Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be traveling to Oahu in June. It is her first trip to Hawaii. I have stayed in the Ilikai in the past, but it was a long time ago. I liked the location as Ala Moana Blvd goes in both directions at the hotel.

Is it still a nice place? Sometimes these older operations have a problem keeping the properties up. Is there another nice hotel that I should look at that's not too pricey?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
My wife and I will be traveling to Oahu in June. It is her first trip to Hawaii. I have stayed in the Ilikai in the past, but it was a long time ago. I liked the location as Ala Moana Blvd goes in both directions at the hotel.

Is it still a nice place? Sometimes these older operations have a problem keeping the properties up. Is there another nice hotel that I should look at that's not too pricey?

Thanks!
How much are you paying and what is your budget? That would help to figure if it is a good deal or not. I haven't been in the hotel room part of the building but some of the condo's I've been in are nice with the view - pool looks fine.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Hi John,

I am very familiar with the Ilikai. I have been there many times over the past 3-yrs and am currently purchasing a condo unit in the building.

The building is in beautiful condition. Millions of $$ have been spent on complete renovation of the building. Additionally, Chef Morimoto's new restaurant is right next door. Anyway, the building is in great condition.

The hotel operation is a good choice and their rooms have been remodeled. However, they are also a bit more expensive. Here is a link to their website which has some pic's of the building: Waikiki Beach Resort Hotel - Ilikai Hotel & Suites in Honolulu Hawaii

Personally, I recommend booking a private condo that has been remodeled. You can get a great unit at a much better price than the hotel operation. I have used Waikiki Oceanfront Rentals and recommended it to friends as well. They have about 70 privately owned condo's in their rental pool. They are all nicely remodeled and upgraded. You can get a great Ocean View room with full kitchen (granite counters, travertine tile floors, etc.) for very reasonable price. City view rooms start at about $99/night and Ocean View suites for not to much more.
Waikiki Hawaii (HI) Condo Rentals | Vacation | Beach | Luxury

Anyway, with respect to the building, you won't be disappointed. It is in great condition.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM

217 posts, read 431,167 times
I was there in July 2010 and HATED it. Granted my friends and I were in the timeshare portion. Many of the people staying in the hotel leave crap all over their balconies (I'm talking about stolen carts from grocery stores, laundry, trash bags full of stuff etc). We also had a beautiful view of another building of people who did the same thing.

Customer service was lousy here and the workers at the front desk were cold and unfriendly. You also aren't exactly on the beach and have to walk out of the hotel, through a walkway, and through a parking lot if I can remember.

I really liked the Hilton next door. Pricier yes, but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I was there in July 2010 and HATED it. Granted my friends and I were in the timeshare portion. Many of the people staying in the hotel leave crap all over their balconies (I'm talking about stolen carts from grocery stores, laundry, trash bags full of stuff etc). We also had a beautiful view of another building of people who did the same thing.

Customer service was lousy here and the workers at the front desk were cold and unfriendly. You also aren't exactly on the beach and have to walk out of the hotel, through a walkway, and through a parking lot if I can remember.

I really liked the Hilton next door. Pricier yes, but you get what you pay for.

Hi MMoon,

It's odd that your experience is so completely different than mine has been over the many times I've stayed there.

I've never seen any of the things you're describing on the Lanai's. In fact, the building has very strict covenants that prohibit any of the item's you are describing from being on the Lanai's (laundry, trash bags, shopping carts, etc.).

I do know that the TimeShare units in the building are, for the most part, not updated. They also have their own reception desk on the 2nd floor of the building specifically for Timeshare guests. The front desk in the Lobby is operated by the Hotel for the hotel guests, not the timeshare folks.

I'm not attempting to discount your experience because I'm sure your experience was what it was. I personally love the building and have had a very good experience every time I've been there.

Because the building includes a hotel operation, a time-share operation and privately owned condo's, you do get people using the building for different purposes.

And I agree ... it's definately not a vacation resort property like the Hilton Hawaiian village.

John, there are hundreds of reviews from people who've stayed at the Ilikai posted on Trip Advisor. It'll give you a good feeling for what people liked and disliked about the building.
Ilikai Hotel & Suites (Honolulu, HI) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

My best advise to you would be to read the reviews. Then read the views of other properties you may be considering.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 PM

217 posts, read 431,167 times
I read the reviews on Tripadvisor. Most of them are people with good experiences, but the bad ones are similar to mine. I'm happy you had a good experience. Looks like at the time they weren't strict on what was on the Lanais outside because they were there.

I ended up booking a hotel room after I stayed in my friend's timeshare which is why I have experience with the front desk there. It's a long story but I spend 5 nights at the timeshare and 1 night solo at the hotel.

I personally would never stay at a hotel that did offer timeshare units....

We will leave it at that. I wouldn't go back to this hotel even if there were good deals going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Hi MMoon,

It's odd that your experience is so completely different than mine has been over the many times I've stayed there.

I've never seen any of the things you're describing on the Lanai's. In fact, the building has very strict covenants that prohibit any of the item's you are describing from being on the Lanai's (laundry, trash bags, shopping carts, etc.).

I do know that the TimeShare units in the building are, for the most part, not updated. They also have their own reception desk on the 2nd floor of the building specifically for Timeshare guests. The front desk in the Lobby is operated by the Hotel for the hotel guests, not the timeshare folks.

I'm not attempting to discount your experience because I'm sure your experience was what it was. I personally love the building and have had a very good experience every time I've been there.

Because the building includes a hotel operation, a time-share operation and privately owned condo's, you do get people using the building for different purposes.

And I agree ... it's definately not a vacation resort property like the Hilton Hawaiian village.

John, there are hundreds of reviews from people who've stayed at the Ilikai posted on Trip Advisor. It'll give you a good feeling for what people liked and disliked about the building.
Ilikai Hotel & Suites (Honolulu, HI) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

My best advise to you would be to read the reviews. Then read the views of other properties you may be considering.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
Waikikiboy--

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the condo rental program.

MMoon, sorry your stay was so unsatisifying.

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: