Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 AM

406 posts, read 865,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your budget is not sufficient for a 2-3 bedroom place unless you are willing to live in a very rough the edges place. I'd bump your budget by 50%.

2 people on $60K - some CAN and DO - many single people making $50K pack and go.

Dream hard - look at it as a glass half full proposition - it doesn't matter if you have to live check to check or in a run down place - you are in HAWAII!
Heck white, I live check to check and I don't live in Hawaii! I could probably do better in Hawaii because property taxes here are eating up my paycheck.

I'm gonna fill my glass - with vodka and 7, no ice!

Mickey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM

37 posts, read 61,685 times
i dont pay attention to rents, but I walk by the Marin tower almost every day and see a one bedroom sign for $1200 on up. It's on Smith St. at Nimirtz. High rise.

EVerybody has differnent opinions. I think most would not do something for under $x amount of dollars or other criteria. But you have to do what is best for you. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams not being able to survive off $60k AND for two if you needed to. But as someone said, they knew someone who fled making $50K for a single person, although I could live quite well and then some off of that salary...

Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
whtviper - When we lived in Aiea back in 2005, we were in a small 724sq ft place, and it was just fine. Some people don't like tight quarters, but it wasn't so bad for us....we just had to get used to living in it since we moved from a 1600 sq ft place on the mainland. I can't imagine NOT being able to live on $60K, as we were only making about $28K back then as well.

I just know that the cost of everything has went up since then and was hoping to find out what it's risen to, which is why I had originally posted. We just want to be sort of prepared (again) when we make our return.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
whtviper - When we lived in Aiea back in 2005, we were in a small 724sq ft place, and it was just fine. Some people don't like tight quarters, but it wasn't so bad for us....we just had to get used to living in it since we moved from a 1600 sq ft place on the mainland. I can't imagine NOT being able to live on $60K, as we were only making about $28K back then as well.

I just know that the cost of everything has went up since then and was hoping to find out what it's risen to, which is why I had originally posted. We just want to be sort of prepared (again) when we make our return.
Ok, lets go back to the original post - what rent has risen to, a single family home for rent with 2-3 bedrooms is out of reach on your budget. You'll need to rent something smallish, perhaps not as small as 724 sq feet, and you should focus your search in difficult to commute areas where rent is more reasonable like Kapolei, Ewa Beach, or Mililani.

The median household income in Oahu is now over $70K and rents have risen to reflect that. Rents currently seem to also be going up currently with the improving economy. As I mentioned, some but not most (by looking at median salary) live on $60K for 2 people or more.

I don't know where in N Virginia you are at - but I'll assume you are familiar with Washington DC, lets use as an example. Most cost of living calculators tell you a $60K salary in DC is comparable to a $86K salary in Honolulu.

Food looks to be 20% higher so budget for that. I have no idea on car insurance - call your agent. Cable is probably about the same. Electric will run you $150 with no air to potentially over $300 with air.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
I would second the suggestion to look at Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Mililani etc. I think a more reasonable amount for renting anything decent would be $2000 and up. The commute isn't bad to the airport if you can avoid rush hour. Starts at 6:30 am ends around 8:00 am and 3:30 pm till about 6:00 pm.

Food can be a shocker, but it's also one of the areas you have some control over. (Unlike insurance, utilities etc.) We spend around $600 per month on groceries and cook at home most of the time.

And as far as your ability to be a housewife...I say it's good work if you can get it!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 27,227 times
I cant really help on the housing since im still a poor college student but you could always try craigslist. There are people who rent out part of their homes that are separated from the main part if youre okay with that kind of thing. There is some housing near Liliha area that got refurnished recently but the sq footage is small. Theyre called Waena Apartments. Ive been in the 2 bedroom one since my friend lives there and its not bad.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:25 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
My daughter just renteded a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the Punahou area for about $1400 (plus utilities except water). Can you rent the "non" apartment you seek for cheap? Maybe an ohana unit, if you can find one. [Be sure to check out the area carefully, especially when you get into cheaper rent category.]

If you don't have a car payment (which it sounds like you do not), and no debt, and no kids in private school or college, yes, you can get by on $60K if you watch your budget.

$60K less 1/3 taxes = $40K left.
$40 K less 18K rent (@ $1500/mo) = 22K left
That is a bit over $400 a week to cover food, insurance, utilities, etc.
Definitely doable if you budget.

Plan well, watch your dollars, and be a happy domestic engineer who helps keep the budget in control by doing things like good home cooking, not needing a second car, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
CyberCity & Amy P - Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: