Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 AM

34 posts, read 73,238 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Any recommendations on the food trucks in Oahu?
So far I've tried the Taco truck on Kapiolani & Piikoi, the shrimp trucks up north(of course), and Momo Burger food trucks.
Does anyone have any good spots they go to?
I heard there was a Korean BBQ truck somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
The food trucks are quickly dying away - the taco truck I think you are referring to on Kapiolani is out of business - the burger truck that used to be on Beretania/Alekea now out of business - the Chicago dog truck at Kapiolani/Ward out of business - all the trucks on Kapiolani near Atkinson are all out of business.

The North Shore shrimp trucks are the only ones that seem to make it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,068 times
If you like food trucks & don't mind a long-ish wait, I suggest checking out either "Eat the Street" or "Honolulu Night Market" (run by the same folks, I think). Info here: Home - Street Grindz

Disclaimer: I have never successfully eaten anything but an Ono Pop at "Eat the Street." Waited in line 45 minutes. Wasn't anywhere near the front, and was starving. Gave up & went to a restaurant. I did have some good stuff from "The Pig and the Lady" at the Night Market (you can also get their awesome food at the HFB farmer's markets) and also from "Miso and Ale". Then waited in line at the Taco Truck (I think) 45 minutes, wasn't very close, gave up & went home. Maybe I keep choosing the wrong lines, because people around me seem to be eating!

The popularity of these events suggests whtviper1 may be hasty in declaring the movement dead. But there is high turnover... two of my favorite trucks (Melt and Soul) are long since gone. But new trucks do seem to keep popping up and replacing the old ones.

I do wish that the food trucks in Honolulu would figure out how to serve good food quickly. Many of them have got the first one down, but the long lines and near infinite wait times at the food truck events suggest the second goal isn't even on their radar screens.

Maybe find a list of the trucks that are going to be at Eat the Street, and then track those trucks down somewhere else during the week? I've heard great things about "Puffettes" which often parks somewhere in Kaka'ako, but every time I see them I seem to be full.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,346 times
food trucks are FAR from dying away
the Burger Truck you are referring to is NOT out of business. It now has a more permanent home on UH Manoa Campus
the Chicago Food Truck is NOT out of business. They have relocated to Kauai
The kapiolani location youre referring to, currently houses an Acai truck called Tropical Tribe. (however the owners of that particular location are constantly raising the rent, so trucks often move on from that lot)

There are tons of food trucks all over the island. Just because you dont have the information, doesnt mean theyre out of business. A little research goes a long way.

Also, Soul is still alive and well. They are at every Eat The Street event, as well as wednesday farmers market at the blaisdell.
Melt on the other hand, isnt dead, but they have moved on to other things. The Melt truck is in kakaako by hanks haute dogs, but it doesnt operate anymore. The owners of melt have opened 3 restaurants since they moved on from their truck.

Last edited by darwlabs; 10-15-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post
Aloha,

Any recommendations on the food trucks in Oahu?
So far I've tried the Taco truck on Kapiolani & Piikoi, the shrimp trucks up north(of course), and Momo Burger food trucks.
Does anyone have any good spots they go to?
I heard there was a Korean BBQ truck somewhere?
The Korean Taco Truck youre talking about is Gogi. However they have since moved to Las Vegas, and then sold the truck. The original Gogi truck now has a home in Kahului on Maui, and is still serving daily. I just got back from visiting them about a month ago.

as newUHprof suggested, your best bet is to check out Street Grindz on their website, and follow them on FB and Twitter. There are always new blogs about current trucks, and even new vendors popping up all the time. And their twitter stream is always updated with retweets of trucks locations and menus. Im sure you can find whatever youre looking for there

good luck

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwlabs View Post
Also, Soul is still alive and well. They are at every Eat The Street event, as well as wednesday farmers market at the blaisdell.
But they refuse to take my $20 pre-paid stamp card, so at least in their minds it is not the same as the Soul truck that used to be so very close to my house.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Leonard's Bakery has a couple of trucks that do different locations and serve their Malasadas. The BEST! You can call their store and find out the location for the day.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
But they refuse to take my $20 pre-paid stamp card, so at least in their minds it is not the same as the Soul truck that used to be so very close to my house.
To my knowledge, the only "Soul" is the same one owned and operated by Chef Sean, and has been for quite some time now. But i suppose theres always a chance were not talking about the same thing.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Leonard's Bakery has a couple of trucks that do different locations and serve their Malasadas. The BEST! You can call their store and find out the location for the day.
These can also be found at Eat The Street, and some of the trucks have permanent locations. I know for sure there is one in the Waikele Outlet Mall shopping center.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

34 posts, read 73,238 times
thanks for the info everyone!

newUHprof, yes, i will definitely check out Eat the Street.
I had no idea there was such an event!

darwlabs, thanks you SO much!
i've been trying to find out info about this korean taco truck.
for some reason i couldn't find much info about it online.
maybe i should visit maui to check them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu