Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 AM

16,572 posts, read 10,679,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
And no, you don't widen freeways, you create express lanes out of existing lanes. When drivers sitting in traffic see buses whipping by, it gives more incentive to give up the car.
Political suicide. As it stands now, IIRC, the H-1 has 6 lanes (3 in each direction), all of which are at capacity during peak hours. By making one of those lanes a bus-only lane, you've just shrunk your lane capacity by a third. Maybe, over time, enough people would switch to the express buses to make it worth while. But in the short term -- which is the only term most politicians understand -- you'd have absolutely gridlock on the two general-purpose lanes while the third lane is almost empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Any objections or concerns about the future Honolulu Rail Transit system?

Source: Honolulu Rail Transit
It's not going to Waikiki? With a huge, ready-made market of tourists and service-industry workers packed in to that densely populated little space? Why in blazes not?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not going to Waikiki? With a huge, ready-made market of tourists and service-industry workers packed in to that densely populated little space? Why in blazes not?
Stops at Ala Moana mall. I'd imagine it won't go to Waikiki due to cost and the rail is meant for commuters, not tourists. The number of worker in Waikiki with staggered shifts is much smaller than downtown who generally come to work at the same time.

A better value proposition rather than Waikiki would be having a station at University of Hawaii - when UH is not in session you definitely see a drop in traffic.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
The reality is even if you build lightrail your still going to have a high traffic issue. Like Max here people use it but more people still drive cars.

I have to admit its kinda frustrating this growth issue topic because its like trying to solve alcoholism by switching to drinking different types of alcohol.

One group talks about how we need lightrail and taller buildings to handle the population growth but then don't realise that the reason we have a population growth is because we are building taller, redeveloping and building lightrail type projects in Oahu.

Kinda an insane cycle in my opinion. And like most locals concerned about mass redeveloping is it being planned properly for the future?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Stops at Ala Moana mall. I'd imagine it won't go to Waikiki due to cost and the rail is meant for commuters, not tourists. The number of worker in Waikiki with staggered shifts is much smaller than downtown who generally come to work at the same time.

A better value proposition rather than Waikiki would be having a station at University of Hawaii - when UH is not in session you definitely see a drop in traffic.
I realize that Ala Moana is close, but you're still going to need shuttle buses to link up with Waikiki. Forcing a transfer is a disincentive to use transit.

The staggered shifts of the workers, and the random travel times of the tourists, is actually an argument in favor of extending the line to Waikiki. These folks, by riding in off-hours, would help spread out the demand and thus maximize the utilization of the system across different hours of the day. If the system is to rely solely on commuters, it will be packed during rush hours but sparsely occupied the rest of the day.

I do agree that the UH-Manoa would also be a good destination, for the some of the same reasons that Waikiki would be.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I realize that Ala Moana is close, but you're still going to need shuttle buses to link up with Waikiki. Forcing a transfer is a disincentive to use transit.

The staggered shifts of the workers, and the random travel times of the tourists, is actually an argument in favor of extending the line to Waikiki. These folks, by riding in off-hours, would help spread out the demand and thus maximize the utilization of the system across different hours of the day. If the system is to rely solely on commuters, it will be packed during rush hours but sparsely occupied the rest of the day.
Ride the commuter trains in Chicago to/from the suburbs during the daytime and they barely have any people - same with BART in San Francisco. The majority of tourists don't leave Waikiki - and the Japanese tourists all use the tour companies - I definitely don't see them using rail from the airport with all the luggage they carry.

Except for Kalakaua Ave going into the convention center from the highway - Waikiki isn't that congested like the west side of Oahu - it isn't like the Las Vegas strip on a Friday night.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:

All this said, I am in favor of the Honolulu rail system.

It's confused voters like yourself that brought this catastrophic mess to our aina.

Malahini are much more supportive of rail than locals... "Oh, where I come from we have light rail and it's juuuuuust wonderfullllllll!!!" Even if they have no real understanding of the system in its proposed form and how it impacts our tiny remote island, they still support it simply because where they came from they had it and they want the same way of life here.

Personally, I don't know a single long-time local that supports rail in any form. Not one person. And I know a lot of people.

This is an example of locals being overrun by special interests and outside influence. Our greedy landowners, politicians and developers took advantage of the situation and capitalized on it splendidly.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
It's confused voters like yourself that brought this catastrophic mess to our aina.

Malahini are much more supportive of rail than locals... "Oh, where I come from we have light rail and it's juuuuuust wonderfullllllll!!!" Even if they have no real understanding of the system in its proposed form and how it impacts our tiny remote island, they still support it simply because where they came from they had it and they want the same way of life here.

Personally, I don't know a single long-time local that supports rail in any form. Not one person. And I know a lot of people.

This is an example of locals being overrun by special interests and outside influence. Our greedy landowners, politicians and developers took advantage of the situation and capitalized on it splendidly.
Jesus, its about time someone other then me and few others called it for what it is. +1000

Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

This particular rail project does seem kind of silly - although it is putting a lot of people to work.

The traffic is only going to get much worse - what do you propose to fix the traffic?

I think building up Kakaako is the best solution to getting cars off of the road. I think that is the only realistic option.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
How do you think 90% of the people that ride the proposed rail system plan to get to the actual rail station? You do realize it's just a straight line elevated system, most of which cuts through areas that currently have relatively low to almost non existent population density?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu