Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,702 times

Advertisements

I have had the pleasure of working on Oahu for three different month long trips. We went back there on our honeymoon last fall and have not been able to stop thinking about moving there. I have read a lot of the "moving to Hawaii" posts, and seriously want someone to talk me out of it. I currently live in Chicago and HATE the winters. I grew up in the Midwest, and the 35 years of winters has seriously grown old.

Are there other places to move that are just as warm as Hawaii? Sure, but none have spoken to me like Oahu. I seriously ran on the treadmill today listening to the Hawaiian music channel on Pandora, LOL. I think I have a pretty good grasp on what day to day living on the island would be like, considering I did it for three 30 day stints. I stayed in Waikiki, but worked all over the island, so I am aware of the traffic situation. I think it is comparable to Chicago and didn't bother me, and I live in the city. I have a job that I could easily transfer (Gov't job) and the wife works for a non-profit that is in all 50 states, and she could probably work from home. We would be making approximately $110k, which is adjusted after taking the cost of living difference between the two cities. We would bring one car, which is paid for, and sell the other. If I applied and was granted the transfer, we would not have to pay for any shipping costs for vehicle/household goods, which is a bonus.

We currently live 3 hours from both of our families, so it isn't like we see them every weekend or every month for that matter. So I don't believe the distance from friends/family will be a huge issue, but I may be wrong. From my limited research, we could probably afford a place in Kaneohe or maybe Kailua. We are going to have kids soon, so the school system isn't the biggest concern at this moment.

I have read numerous blogs that people soon run out of things to do on Oahu. Is this really the case? The few months I spent there I was more than occupied. I love golf, the beach, just being outside in general. We also enjoy eating out, which there are plenty of places for that, as well as cooking at home, barbeques, live music, etc.

Did I have the rose-colored glasses on for those three months? I am just longing for Hawaii as I walk the dog in and around waist-high piles of dirty snow? (And yes, I am aware of the pet policies.) Would we be bored, after living ten years in a city as big as Chicago, with all its trappings, on a little 'ol rock in the Pacific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,391,222 times
It's truly an experience that I'm so glad I've had. Having said that I'm currently looking at mainland jobs. LOL I suggest planning on a couple of years knowing it might be longer. I wouldn't dig in too deep until you're sure you can stand it. I love it here but I can't bring my horses and I miss them and my kids and my friends. I had never been here. I actually love it but I'm looking at furlough and I'm going to try to swap agencies. I didn't get relocation expenses. Smart shipping at least one car. I love K-bay.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,061,284 times
No stranger can answer your question...are you crazy, or will you be bored...how would we know? We simply don't know you, and every one of the regulars here is very different from one another. We don't know what you like to do, or how short your attention span is. Some of us don't have enough time in the month to do all of the cool things there are to do in sleepy little Hilo and Big Island beyond; while some of us grow bored after a weekend in cosmopolitan Honolulu.

In other words, you need to ask yourself that question.

That said, you're well prepared to fare better than most upon your arrival and if it doesn't work out? You can go back, or go somewhere totally different, and you won't spend the rest of your life waking up and wondering "what if?"

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 10,702 times
I guess I was just looking for an opinion from others that have made the switch from a bigger city to Oahu, and if they are still happy with the move. I realize that there are a lot of things to do, but are there enough things that satiates the need to travel to experience/see other things?

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges with Chicago and Oahu, I was just looking for someone's experience that would be similar to mine.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguygo99 View Post
I guess I was just looking for an opinion from others that have made the switch from a bigger city to Oahu, and if they are still happy with the move. I realize that there are a lot of things to do, but are there enough things that satiates the need to travel to experience/see other things?
I'm happy with the move but I absolutely have to get off the island at least a few times a year. At the end of the day it is only a 40 by 20 mile island.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,061,284 times
I moved from the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area to a much smaller island before coming to Hawai'i, and never ran out of things to do on the tiny island. It depends on what you like to do, how much you like to do it, and your personal level of satisfaction with your entire lifestyle.

Again...it is a personal thing. You will need to soul search this one yourself. No matter how much typing any of us do, since you don't know us personally, you really can't relate to it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,283 times
Quote:
I have read numerous blogs that people soon run out of things to do on Oahu. Is this really the case? The few months I spent there I was more than occupied. I love golf, the beach, just being outside in general. We also enjoy eating out, which there are plenty of places for that, as well as cooking at home, barbeques, live music, etc.
I moved from a smaller town to Honolulu, so my experience is a bit different. I have lived in a large metroplex, and Honolulu has that, but still retains the ability to get completely away from people and town within a short 10 mile drive.

Been here a little over 2 years, and have not ran out of things to do. I like to surf, and the Ocean is different every day, so I have an inexhaustible entertainment resource. We have hit some of the hikes, but are certainly not bored of any of them yet.

I have lived in Florida and moved here from Washington. I did not miss winter in Florida, and I don't miss it now. There is something to be said for being able to wear shorts and sandals year round. Although now that I have acclimated, anything below 70 feels "cold".

Way too many places to eat out. Can't barbeque because our Building doesn't allow them on the Lanai.

Overall I am extremely happy with the move.

I have been to Chicago only in the Winter. The wind seemed to go right through to my bones. But wow what an amazing big city.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
If you will have enough income to support yourself, then give it a try. The biggest pitfall is not having enough money to support oneself in an expensive area.

Personally, I can find plenty to do on Oahu, but I am not you. I like to hike and water color and take photos and never run out of things to look at. There are plenty of ocean sports and fishing and boating. It takes maybe a week to do all the must-see tourist spots, but there is more to do than that.

As for relatives, it has been my experience that if I live in a desirable tourist spot, I don't have to go see them. They will pack up and come and see me.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,644,105 times
Bruddah I live in Cleveland now and haven't stopped thinking about moving back. I was born and raised there and can't stop thinking about how it's the spot to be. Is hard if you have no family, although you are young. I'm going for an entire month. I'm sure I can work full time remotely in my industry, but I'd have odd hours with my clients(starting work at 4am, etc). But I'm going to test it out and see if I can sustain.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,822,146 times
Quote:
I have read a lot of the "moving to Hawaii" posts, and seriously want someone to talk me out of it.
OK, here it is: Don't move here, you will hate it.

So, if that did not convince you, well, maybe you are just destined for Hawaii life. Three of the rules to a successful move: Come with enough savings to make it stress free, have an "exit plan" in case you don't like it, and never rent or buy sight unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu