Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 117,286 times

Advertisements

Are there any laws about excessive noise on the streets? At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (nominally true) there are a few things that drive me crazy.

To put in context... For a while, I stayed around Ala Wai Canal. I could deal with the loud drunk punks at 2 AM (sorry if I hurt any feelings) because it comes with the neighborhood. You should expect some carousing if you live around Waikiki. I knew I was living in the midst of vacation rentals.

Now I'm near Pearlridge. There's a hospital nearby & we get ambulances wailing 24/7. I can deal with that. (1) They're doing good things, hopefully taking care of the sick & injured. (2) I knew about the hospital before signing my lease, so I it's all on me.

My gripes is the crazy loud cars up & down the road. Either engine noise, which it seems like some people take pride in just how ridiculously loud they can make their cars. This also goes for Monster Bikes with loud pipes, or annoying little 2-stroke motorbikes that can barely make it up the 2-degree incline near my place. I'm on the 12th floor and some of these idiots literally make the walls vibrate. Considering there are 1000's of residential units in a few square blocks, that means each knucklehead that comes by after midnight is waking up thousands of people.

Final gripe are the stereo systems in these cars. Not getting into people's taste in music (to each his own, but between you & me it's plain cr@p). But blasting it at roughly the volume of an F-18 on afterburners just isn't necessary. Any place I've lived in the past, there were noise ordinances and they were enforced. That doesn't seem to be the case on Oahu. What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Here you go - the Oahu Noise Reference Manual:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hsemaj...manual2008.pdf

Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Interesting. It talks about the issue of noise pollution & who to call if you have a gripe, but does not set forth any statutes. I wonder if there are specific decibel limits for vehicles & other noise polluters.

It says to call 911, which I definitely will not do. However, I might make a visit to the local constabulary to get their thoughts on it. Truthfully, if there are specific decibel limits, they could park a squad car on my intersection on any day & any time, and issue a good half dozen citations within an hour. If nothing else, it will keep the city coffers full.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Oh - you wanted the statute - here you go

NPC Law Library: Hawaii Noise Code

Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think the the boom box law is what you are looking for - not sure of HRS number though.

It cites that you should not be able to hear an audio system 30 feet away. Good luck enforcing that though.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 PM

whtviper's link did the trick; that gives me what I need. As far as boom boxes, my condo management is pretty good about noise onsite (from other residents). There is really only 1 tenant that I'm aware of that makes undue noise, and they always have him quiet down upon complaint. There have been a lot of complaints lately and I wouldn't be surprised to see an eviction notice before long.

So it's mainly the street noise that drives me nuts. I appreciate the feedback thus far posted.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM

174 posts, read 349,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu waku waku View Post
My gripes is the crazy loud cars up & down the road. Either engine noise, which it seems like some people take pride in just how ridiculously loud they can make their cars. This also goes for Monster Bikes with loud pipes, or annoying little 2-stroke motorbikes that can barely make it up the 2-degree incline near my place. I'm on the 12th floor and some of these idiots literally make the walls vibrate. Considering there are 1000's of residential units in a few square blocks, that means each knucklehead that comes by after midnight is waking up thousands of people.
Ditto to the above and we live on the 11th floor:

Last night was the first night that I was able to sleep and I do not recall being woken up by any noise pollution. I know it was because I was overly tired from lack of a good night's sleep the night before.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
There's a number of anti-Noise sites, if you google them, Noisefree.org., where you'll find updates to what other cities are doing to control noise pollution, and they issue Noisey City awards, which bring about media attention to a particular city.

I'm so fed up with loud stereo's in cars, I won't even travel somewhere where they're not controlled.
And it seems to me Honolulu doesn't put that on their priority list, and I will think twice about visiting there, as a result of it.

Noisefree has a list of communities, cities, and the fines they're levying on these Noise terrorists, and I let that be my guide when traveling.

$1500 fine for a first offense in Oregon, I'll visit there for sure!

Car alarms illegal in NYC, $350 fine for honking your horn in a residential neighborhood, I'll visit there, too!

Last edited by tijlover; 11-13-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
Okay, it was me rolling down Pali Momi St. at 2 a.m. in my neon green S10 lower rider with tons of modifications (including the exhaust system) and a 50,000 watt sound system.Whoa! lol

Picture Me Rolling...

Last edited by kaimuki; 11-15-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 AM

yeah, that was you. And I had was having a nice dream till you rolled by...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu