Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,411,567 times

Advertisements

Is there a training program here for someone to become a sports referee? He's really sharp when it comes to football and basketball (probably baseball). He's a H.S. grad and is here to depressurize from home life mainland. Just weighing options. He's thinking military and/or college. Right now he's pursuing Lifeguard Certification and is considering a career in Firefighting.

Anyone have any info on refereeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Try NASO - National Association of Sports Officials

Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM

I kinda did look there. That sends me to the other place I looked. I'll have to contact someone and ask. I'm not finding an answer-for-dummies. I thought there might be someone who's had some experience with this.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,730,259 times
I just went to the link that White Viper provided, clicked on "Resources", then "Becoming an Official", then "Football Officiating". There were some suggestions there on how to contact other officials in your area and get to know the officiating community.

Or, you could just go to a local school game and talk with the officials.

My first husband was an ex-semi-pro football player and he worked his way up through the ranks of officiating. If Hawaii is anything like Colorado, you really have to prove yourself and pay your dues.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM

Hunter. I actually went to the site, there are decent suggestions to get started.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 PM

160 posts, read 288,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Right now he's pursuing Lifeguard Certification and is considering a career in Firefighting.
I've been meaning to mention this on C-D Hawaii forum for some time...for those "dreamers" that have some interest in firefighting or EMS on the islands but don't know where to begin I would suggest applying for seasonal (summer) wildland fire positions at Hawaii Volcanos National Park or Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge. After retiring from NPS, Fish and Wildlife Service and Forest Service I can tell you those units have very active fire programs. HAVO routinely sends crews comprised of Somoans, employees from HAVO and Hakalau Forest to the "48s" each summer for large wildfire activity. Also HAVO has an active fire program when the volcano starts flowing.

Be aware however seasonal wildland firefighters from those units don't sit around all day and "polish their fire engines". They''re out cutting gorse or removing koa trees when not on an incident -- tough work but you'll get your foot in the door

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Not sure how long he will be here. I don't think he really knows what he wants to do but I don't mind him taking some time to get his head on straight in light of the chaos where he's been living back east. That's one reason for doing the lifeguard thing. He can take that with him anywhere OR try to get a job here. There's always pools and water park if he isn't ready for the big time. But it will give him an accomplishment. It's sort of in line with the rescue mentality of firefighting.

I think military Crash Rescue is the way to go, really. Once you do that you can work at any airport or department. If you do non-aviation, you can't do aviation until you get certified in those qualifications.

What an amazing idea working for the park service. There are always postings on USAJobs for the Forestry Dept.

So the thing to do, according to those sites is basically talk to someone who is refereeing now. I might be able to go through the MWR on base... hmmm.... They'd like for him to be a coach with his dad but... dad's not into that kind of time commitment, though son was VERY interested. One day we will all be on the same page.

Thanks for all who replied.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Here is training classes for you:

hawaiireferees.com

Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 AM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu