Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM

33 posts, read 117,712 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'll be moving into my apartment in a few weeks & would like to ask about alternatives for getting TV content at a decent price. I've never had satellite service that I liked (it gets interrupted by the weather, and I don't like the delay when you change channels). And cable gets so darn expensive.

I'm thinking of something like this and want to know if it's practical... Putting up an HD antenna and getting free local HD broadcasts of the local channels & networks. Add to that a Tivo device with Netflix (with or without the DVD option). That should give a pretty broad choice of programming and total cost of everything is like $8/mo plus the cost of my internet.

In lieu of the HD antenna, maybe just basic cable instead. I don't know who the local providers are.

Does this plan make sense? Is anyone else doing it this way, or found a better alternative? FWIW, I'll be on a higher floor in a Aiea condo facing south with a view of Pearl Harbor. If I crane my neck I can see downtown so I should be able to mount the HD antenna outside facing west if that would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Hulu Plus is offering a 1 week free trial - then $8/month - that can get you the HD TV shows.

Hulu - Plus

Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,283 times
The two big players in TV/Internet/Phone service over copper are:
Hawaiian Telecom over phone lines. About $35/mo for internet.
Time Warner Cable over cable lines. About $42/mo for internet.

I have had both and haven't had an issue with either. Can't help on the HD Antenna idea, have no idea if that would work. Best of luck.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,061,284 times
When I read "TV alternatives" I was thinking a good book...a long walk...hanging with friends...doing volunteer work...playing music...surfing or canoeing...arts and crafts...

Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM

173 posts, read 466,553 times
We have a 32" HDTV flat screen with just the (rabbit ear) antenna and the reception is very good. You probably don't need a Tivo - you can just get a blue ray dvd player that has wifi so you can get Netflix streaming service. On the mainland I had Netflix streaming but did not like the content. Not enough movies, too many TV shows - so the selection was not very good.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

34 posts, read 63,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
When I read "TV alternatives" I was thinking a good book...a long walk...hanging with friends...doing volunteer work...playing music...surfing or canoeing...arts and crafts...
lol was thinking the same thing!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,079,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I lived in a place on Oahu and didnt know the TV was broken for 3 weeks.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,061,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
I lived in a place on Oahu and didnt know the TV was broken for 3 weeks.
LOL...an ex- gave me a TV because I didn't have one and he wanted to watch things when he visited me (I tried to give it back to him but he thought I should have a TV and refused it), and I never turned it on even once after we broke up...two years later, I was moving and went to sell it to a friend and it wouldn't turn on. I haven't a clue how long it was broken!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post
We have a 32" HDTV flat screen with just the (rabbit ear) antenna and the reception is very good. You probably don't need a Tivo - you can just get a blue ray dvd player that has wifi so you can get Netflix streaming service. On the mainland I had Netflix streaming but did not like the content. Not enough movies, too many TV shows - so the selection was not very good.
Just wondering which antenna you are using? I've tried a couple of antennas from Best buy, but I could receive no more than 5 channels! and only 2 of them are stable.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

18 posts, read 42,029 times
Check out this link below to get a rough idea of what your reception will be like from a certain location. If you click on the call sign for each station a little antenna appears on the map and shows the line of sight to the location you entered, pretty neat.
The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu