Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 AM

317 posts, read 748,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastboundNdown View Post
Maybe you missed where I posted I was misteaken. My salary would be about $29 + tips. Not a big difference, but a difference. Apparently the other tour guides dont have a problem living there on this salary. I might have to get *gasp* a roommate?? OMG THE HORROR!

During my interview, I was told I was the first mainlander to ever be considered for a position, and it is contingent on me studying my ass off about Hawaii. So I feell pretty confident in my abilities and in my desire to do the things I want to do in life.

So, thanks for all the dire warnings, Im sure its freakin terrible on Oahu, I would be completely stupid to move to a tropical paradise where I would have a higher standard of living than where I currently live!
I believe you need Vipers permission before you're able to book a flight so tread carefully my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 21,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What area is the tour company based out of? Living as close to work as possible is good on Oahu since their traffic is so bad the shorter the commute, the better.

Downtown Honolulu, so University or Waikiki area works for me, less than 2 miles to walk or bike ride. I am not planning on having a vehicle, thats just 100s of dollars a month in expenses and hours in frustration I dont need.

good call on the cheap bikes. looking to show up beginning of june.

Also planning at staying in a hostel for the first week at around $250 and see how it goes from there. If I need to get a second week I can.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight....you are insisting that every single listing sub-$1000 is a scam?
No, I was just making a serious point in a humorous way. There are a LOT of scams, so you need to be very careful.

One ever-popular scam is to copy photos and description from a legitimate ad, then offer it at a lower price. Answer the ad and you will be sent an application to fill out, to return with a $50 processing fee before they will show you the unit. Let's just say it's an easy way for a scammer to make $50.

Another is to show pictures from a different unit to get you to look at a unit that is not the same. Another is to try to get enough info on an application to do an identity theft. Emailing them your credit card number makes that easy to accomplish.

Another is more sophisticated, involving people showing property under false pretenses. That's more common with higher end stuff, but you never know.

Bottom line, except for maybe a two week vacation rental, tops, never rent or buy an apartment or house sight unseen. Ever. If the deal seems to be too good to be true, as the fraud police say, it probably is. And check out who you are dealing with before you give them money or sensitive personal information. Not everyone out there is full of the Aloha spirit. So be careful. And good luck!

So tell us, what is the special skill you possess that makes you a candidate for a job they've never offered off-island before? Are you fluent in Mandarin Chinese or something?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM

182 posts, read 356,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So tell us, what is the special skill you possess that makes you a candidate for a job they've never offered off-island before? Are you fluent in Mandarin Chinese or something?
Our three daughters are conversationally fluent in Mandarin. I'm guessing from your message this will give them a hiring advantage? If so, how much?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Our three daughters are conversationally fluent in Mandarin.
Depends on the job, we recently hired dozens of Mandarin speakers for our new route to China. Mandarin was a requirement.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight....you are insisting that every single listing sub-$1000 is a scam? ...........
OP, I have seen what real estate, including the tiny condos, costs to buy. I know what electricity costs. I've seen how high the HOA fees are for each one of those tiny apartments, and I am telling you to be extremely cautious about adorable little 1 bedroom condos in decent areas, with electricity and air conditioning included and adorable furniture, all for $900 a month. Even more so when they throw in a swimming pool, ocean view, and parking.

The rental market is tight. Multiple people apply for every vacancy. Landlords don't really have a lot of motivation to rent to strangers for a bunch of money less than the condo is costing them each month.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM

14 posts, read 49,291 times
To be honest $25 anywhere is bad and almost imposible to live on. You would be better off in Florida or Texas where there are actaully jobs that you can make more money. But if you don't think you can make any more money I would think you better off in Hawaii. At least if your going be homeless you better off on the beach then the subway.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Quote:
hawaii apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

It seems like there are quite a few options here. Can someone name me neighborhoods in Honolulu to avoid, and why?
I can vouch for the Craigslist rental $950. 270sf. I have the same studio for $1095 but I include electricity. Actually on the low side. I just rented the 1 bedroom next door for $1845, $150 more than the previous lease.
With all the new construction going on in Waikiki you'll see a rent spike.

For short term rental coming in search Craigslist for Hawaiiam Monarch. Weekly rentals under $300.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
With all the new construction going on in Waikiki you'll see a rent spike.
I'm curious what you mean by this. Absent other factors, generally prices go up as supply diminishes, and go down as supply increases.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
More luxury apartments means more people drawn to the area therefore raising rent across the board. When a new building goes up in Honolulu, a side effect is higher rents.

In Waikiki it doesn't always mean more supply. There isn't vacant land. They usually raze something old and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu