Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

I just graduated from a college on the mainland...but with little to no job prospects, menial part time unskilled labor jobs, a massive amount of debt, financial responsibilities I can't meet...so I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

My options are three, move back to my mom's place...which isn't going to happen.
Continue to live on the brink of homelessness...
Or just become homeless.

As such, I figured why not move to where being homeless might actually be enjoyable?

I can save enough for a one way ticket to Hawaii...but I'd probably have less that $500 in my pocket and a couple suitcases of clothes from when I stepped out of the airport. However, that's looking like a pretty good deal...compared to the alternatives...

Have you heard of anyone else doing this? What became of them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 PM

242 posts, read 391,490 times
Your plan seems well-thought out. I'm sure it'll be a positive experience for you.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I just graduated from a college on the mainland...but with little to no job prospects, menial part time unskilled labor jobs, a massive amount of debt, financial responsibilities I can't meet...so I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

My options are three, move back to my mom's place...which isn't going to happen.
Continue to live on the brink of homelessness...
Or just become homeless.

As such, I figured why not move to where being homeless might actually be enjoyable?

I can save enough for a one way ticket to Hawaii...but I'd probably have less that $500 in my pocket and a couple suitcases of clothes from when I stepped out of the airport. However, that's looking like a pretty good deal...compared to the alternatives...

Have you heard of anyone else doing this? What became of them?
This has to be a joke, right?

Many people, myself included, took those menial part time unskilled labor jobs and lived on the brink of homelessness for a long time until something opened up that allowed us to advance forward. Looking back, it wasn't fun. However, I wouldn't be where I am today if I would have just given up and chose to be homeless.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
This has to be a joke, right?

Many people, myself included, took those menial part time unskilled labor jobs and lived on the brink of homelessness for a long time until something opened up that allowed us to advance forward. Looking back, it wasn't fun. However, I wouldn't be where I am today if I would have just given up and chose to be homeless.
Where are you?

I don't want to be one of those people. Not that there's anything wrong with it...just that it's not for me.

I was just reading on here about the homeless problem Hawaii has, so no, it's not just me with this idea. Any rags to riches stories?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:18 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
Your plan seems well-thought out. I'm sure it'll be a positive experience for you.
Rule #1 in my life is to never plan too deeply. Instead of acting, I react.
But, I'm not moving tomorrow. My well thought out plan has a while before it has to be realized...
Just testing the waters...what do you call this? Not planning? I call it exactly the opposite.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
I won't be one of those people. Not that there's anything wrong with it...just that it's not for me.
Some of folks in the video below probably thought the same thing...

Homeless man charged with murder of another homeless man in Aala Park - YouTube

Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM

n/a posts
I gave you my alternatives...I rather be homeless. I don't feel like wasting away at a no win job. I can't burden my mom anymore, she's taken care of me since I was a child...so homelessness it is. I'm fine with it. I guess I'm not the type to succeed in society...not smart enough, not cut throat enough, not ambitious enough...and beyond that? Broke, in debt, and constantly vilified...I think I'm too sensitive.

I've accepted that about myself...besides, I could use the life lessons.

And hopefully, after having learned those lessons, I can put myself in a better position.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
I gave you my alternatives...I rather be homeless. I don't feel like wasting away at a no win job. I can't burden my mom anymore, she's taken care of me since I was a child...so homelessness it is. I'm fine with it. I guess I'm not the type to succeed in society...not smart enough, not cut throat enough, not ambitious enough...and beyond that? Broke, in debt, and constantly vilified...I think I'm too sensitive.

I've accepted that about myself...besides, I could use the life lessons.

And hopefully, after having learned those lessons, I can put myself in a better position.
Sounds like you have given yourself no alternatives. So, if you would rather be homeless than work, I suggest you choose somewhere in the south, on the mainland. Florida - California. At least then it might be a little easier if you change your mind later and decide that washing dishes or working at McDonalds is better than being cold, hungry and in fear for your life.
Best of luck with your move!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
better than being cold, hungry and in fear for your life.
I'm employed and that's my everyday reality as it is.

Somehow I think being on the streets of Honolulu is worlds better than being on the streets of LA or Miami.

thanks for the luck though.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM

242 posts, read 391,490 times
So because of your laziness and lack of ambition, you're choosing to have the good people of Hawai'i - who are also struggling with a high cost of living - support you through social service programs.

That is a slap-in-the-face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu