Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times

Advertisements

Sleep on the plane and stay up all night, you won't be in Hawaii long enough to bother to sleep. Although this plan works a lot better if you are young, if you are older, then you'd probably want a nap. Plus there's usually luggage to worry about.

Can you try something like couch surfing or AirBnB? That wouldn't be as expensive as a hotel. But for that amount of time, if you didn't have any luggage or were able to have your luggage stay at the airport, you'd be able to take TheBus into Waikiki and see the most popular destination in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,918 times
Go have fun then return to the airport and nap in a seat. Just set your cell phone alarm so you don't miss your flight.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM

73 posts, read 151,165 times
I'm 21 so I'd be willing to sacrifice sleep for some fun in Waikiki Beach...I might even ask the airline if I can catch a flight two days later so that I can stay for an extra night. There are some really nice hostels right by the beach with excellent reviews like the Seaside Hostel and the Backpackers Hostel. Prices are under $30 for shuttle from the airport and with free wifi etc, seems too good to be true...or maybe I'm just a hostel noob.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
..or maybe I'm just a hostel noob.
You're young, hostels can be fun and economical... go ahead and give it a try... but mind the details...

For example, both of the hostels you mentioned have two night minimum bookings.

Read up on staying in hostels so you have a clear picture of how they work, including the lock-out period every day when you are not allowed inside, and the quiet time/lights out rules. I recommend you have good earplugs and a sleep mask (eyeshade). And don't have valuables with you.

Check details on the layover... what is permitted, what is not. For example, for some layovers you can leave your checked baggage on board if you wish, while for others you cannot. Some layovers must be less than a certain amount of time, some must be more. Be sure you are clear exactly what the conditions and restrictions on your ticket are.

Also, manage your time of departure carefully. Having so much fun that you miss your flight out can have serious and expensive consequences.

Good luck

Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,339,309 times
Sounds like a great opportunity that you'll regret missing!! I say go for it!! I'm a noob period but it's too gorgeous here to pass up!!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 AM

73 posts, read 151,165 times
Thanks everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu