Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM

163 posts, read 316,542 times

Advertisements

Has anyone got estimates on them? I'm sure it would be an insane amount but like the OP was interested in sharing one...that might be worth checking into. I'm in Alabama, that may me an even more expensive amount since I'm not close to California...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 89,374 times
St Louis here. The small pod like 7 ft by 7ft by 8 ft (something like that) $6500. Heck if I add the cost of buying all the stuff I want to put in it it does not equal that amount. Liquidate it all and by it when u get there. Heck a new bed then used everything else wont cost that much.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Wow. That's an insane amount. We're a family of 5 and there's no way our stuff is worth that much! Heck, I wish I owned one of those companies lol.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 PM

174 posts, read 349,115 times
Small pod 7x7x8 shipped from Washington state to Oahu was about $3,000 and did not hold much which is why we sold most of everything. I shipped my scrapbooking stuff in there though!

Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
It seems to me that the price of a Pod is pretty close to the cost of a 20 ft container. You pay heavily for the nice convenience that the Pod offers.

After checking prices, it might pay to check to see if you can find anyone to split the cost of a the 20 ft container.

Before renting a Pod, I suggest that you tape off a space the same size on your garage floor and see how much stuff you can fit into it. I assure you, it won't be much.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It seems to me that the price of a Pod is pretty close to the cost of a 20 ft container. You pay heavily for the nice convenience that the Pod offers.

After checking prices, it might pay to check to see if you can find anyone to split the cost of a the 20 ft container.

Before renting a Pod, I suggest that you tape off a space the same size on your garage floor and see how much stuff you can fit into it. I assure you, it won't be much.
Thank you, how much was your container?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
We didn't get relocation expenses so we liquidated. The only bad thing about that is being patient till you find just the right stuff at yard sales. My other half was impatient and we ended up spending too much on a couple of things. If he'd have just left it to me... I'm the queen of resale... I found a wonderful solid wood table and chairs.. $10 for table and $5/ea for chairs. They had 3 tables and lots of chairs. Ahhhh, shootz. We already bought new.
If I could have done it over I would have probably bought a used patio set, used it inside until I found the right dining set.
All this to say, if you liquidate, don't rush to buy stuff once you get here. Mattresses, yes, (Costco, if you can't buy on base).

Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
Small pod 7x7x8 shipped from Washington state to Oahu was about $3,000 and did not hold much which is why we sold most of everything. I shipped my scrapbooking stuff in there though!
Prior to June, there was a long period of time in which you could pretty reliably say that a 20' ISO shipping container would cost about $3,000 from the West Coast, and $6,000 from the East Coast, and that they were the cheapest way, per cubic foot of volume, to transport things to the island. PODS and ReloCubes and UCubes etc. are all smaller, and more convenient for the average consumer, but more expensive per cubic foot. Hint... those various POD things all get put inside ISO containers to ship to Hawai'i.

But now there has been a major price increase, and that 20' container might cost $5,000, or even more if oil prices rise.

So, other than the very most general kind of estimates, the way to find out how much a particular container or pod or whatever will cost to ship is to call the shipping companies and ask them. The specifics of WHERE you are moving from and to, and WHEN you are moving have a lot of influence on the cost.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Sell it all.
With the money you save by not shipping, buy new stuff.
Get an Amazon Prime account ($79 a year) and buy beds, furniture, etc., only from those places that offer Prime shipping.
I recently bought new beds - top name brand luxury memory foam ones - shipped to my house for WAY less than I could get them at Costco.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM

That's what I'm thinking. A) all of our furniture is oversized and i dont think it would fit anyway B) costs too much Just buying when we get there. Only thing that stinks is we've got so many to buy for in our family. I'm thinking bunk beds in the kids rooms. I think those mattresses are cheaper.

So Hawaii qualifys for amazon prime shipping? That's awesome. That will open up some possibilities.

Clothing to ship? I'm guessing only ship/carry all summer clothes correct? Do the public whoops there have uniforms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu