Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 94,462 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to find the 'rock fever' such a big deal. There are so many island countries in the world (Caribbean and rest of Polynesian countries) and people have been living happily on them without much trouble. Where did they go when there was no air travel and sailing on traditional boats from island to island took days if not more.

I have lived on a Caribbean island for close to 3 years to attend school and never felt like the island was shrinking. The total area of this island was ~34 square miles (compared to ~600 square miles of Oahu). I felt so sad leaving the place once I was done with school. The whole time I was there on the island, it was only those fellow students who complained of island fever. Every local friend I had was just living life happily without any signs of the so called 'rock fever.'

My 0.02 cents.....

-ML

Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 AM

431 posts, read 940,324 times
There have been studies done (really) about relocation.
Those who have been born and raised in inland locations felt isolated, abandoned, and "rootless" when relocated to island locations. Those who were born and raised surrounded by water? They felt claustrophobic when landlocked. They were quite okay when plopped in the middle of the ocean.
As one who was surrounded by water since birth I find the ocean comforting, soothing, and so very much home, no matter what the longitude or latitude. I am perfectly okay in this watery wonderland.
YMMV.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,987 times
Do what I do: take a hike! When you start exploring on foot, a whole new dimension of the islands opens up. You can find both new locations that you can't get to by car, even 4x4, and a new perspective where you learn about the geology and biology of the islands. And don't think that every area looks the same. Up close, you start to understand the land.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
What part of
Quote:
You don't get to go somewhere else by any means whatsoever before you get behind the wheel!
didn't you understand?
Um, all of it. That sentence makes no grammatical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
When I've asked people at work, born and raised, how often they like to get away - it seems like once a year is the typical response I get - but they seem across the board want to get off the island every now and then. I suspect the ratio is higher on Oahu with more working professionals than the outer islands.
A fair number of my students have never been off the island, much less out of the state. And lots of the local folks I know who are in their 40s and beyond have never been to the mainland in their whole lives. It depends a lot on who you interact with... these folks are not the business professionals who travel for work, of course...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM

206 posts, read 571,000 times
Thanks for your comments folks.

As I suspected, I'm not the only one who would feel "waterlocked"

In parting, I would ask you to ponder the following.

What if long ago and far away, the people sat in awe of what they believed was the most beautiful, perfect existence. Oh, let's say it's on a tropical island in the middle of a vast, magnificent ocean.

They would have no concept of exploration or "out there."

Would the human race still exist?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:

What if long ago and far away, the people sat in awe of what they believed was the most beautiful, perfect existence. Oh, let's say it's on a tropical island in the middle of a vast, magnificent ocean.

I feel like we need to get an NSA codebreaker to figure out what are trying to say. Why so cryptic? Spit it out.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 PM

257 posts, read 491,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I feel like we need to get an NSA codebreaker to figure out what are trying to say. Why so cryptic? Spit it out.
Seems like a type of guy who'd sneak in a pet or a two. I wouldn't rent him an apartment.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times
Lol!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
You want 'rock fever'? Spend a little time on Meck atoll......

Aloha rock heads

Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
Quote:

Thou doth exude withertude and saltiness in cardboard vampire recluse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: