Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 AM

8 posts, read 16,950 times

Advertisements

Weird question but I am going to school at UH. I need a job and I want to be able to walk to different places and apply/hand out my resume. Where is a good/big cluster of places close that I could apply at all walking places if that makes sense??

It does not have to be that close to UH. Just in Honolulu and Waikiki area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
That's really too broad a question to answer well. What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb116 View Post
Weird question but I am going to school at UH. I need a job and I want to be able to walk to different places and apply/hand out my resume. Where is a good/big cluster of places close that I could apply at all walking places if that makes sense??

Go downtown and than to Waikiki....

Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:

Why not apply for a job on campus?

Former athletic director/new "marketing and communications administrator" Jim Donovan will probably need a few assistants.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM

I guess I meant like a strip of shops or stores. When we drove to the beach the other day I think in Waikiki there was this LONG strip of nice stores and shops. Places like that.

Hoping for retail or food services. Hotels would be nice too.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
I guess I meant like a strip of shops or stores. When we drove to the beach the other day I think in Waikiki there was this LONG strip of nice stores and shops. Places like that.

Kalakua Ave in Waikiki is the main drag and includes the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and plenty of hotels.

You could also try Ala Moana Mall.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Kalakua Ave in Waikiki is the main drag and includes the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and plenty of hotels.

You could also try Ala Moana Mall.
Thank you much. Looking for an answer like this.

Is there a big group of restaurants close to each other as well?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:

Same thing - both Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and Ala Moana mall have what you are looking for.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:

Waikiki is not that big. Just grab a map and walk around. It's really not that hard to find the places you're looking for.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:

OK, now I think I've got the picture. You want some kind of a job, somewhere. Does that about cover it?

That's OK. I was there once myself, back before the polar ice caps began to melt. So here's what I recommend...

Start with whatever businesses are closest to you and fan out from there. The less distance you have to travel to get to work, the better. Walk into each business in turn, and tell them you are looking for a job and ask if they have any openings. Most places will say "no, not now," and then you can thank them and walk out. You could ask if you can leave your resume, but 99% of the time they'll just throw it in the trash as soon as you are out the door so why bother?

But once in a while somebody might say "why, yes we do" or maybe just "we're taking applications," in which case, yippie skippie!, ask for an application to fill out. Then try to talk to a manager about it right now! And if there is no manager available now, ask when they will be?

You may have heard the term "pounding the pavement?" This is what that is all about... walking from one business to another to another, because there are not many openings, and the only thing tou have on your side is your persistence.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: