Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM

34 posts, read 63,247 times

Advertisements

Aloha to all

I'd like to first say I have never felt more at home here than anywhere else (lived a few places). Also I realize the average person this day in age has an attention span of 8 seconds, and I couldn't find a study done on people who slack off on the internet everyday for longer than that, so I'll make this as interesting as possible.

OK, to start this off I love kite surfing and that's #1 reason I moved here, I know Maui has better wind but I was counting on O'ahu to get feet planted in a job.

In the beginning... there was dunkin' doughnuts. Lol actually the beginning of my road trip from Georgia (usa) to California.

TheTravelingPrisoner - YouTube

Most of it is in ....a ish order of each beginning of the states on I40..lol, oh and the name came from my last job, don't ask.

And just for those people with long attention spans... here's my story...

So I lived in Georgia working a blah job driving 3.5hrs to the beach to kite surf... something had to change. Looked up places with best wind year round and my two choices were Outer Banks, North Carolina or Maui, Hawaii. Choice was easy even though I never really thought of the state let alone moving here. Had to move to O'ahu for job stuff , didn't know it was so easy to get a job.. 3 days after I got here I had a job, but more on that later

Did a year of research ...ish.. before I pulled the trigger, dropped everything to move, the mortgage, job, friends, and family. I even asked permission to move to O'ahu from my folks just to be safe :-) but I did make the jump... and yes I have numbers for all us math lovers. It was around $200 for the 2,5k mile drive in gas (Honda civic- GA to CA gas $3-$4/gal) ate out the whole way ($40) slept in car first night, 1 night hotel ($70) lol and the third night on the road my cousin in CA was kind enough to house me for a night. Next step Hawai'i.

Plane ticket ($300 ish) one way from LAX cause I ain't commin' back! Have a funny story about TSA but I think i have to wait a while before I can tell that one and my car was around $990 to ship (in a crate) lol but touchdown HNL! To a "surf house" I found on Craigslist for cheap ($250 deposit $590/month), and before you see this deal and think omg why haven't I done this before... don't be stupid, walk outside, take a deep breath, and walk back inside...and continue reading reality.

Apologies that's not the aloha spirit, but the truth I speak about that house is known by everyone on Pau St... also ALL of HPD...not lying. Well actually the more people I tell my story to the more tell me alternate stories of what they've heard....which is awesome I love stories.

So the first month I get a job, within a few days, but don't start working till the next month. Weird I thought but the construction field has been sketchy lately back in Georgia so I thought ...ehh what the hell they'll call.

So in the mean time I go to the nearest bar, recommended to me by a friend I met at the surfhouse, and that's when the real story begins.

$1 shots, mugs, and slices for a happy hour... yes please.
So I'm at this bar everyday... for 4 weeks straight during happy hour, sometimes earlier because the surf house sucked that much. A silver lining to that crazy place is that I made some good friends, and they'll always be there. I made real good friends at the bar though and became a welcomed regular. I don't, still to this day, understand why the gift was given to me but because of that bar I got a good group of friends and so many people who have accepted me into their Ohana (family). Also waiting on my car before I explore the island, which took 2 weeks (ish) but was worth it. Even though first day I got it I parked like 6 inches into someone else's driveway and got my car towed ($170) the next day before I woke up.... what a way to start this adventure.

So the next month rolls around and its time to renew, what I didn't mention was the bed bugs at the surfhouse... ever seen vanilla ice cream with little red fruity pebbles all up in it... those were my legs lol. So I ain't staying there any longer, Luckily I mentioned my horrible living citations as humorous conversation at the bar and was offered a great place to stay in Waikiki. I applied and was the 8th person in line to apply for this place... crazy, anyway as luck would have it I got it, and a job at my pub part time... which I don't suggest anyone do.

Things start looking up on the 3erd month as work starts and I am bug free living :-) I nuked my place so good my neighbor complained that there were more bugs in her apt than normal... lol, sorry. Also I've made great friends who have taken me on hikes and beach trips that I would have never thought of through the good local spots

Closing my 4th month has sealed my deal in living here. Got a professional license to do a specific trade in construction, which skyrocket my pay, nice... and as a conclusion to this chapter, which is current, I bring you this message,....

"Hawai'i is a very beautiful and sacred land, she will love you and take care of you forever, but **** her off and you'll find your self back on the mainland" - Fact

If you ever visit take your time, your not in a rush, enjoy everything because what you enjoy the most might not even be what your looking for. The traffic will suck, and most poke will be good, I wish you all the best of luck in 2013 and forever.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 13,697 times
Umm, was there a point to all this rambling nonsense?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific3000 View Post
Umm, was there a point to all this rambling nonsense?
My, my, who tinkled in your wheaties this morning??

Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posey4 View Post
"Hawai'i is a very beautiful and sacred land, she will love you and take care of you forever, but **** her off and you'll find your self back on the mainland" - Fact

If you ever visit take your time, your not in a rush, enjoy everything because what you enjoy the most might not even be what your looking for. The traffic will suck, and most poke will be good, I wish you all the best of luck in 2013 and forever.
Cliff note above for everyone.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,930 times
Ignore the troll, Posey4. I found your post interesting. Out of all of us wannabe Hawaii residents on this forum, few actually make the move and write about it. Please keep us up to date!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Default Good Story!

Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM

34 posts, read 63,247 times
Thanks for the positive responses, keep the aloha spirit alive !

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Ignore the troll, Posey4.
Not a troll, just a good writer.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific3000 View Post
just a good writer.
Funniest post on City-Data all week!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posey4 View Post
$1 shots, mugs, and slices for a happy hour... yes please.
Why the heck would you leave out the name of a $1 shot, mug, and slice place? That was the real nugget. Although, at happy hour you get free cheese round table pizza at Giovanni Pastrami on Lewers St.

The other important takeaway that is important, especially for the younger crowd - The op mentions the "surf house" - and that is something anyone needs to think about if making a move - just landing in Oahu without a job lined up, which is difficult, means you are probably (or quite frankly, you have no option) going to start with a housing share - landlords don't want to rent to folks with no job just off the plane especially in this market. It is a landlord market.You may feel you can afford that cheap studio but you have to show you can pay for it when you fill out the application - and landlords don't want to chase you if you run back to the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu