Firstly, it's blatantly obvious that the crux of the problem is finding a suitable means to transport large numbers of people from distant communities on Oahu, and transport them quickly, without tying up too much space. Here is my simple, yet elegant, solution;

The projectile,, I mean 'commuter', would be traveling at a speedy 60-85 mph, with a good tailwind from Kapolei, transit time from Kapolei to Kakaako would be a short 15 minutes, (needless to say, during Kona weather, some delays could be expected), and the views would be TO DIE FOR!!!!!
All that is further required would be a slightly larger cannon, and a net suspended between two of the new towers in Kakaako as the 'receiving area'. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the State of Hawaii didn't come up with this first?? Oh well, genius is a burden sometimes.

I'm trying to work an in flight,,, uuuurrrrpppp,,,,, scuze me, beverage service into the plan

Don't forget, I'm ALWAYS here to help
Your solution is quite brilliant. However, while you have settled the problem of commuting FROM Kapolei TO Honolulu, you apparently did not include any mechanism for the return trip. Oversight, I'm sure. Fortunately, similar infrastructure is already in place in the Honolulu area and ready to be put to use:

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,309,332 times
Quote:
Despite that i still haven't seen anything that disputes my original point. Thou the jet age theory is plausible if one wants to ignore the impact of redevelopment and modernization on population growth in Oahu. The problem is it doesn't hold up under logic. If the jet age was the cause then why wouldn't the other islands be overcrowded like oahu? Further if just being Hawaii was the attraction and being tropical islands was the lure to move and live then all the islands would be overcrowded right? See the reason Oahu is overcrowded and the other islands are not is because Oahu looks and has the feel of any big city and is modernized. Thus my original point, stop redevelopment and control the population. No majority of people wants to move to an area that doesn't have the attraction of mainland comforts, thus also why other islands and oahu distant past were not overcrowded. Every other argument against is just a distraction.
The growth on the neighbor islands from 1960 to present far outstrips the growth of Oahu. Oahu just started with a bigger base.

Oahu went from about 500k to 953k (less than double)
Maui went from about 35k to 144k (quadruple growth)
The BI went from about 61k to 185k (triple growth)
Kauai went from about 28k to 67k (more than double)

Hawaii Population Change

You can see the biggest jumps in the neighbor islands when they built runways that could accommodate direct flights from the mainland and not have to go through HNL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu