Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM

257 posts, read 491,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Out of the various areas I lived on Oahu, Kapahulu was BY FAR my favorite spot. It was so convenient to everything. I walked to Safeway. I walked or rode my bike down to Waikiki. I worked over by Ala Moana and that's pretty much the only time I used my car... and because I parked at the mall for free. If you're working in downtown, I'd highly recommend taking The Bus... that's what my roommate did.

I also lived in the Moiiliili area near the Star Market on King Street. That had similar but not nearly as many amenities as Kapahulu.
Can you find plentiful free street parking in Kapahulu or Moilili? If I decide to live near either of two area, I probably won't use my car/s much at all. What I am a bit torn about is to live in the burbs or in the city. I am used to the traffic as I am from Chicago. Currently I commute 12 miles and take me 45min to hour to commute one way. But in this instance, I would probably choose to live in either of 2 areas first starting out then maybe move to burbs I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
Can you find plentiful free street parking in Kapahulu or Moilili? If I decide to live near either of two area, I probably won't use my car/s much at all. What I am a bit torn about is to live in the burbs or in the city. I am used to the traffic as I am from Chicago. Currently I commute 12 miles and take me 45min to hour to commute one way. But in this instance, I would probably choose to live in either of 2 areas first starting out then maybe move to burbs I guess.
Yes, definitely. Worst case scenario, you may have to walk a block or two, but that's no big deal. Most apartments in those areas DO have parking with them though. When I lived in Kapahulu, we had one spot, so whoever got home first got it, the other person would park on the street. But furthest away I ever had to park was probably two blocks.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info Becca. BTW, I creeped and read your story. Great story too!
No problem! I posted my story so people could get a different perspective

Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM

13 posts, read 21,989 times
Yes, Honolulu can be congested, but I rarely seen distress and the only time I experienced road rage was when the driver of the car I was in, who was from Boston, got p-o'ed at a local who let another person in ahead of him at a congested intersection. He landed on his horn, shot the f-bomb from the convertible we we're in and totally amazed all the people around him. They'd never seen anything like it. Hawaiians are so mellow.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM

257 posts, read 491,500 times
Quote:
Yes, definitely. Worst case scenario, you may have to walk a block or two, but that's no big deal. Most apartments in those areas DO have parking with them though. When I lived in Kapahulu, we had one spot, so whoever got home first got it, the other person would park on the street. But furthest away I ever had to park was probably two blocks.
That's nothing...I've done that plenty here. Thanks again

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Out of the various areas I lived on Oahu, Kapahulu was BY FAR my favorite spot. It was so convenient to everything. I walked to Safeway. I walked or rode my bike down to Waikiki. I worked over by Ala Moana and that's pretty much the only time I used my car... and because I parked at the mall for free. If you're working in downtown, I'd highly recommend taking The Bus... that's what my roommate did.

I also lived in the Moiiliili area near the Star Market on King Street. That had similar but not nearly as many amenities as Kapahulu.
haha, we must have been neighbors at some point. I lived in Moiliili too. small island.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
UH Grad, You're are right on. Thank you for that great suggestion. Any other areas similar to this you can recommend? It looks like there aren't much street parking near here?
Kaimuki off Waialae is really nice too. There are apartments and houses for rent around there and waialae ave has tons of good restaurants and bars. Especially up around 12th ave. You are a little further from the beach but closer to Kahala mall and the farmers market at TCC. We just visited last month and had dinner in Kaimuki twice.

Moiliili/mcully is also a good area. Basically similar to Kapahulu but adjacent to the ewa side of waikiki. I liked date st/kapahulu better but neither are bad choices if you are going to live in town.

I would definitely recommned living in town if you work in town and like social activities/bars,restaurants. Street parking is gonna be an issue no matter where you are in town. You just gotta deal with that. It sucks but it is what it is. I remember reading that Hawaii has the most cars per capita of any state. Not sure if it is true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmheidi View Post
Yes, Honolulu can be congested, but I rarely seen distress and the only time I experienced road rage was when the driver of the car I was in, who was from Boston, got p-o'ed at a local who let another person in ahead of him at a congested intersection. He landed on his horn, shot the f-bomb from the convertible we we're in and totally amazed all the people around him. They'd never seen anything like it. Hawaiians are so mellow.
As a whole they are pretty relaxed drivers. But I saw plenty of road rage, cutting up the shoulder, speeding through residential areas etc...

Plus, at the end of the day, I don't care if you are angry or oblivious when you run me over on my moped... I am dead either way. The lack of driving knowledge and amount of heads on swivels that I saw driving around there was pretty high. The good thing is that everyone drives slow.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM

43 posts, read 139,490 times

Here's what the H1 looks like much of the time. Both directions. This can be any time of the day.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM

60 posts, read 245,281 times
Parking in downtown varies, depending on how close you want to be to your office. I pay $180/month for restaurant row (which you can do for $9 a day early bird) but it was easier for me to have a card. Many of my co workers park in lots further away, usually open lots (vs covered garages) for cheaper, though I don't know exactly what they pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: