Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM

109 posts, read 351,224 times

Advertisements

The place doesn;t have to be in waikiki or anything, I just thought that, when looking, that was the area with the lowest rents, obviously small places 200-400 square feet. I also would look into people that rent out houses, or portions of their houses. I have a friend in waimanalo that says there are quite a few she sees, but they rarely advertise on craigslist or whatever. Either way, I know this will be the hardest thing we have ever done. I do appreciate all the posts. I have heard horror stories about certain areas, then you hear a different side, so who knows. It seems as if there is crime everywhere, but if you are respectful and mind your business, you should be okay. So looking into areas other than waikiki is fine with me, just don't want to take a 4 hour bus ride to whatever job I get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your best bet for "cheap" and an area with high turnover of tenants would be around the Univeristy of Hawaii area. You should budget about $1,000 for the dog/quarantine process and expect to pay a rental premium over other units that don't allow pets.
What do you mean, do you mean when they say 50$/mo for pet? And thanks for the info!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Thanks! I actually am more worried about the size of the dog and that it is a pit bull mix. But as I said, I talked to a few landlords who said the same thing, that some will not allow it, and some will as long as you get renters insurance which is like 300-400/year. I will spend a while actually there, trying to meet with people, introduce the dog etc. I have no doubt this will be tough, but I think it will be worth it and will go through whatever I have to go through in order to make it happen!
A pit bull mix, in a tiny small little Honolulu apartment with the wife and on and on.

Just seems like more complications upon more complications.

In general, I've found that dog people are not simplistic minimalists. People that like big dogs around, are usually people that are not comfortable living in tiny little studios.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be long and you'd be pining for your house with a yard and space galore. You might want to just rent out your Ohio house rather than sell it altogether.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
I really hate to be negative, but here it goes. A pit bull mix in a studio? Is that fair to your dog? I have a miniature schnauzer and I wouldn't make him live in studio apartment.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:58 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
That is a very good point. We have a pit bull and a 2 bedroom place, enough room but she has to be on a leash everytime she goes out (no fenced yard). It is a bigger chore than one might think for her to get her exercise, but she is our baby so we do what we have to do. Merry christmas!!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 AM

I get It, and a studio wouldn't be exactly what we would "want" but wouldn't mind. believe it or not the dog is, and has always been inside, in a small area, and crated when we sleep and work. 90% of the time the dog lays on the couch. I take him on leash every time he goes out now, do that obviousky wouldn't change. I appreciate all the and It makes sense. A studio wohld be last result, but I don't have space galore or a big yard now, and when we have stayed with famiky with yards, the dog wasn't used to It and just eanted to come In.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A pit bull mix, in a tiny small little Honolulu apartment with the wife and on and on.

Just seems like more complications upon more complications.

In general, I've found that dog people are not simplistic minimalists. People that like big dogs around, are usually people that are not comfortable living in tiny little studios.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be long and you'd be pining for your house with a yard and space galore. You might want to just rent out your Ohio house rather than sell it altogether.
I understand your point, and truly appreciate your input. Renting out the house from Hawaii would be a nightmare. Also, the dog is not "big" he is only maybe knee high and very lazy. Lays in the same spot all day, and is crated when we work and sleep, walks are important but as I have said, we manually leash, and walk our dog outside to use the bathroom now, so that wouldn't change unless of course we somehow found a home to rent that had a small enclosed area, but that is not something we need, because we do not have it now and have had him for 4 years. the dog is a slug! just lays there lol

Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 34,540 times
[SIZE=3]I ‘m glad you are following your dream of moving to Hawaii. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you know where you will be working? If not you might want to find jobs first before finding a rental so you both can be close work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] In addition, Pad Mapper is a great online resource for finding rentals. This site allows you to see visual outside views of the properties, compare local apartment prices, and search for properties that allow dogs. I would recommend checking this site daily as some rentals go quickly. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I too am moving to Hawaii and bringing my small dog in just a few months. I am working hard to prepare in advance in order to make my move successful. Please let us know how your search is going. Wishing you the best Marcy [/SIZE]

Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6769 View Post
[SIZE=3]I ‘m glad you are following your dream of moving to Hawaii. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you know where you will be working? If not you might want to find jobs first before finding a rental so you both can be close work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] In addition, Pad Mapper is a great online resource for finding rentals. This site allows you to see visual outside views of the properties, compare local apartment prices, and search for properties that allow dogs. I would recommend checking this site daily as some rentals go quickly. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I too am moving to Hawaii and bringing my small dog in just a few months. I am working hard to prepare in advance in order to make my move successful. Please let us know how your search is going. Wishing you the best Marcy [/SIZE]
No, I do not know, I wasn't sure on how to go about that. It is still a ways away, less than a year hopefully but I always heard employers wouldn't even consider an application from someone with an out of state address. So I wasn't sure if I should just see what looked feasible, and contact them once I actually get there because I do not want to lie and give them an 808 number (which I will get prior to leaving) when I am not actually there, because what if they want an interview quicker than I can get there ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: