Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
We were there in May. The food and service was AMAZING!
I'll check it out again - I had given up on it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM

43 posts, read 139,455 times

Alan Wong's on King Street, Honolulu.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Romantic....in Honolulu.... Welcome to Michel's great location on the beach. Sunset view. Good food.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM

52 posts, read 164,291 times
I second the recommendation for Roy's in Hawaii Kai. I pick Hawaii Kai over Waikiki because of the view. In either one, the food, service and ambiance will be just beautiful, but from Hawaii Kai you have a view of Diamaon Head from the other side. Roy's is my favorite anywhere. I have been to Hawaii Kai, Waikiki, Ko'Olina and the Big Island. I also went to the LA restaurant three nights in a row at a convention once. We did take three doctors out to dinner. The only time I was disappointed was in Phoenix and that was only because my expectations were so high. If you like dessert, have the chocolate soufflé and be sure to order it in the beginning because it takes a long time

Happy Anniversary.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I love Roy's! For an anniversary dinner I would do Mavro's, a meal with wine runs about $225-ish per person.... I can't remember.

He was absolutely charming, gave me a tour of the kitchen and extra truffles to take home. I love him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 PM

91 posts, read 214,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadBrad View Post
Thank you so much for the recommendations. We will definitely check them all out.
LOL.... Whtviper1, I had to laugh. I guess saying that price was not an issue was a mistake. Although your recommendation sounds great, that is a little steep for me. I am curious about it though so I will have to check it out.
OpenD, I didn't realize that Roy's was NOT the same as the one in Newport Beach so we will definitely have to consider that!
Thanks again!
Any more recommendations are welcome.
I like Roy's but it is a chain restaurant. Although the one in Hawaii Kai might be better, menu and style are similar to the one in Newport Beach.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
There is also the original Alan Wong's although they don't have much view there: Alan Wong's

Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisah168 View Post
I like Roy's but it is a chain restaurant. Although the one in Hawaii Kai might be better, menu and style are similar to the one in Newport Beach.
Absolutely the Roy's Hawai'i Kai and Waikiki restaurants are superior, a cut above the ordinary, which is why so many people in this thread have recommended them, and why they are so highly rated on sites like Yelp.

The chain in the US mainland named Roy's is a different company, as I posted earlier, and it is a franchise operation run by the same folks who own Outback Steakhouse. Once upon a time it signed a licensing agreement with Chef Roy Yamaguchi, and they patterned it after the small handful of outstanding restaurants he owns (with partners) and operates exclusively in Hawai'i, plus a single mainland location, at Pebble Beach. But somewhere along the line Bloomin' had a big falling out with Roy, and today he has nothing to to do with the mainland chain. In no way should it be confused with the excellence of the Hawai'i original it imitates.

My only wish is that the Roy's in Waikoloa wasn't so so far from Volcano! It's well over a 2 1/2 hour drive each way. But it's worth it for really special occasions. Like... when I get hungry!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 35,679 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! We went ahead and made our reservation for our anniversary at Roy's Waikiki. We may try a few of the other recommendations on some other nights though. I am a major foodie so the food is a huge part of enjoying my trip. Totally looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: