Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's correct a couple of things for you, again.

First, it is TheBus, one word.

Second, the Public Transit Division, within the Department of Public Services, for the City and County of Honolulu, is responsible for Public Transit, which is responsible for the TheBus. The Public Transit Division determines the fares, buys the buses, determines the routes, maintains and builds the bus stops, and uses a non-profit contractor for the bus drivers. TheBus is not a private company.
DaBus is its first name, just like Don Quijote is always called holiday mart, if you lived long enough in Oahu you would understand that!

Ok smart guy, argue symantecs. It still doesn't change what i said, people are subsidizing a business, government is also big business. Further it sure doesn't sound efficient to me. Does it you?

Potagee mouth eh? No act, You goin’ get slaps! Another words why don't you learn something for a change other dan being the know it all, all the time! It gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Considering only about 5% of commuters use the Bus on Oahu, the number of people affected is marginal at best, and that also means the other 95% are subsidizing it. So, perhaps a thank you from the 5% of transit users is in order.
And this attitude is where the term "marginalization" comes from.

So howzabout lets take this concept all the way and start charging drivers a fair share for using streets, roads, and highways too, OK? Computer technologies make it practical to track individual vehicle usage, and it's only fair that people that drive more should pay more, eh?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
DaBus is its first name, just like Don Quijote is always called holiday mart, if you lived long enough in Oahu you would understand that!
No, again. You need to check your memory. It was not TheBus first name.

TheBus was formed March 1, 1971 shortly after the City and County of Honolulu purchased the private Honolulu Rapid Transit and Land Company

Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

So howzabout lets take this concept all the way and start charging drivers a fair share for using streets, roads, and highways too, OK? Computer technologies make it practical to track individual vehicle usage, and it's only fair that people that drive more should pay more, eh?
I'd have no problem with that. Why would anybody?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
I'd have no problem with that. Why would anybody?
Not me! And I think public transportation should be as low cost as possible to encourage people to get out of those inefficient personal commuter vehicles.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Not me! And I think public transportation should be as low cost as possible to encourage people to get out of those inefficient personal commuter vehicles.
And $2.50 to ride ($1.00 for elderly and disabled) isn't low cost?

TheBus is already subsidized about $150 million by the City and County of Honolulu. Should we raise taxes to pay the other $50 million. Hmmmm.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,028 times
Quote:
And this attitude is where the term "marginalization" comes from.

People who drive more already do pay more through the high taxes on gasoline. People with less efficient cars also pay more per mile driven via the taxes per gallon of gas.

Having big government put a tracking devise on your car is not something I could support.

Especially when the gasoline taxes already effectually charge people more based on higher use ... Or less efficient vehicles.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No, again. You need to check your memory. It was not TheBus first name.

TheBus was formed March 1, 1971 shortly after the City and County of Honolulu purchased the private Honolulu Rapid Transit and Land Company
I understand that viper, After its transition from HRT to TheBus was what I was talking about. My confusion was back then some buses had DaBus as an emblem, further the pidgin term for TheBus is DaBus. Even today they have a app called DaBus. But the company itself was TheBus. So your right.

But really, it doesnt mean you still can't learn anything. Aloha

Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I agree not to just help those who are struggling, but also to help the environment.

I think what is hard to understand is here in Portland its 2.50 a ride on tri-met. Which is cheaper then Oahu because wages are higer and things don't cost as much as Oahu.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM

59 posts, read 101,777 times
Quote:
Is the difference between $1.00 and $2.50 really a make or break? If it is, sounds like one should reevaluate where they live.

But I'm a believer in the total cost - if one were to drive in in Seoul, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore - what would gas or parking cost. Even license plate registration is crazy expensive. Or the car price.
Currently living in Seoul now and planning on moving to Hawaii so I think I can shed some light on that. Firstly, Seoul raised the price of the bus from about a dollar in 2010 to about $2 now. Not a totally huge deal but it is a 200% increase (monthly bus expense is now about $180 for me). As for gas, $8 a gallon. Traffic? Took me 90 minutes to go 10 miles. (Is Oahu comparable?) Parking? Not that much, usually $4 an hour but everywhere is paid parking and $100 will slip out of your pocket in no time. Car price? about 150% of US prices due to protective tariffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu