Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

Add Girlzilla to the list of the senseless tattoo-riddled. (out of control teenager)

I hate to take anything away from Hawaii but Atlanta really has it beat - TRAFFIC. I know what they say, I've seen the lists HOWEVER Atlanta seems HUGE and traffic is bad all the way around it. Hawaii traffic may be worse but on a smaller scale. I think the size outweighs.... well, at least you can jump onto side roads that make sense here... Okay, I take it back.

I miss Aloha so bad. (and the beach but that's all) (and my friends....that, too) and sun. I do miss the sun. tan...suntan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
@Tiger Beer

Its 2.50 were i live too, whats amazing is the excuse of why fares need to be so high is the cost of oil. Now that I see other cities and countries fare rates, i ask how can foriegn trans stay open with oil costing so much and lower fares?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Everywhere you go, there's other people there trying to get the same things you are. Competition for space to drive on the roads, space to park, space to live, groceries at the store, etc. etc.
This is so true.

The traffic horror stories keep me from moving out of town. I'll take a 20 minute 4 mile commute over a 20 mile 1.5hr commute any day of the week.

But yes, Aloha is alive and well. And it's hard to beat the ability to get off work, and go surf year round in board shorts till it gets dark.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 PM

960 posts, read 1,219,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Tiger Beer

Its 2.50 were i live too, whats amazing is the excuse of why fares need to be so high is the cost of oil. Now that I see other cities and countries fare rates, i ask how can foriegn trans stay open with oil costing so much and lower fares?
Many foreign countries don't pay US prevailing Union-negotiated wages and benefits. The price of a bus ticket would be lower if we paid the drivers $1.00 / hour with no City Government Pensions and without Medical and other benefits included as well.

So, we either pay a high wage and benefits to drivers with $2.50 per ticket prices, or we can pay low wages with no benefits to drivers and pay less for our ticket prices.

At least that's what I assume makes the biggest difference between many of the countries on the list.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
The disabled and seniors pay $1 on the bus.

The bus in 2011 took in about $53 million in passenger revenue. It had expenses of about $217 million. Numbers are similar to 2010. The shortfall comes from the state. Asking people who ride the bus to pay a fair share is a good thing.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Does $2.50 really sound expensive though? Seems that would be considered cheap no matter where you are.
Quote:
Is the difference between $1.00 and $2.50 really a make or break? If it is, sounds like one should reevaluate where they live.
As a self-described Five-Percenter, perhaps you are too far removed from the everyday life of average Hawaiians to understand why a $3/day difference in round trip bus fares can have a lot of impact on the people who most depend on public transportation... the retired, the disabled, people who can't drive, and those who work for low wages.

The Hawaiian "double-whammy" hits bus riders too... high prices, like New York or San Francisco, but lower than mainland wages... so it's a touchy point. One of the factors that impacts the livability of a city is the quality of its public transportation system, because it is a significant pain point for a portion of the population.

On the Big Island the bus fares were recently raised to $2 for adults, from formerly being $1. And yes, for some people that has been an issue, so the County Council is considering a proposal to reverse the increase.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Considering only about 5% of commuters use the Bus on Oahu, the number of people affected is marginal at best, and that also means the other 95% are subsidizing it. So, perhaps a thank you from the 5% of transit users is in order.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM

431 posts, read 940,983 times
There are many discounts available for bus riders, on Oahu at least:

TheBus - Fares & Passes

Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Many foreign countries don't pay US prevailing Union-negotiated wages and benefits. The price of a bus ticket would be lower if we paid the drivers $1.00 / hour with no City Government Pensions and without Medical and other benefits included as well.

So, we either pay a high wage and benefits to drivers with $2.50 per ticket prices, or we can pay low wages with no benefits to drivers and pay less for our ticket prices.

At least that's what I assume makes the biggest difference between many of the countries on the list.
No argument here, my point was the excuse of the cost of oil to justify a huge fare increase, when in reality the executives and bus drivers of where i live are already one of the highest paid in the country, and wanted another raise.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The disabled and seniors pay $1 on the bus.

The bus in 2011 took in about $53 million in passenger revenue. It had expenses of about $217 million. Numbers are similar to 2010. The shortfall comes from the state. Asking people who ride the bus to pay a fair share is a good thing.
Hmm curious how much of the operation expensives are wages for executives and highest paid per hr bus drivers with benifits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu