Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 AM

31 posts, read 43,076 times

Advertisements

This sounds like a awesome story. I hope next time I go to Waikiki ill have to find this happy hours bar with the $1 shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 AM

32 posts, read 50,384 times
This is a good story and sounds similar to a young man who moved to HI in 1992 and stayed at the Hawaii Hostel on Hobron Lane. There were all kinds of characters coming in and out and managment was skeptical of Americans without an onward ticket. Well...as time goes on, beds are empty, they end up taking in some losers. We used to go to a similar cheap spot on Kuhio behind some stores called Hernandos Hideaway. I know Waikiki well and cannot find where it used to be. No free food that I recall but $1-$2 beers on most nights. Although the Surf House is not a Hostel it has some of the attributes with less rules. I just had to go to their website (Yes, they actually have one) and look at the pics. I stayed at one on Kuhio near Uluniu and they had a pretty serious Chinese manager so I was polite, followed the rules and did not want to kicked out. One afternoon, this other traveler comes walking through the Hostel gate with 2 ladies of the night (or afternoon) and brings them upstairs for some fun on the Hostel beds. No one said a word to him? There was another older guy (not old...just too old to be in a hostel) who stayed on his bed all the time with some type of whooping cough. Ok, one more, last time 13 years ago in another hostel, the guy above me was doing inappropriate things to himself in the middle of the night. I woke up to go surfing and he had to stop or whatever. Never saw him again, thankfully for him and I. I'm a VRBO guy now, with family, could probably do a Hostel but not in a shared room. Very good for solo travelers.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Default Koko's for pupus.

I spent about a week in Waikiki in 1972, and a month in 1973. Often we would board The Bus, toss a nickel each, in the coin hopper (instead of the requisite quarter), ask for a transfer ticket, then ride down to Koko's Bar. I'm pretty sure it was in the same building that later became the Hard Rock Cafe. They had a long happy hour (noon-7pm) that included sixty-cent well drinks and free hot food. For kids on a budget, it was a great way to get by. The drinking age was 18 then, but no one checked. (My girlfriend was 15 and I was 17.) After "dinner" we would walk to a different bus stop, and use the transfer ticket to ride back to Waikiki.
Fun times when I was young and on a tight budget. Those trips were the beginning of my love affair with Hawaii. Four decades later, I'm finally going to move there.
Your story brought forth a flood of good memories.
Mahalo!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM

217 posts, read 640,497 times
My fave Waikiki bar is Arnolds Tiki Bar (not that this is on topic!) and by the way I loved the wonderful "moving to hawaii" story!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
There was another older guy (not old...just too old to be in a hostel)...
Come over here so I can whack you with my cane, sonny. That's pure prejudice talking.

Although originally conceived early in the 20th Century as a way to encourage students to broaden their education with inexpensive travel, the hostel movement has grown and changed over the years, and in most countries there is no age restriction at all on accommodations, and older travelers do use them, although in smaller numbers. It's the same with backpacking... although popularity skews to the young, there are people of all ages participating.

Also check out Road Scholar and Elderhostel programs, which are specifically tailored to the needs and interests of the over-60 crowd.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM

34 posts, read 63,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
"surf house"
It's not the place you wanna be, that's all I'm gonna say.

But the bar is called Kings Pub under the Hawaiian Monarch

Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 PM

34 posts, read 63,211 times
Well it's been 2 years on the nose, a lot has changed in my friends life but mine stays constantly plesent. Well one thing I would suggest is not buying a water proof phone case, you will loose it... I've lost 5 this year. The best thing so far is 95% of all my friends are Hawaiian and have grown on me greatly, I try my best not to speak pidgin but hanging around them makes it rub off so easily. Also I do still live in Waikiki, but rarely ever go to that beach, the best hang out spots since I got a new paddle board have been Lanikai, everywhere north shore, and after a few body boards later sandys, and makapu'u beach.became home. Life is simple now, go to work, meet friends, do laundry, play hard on weekends and hope ya don't lose your phone, repeat.

Home sweet home. All I need now is to find one click that can hula

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posey4 View Post
Well it's been 2 years on the nose, a lot has changed in my friends life but mine stays constantly plesent. Well one thing I would suggest is not buying a water proof phone case, you will loose it... I've lost 5 this year. The best thing so far is 95% of all my friends are Hawaiian and have grown on me greatly, I try my best not to speak pidgin but hanging around them makes it rub off so easily. Also I do still live in Waikiki, but rarely ever go to that beach, the best hang out spots since I got a new paddle board have been Lanikai, everywhere north shore, and after a few body boards later sandys, and makapu'u beach.became home. Life is simple now, go to work, meet friends, do laundry, play hard on weekends and hope ya don't lose your phone, repeat.

Home sweet home. All I need now is to find one click that can hula
Aloha, sounds good brother, keep da aloha aina, aloha kanaka, aloha cultural and you be good. Nani wahine will come when you least expect it.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 AM

13 posts, read 35,017 times
Quote:
"Hawai'i is a very beautiful and sacred land, she will love you and take care of you forever, but **** her off and you'll find your self back on the mainland" - Fact
Best quote... ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu