Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

Looking for anyone that may know who my biological family may be. I was born James Naka on 10/27/1951 in Oahu. My adoptive name is Jeff Guillemette. I live in Florida and would like to know my real family. If anyone knows anything about me, I believe my real Mother may have lived at 426 Lexington Ave at the Ewa Plantation, I would appreciate you contacting me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Hi. Do you have any other family names, or any paperwork to give more leads?

Edit: I see you've listed on adoption sites. What research have you been able to do from Hawaii, such as accessing the State records, etc? Also have you been able to research the state newspapers for that era? (You mentioned a newspaper photo, do you have a copy of it or know which paper?)

Good luck. Maybe we can help, at least with some ideas.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,017 times
The newspaper was the Honlulu Advertiser, I believe. We haven't been able to do much research yet from Hawaii, I'm afraid. We (My wife and I) have sent for my original birth records. I just know my birth name was James Naka. I have sent out letters to family members but it seems nobody wants to answer. Any ideas where to search, etc would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
When you get your original birth certificate, and find out your birth parents' names, you'll have more to go on. You will then know if Naka was your mom's, or dad's, last name. If the adoption was through the court, then chances are the original birth certificate was sealed, and you'll need the "mother's" signature to get a copy to avoid having to use the court system to open the records. (...Unless things have changed in the procedure since I worked with it in Honolulu 30 years ago.)

Do you know anyone on Oahu? The health department has its registration books for State IDs, which covered in detail the WWII birth era ..... maybe those books go in to the the early 50's also. But you have to go in person.

You said family doesn't answer ... what family do you know of (I'm not asking you to post names here if you don't want to, but rather relationships)?

Do you have a copy of the newspaper article/photo? In person, you can access the old newspapers on microfilm at the University, and the main State Library.

The Honolulu Record is online 1948-1958, you might be able to find something.
Honolulu Record Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: