Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:18 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times

Advertisements

We were visiting Oahu for a week last month and a lot of the huge homeless camps had been shifted away from the beaches up around Chinaman's Hat side. All the beach parks along that side were clean of all homeless people. We did see a lot of them in the industrial area over around Barber's Point. Not a high touristy spot there at all.

We only drove through Waikiki once and didn't stop anywhere there so we weren't there long enough to see if there were many homeless but they weren't obvious during a drive by. Although, we weren't looking for them, either, they very well could have been tucked in all over the place.

I've known a few homeless folks over the years and each one had a different story about why they were homeless, there may not be any specific overall answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Oahu has been very aggressive in moving the homeless to areas where tourists won't see them. They've used that law to pick up and store belongings if they camp on sidewalks - and they have to pay $200 to get the belongings back or they get destroyed in 30 days. It has worked - eventually they get the message.

City to enforce new homeless law - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Go figure cant afford to rent an apartment or hotel to get off the streets. Not enough affordable housing, nor does anyone want to pay to provide housing, tourists and everyone complains about the homeless. Soo what does the city do? Charge $200 to homeless people to get there stuff back! Gee that sounds productive to reducing the homeless problem. Idk, maybe something like provide proof that they are getting into shelters or working with a service provider councillor to get housing, maybe even renting a hotel room value upto $200 or apartment to get stuff back would be better?

Im tempted to believe whats really happening is the homeless cant come up with $200 to pay the fine, so whats happening is the city or courts are ordering community service. Great way to get free labor, especially from a desperate homeless guys whose only blanket etc, the city has.

It funny that local goverments only solution to homelessness is to outlaw it, fine it, or jail it.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-18-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 AM

317 posts, read 748,666 times
Wow pretty brazen or just plain stupid to camp in those tents right on the streets. There are so many alleyways and small spots they could hide away for the night without drawing attention to themselves but that would mean downsizing a bit.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,349,152 times
The reason they camp in the open is because it is not safe to camp it in a hid away area where there would be no witnesses if they were attacked, which does happen. Life on the streets, anywhere, is dangerous. But if it were me, I would do it rather than be in an isolated area and have who-knows-who come up on me at night when I was sleeping.

The shelters are usually dangerous places as well. There was a time when I was homeless, and the city run shelters were the last places I wanted to be. It isn't the rules, it's the likelihood of being assaulted.

Last edited by smarino; 03-09-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM

100 posts, read 270,167 times
Maybe that guy who went vigilante with the shopping carts could have instead tore them down and have them recycled or sold the metal off for scrap and then donated that money to a project or effort that provides assistance to the homeless? Maybe his brazen actions are perpetuating the legacy of society's perspective on homelessness.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,270,733 times
This guy is a bully and did this for the publicity obviously. It's much easier to pick on a group of people who can't fight back then to actually tackle the problem.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8o8state View Post
Maybe that guy who went vigilante with the shopping carts could have instead tore them down and have them recycled or sold the metal off for scrap and then donated that money to a project or effort that provides assistance to the homeless?
Seriously, they should have been returned to their owners, the stores they were stolen from.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
md7

28 posts, read 36,849 times
When I visited oahu in 2011 (and the years prior), there were many permanent tents set up between the highway and beach near the hot area. When I visited oahu a few weeks ago, I didn't see any tents! I'd say somehow the homeless situation seems to have improved. Maybe the 1-way air ticket to mainland is working?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md7 View Post
When I visited oahu a few weeks ago, I didn't see any tents! I'd say somehow the homeless situation seems to have improved. Maybe the 1-way air ticket to mainland is working?
They are getting very aggressive on Oahu making the homeless move around and not settle permanently, otherwise they take their stuff and they have to pay to get their things back. They passed laws the last couple of years to make that happen. So far it has been very effective.

Honolulu Homeless Frustrated as Belongings Taken - Honolulu Civil Beat

The 1-way ticket idea was never implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: