Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
But you are talking rents increasing 6% due to market dynamics ONLY. That's totally insane.
Yep, but true. Insane? Read any articles about Honolulu rents and insane does seem to come up. What are you basing your claim that $200 was low rent in 1978? Did your grade school do a field trip to Waikiki? I was here renting/buying and land lording.

insane is thinking that rents have ONLY grown 3% a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Yep, but true. Insane? Read any articles about Honolulu rents and insane does seem to come up. What are you basing your claim that $200 was low rent in 1978? Did your grade school do a field trip to Waikiki? I was here renting/buying and land lording.

Absent any significant gentrification I find 6% YOY increases over 35 years to be impossible. I can't find a 12-year period anywhere within the last 30 years where rents have doubled. I've even asked around some of my older friends and family as your previous posts got me curious. 6% is far from sustainable in the long term.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Absent any significant gentrification I find 6% YOY increases over 35 years to be impossible. I can't find a 12-year period anywhere within the last 30 years where rents have doubled. I've even asked around some of my older friends and family as your previous posts got me curious. 6% is far from sustainable in the long term.
Um. how about 2001 to 2013? I placed tenants in at $850, probably a little under market as I saw these people as extra long term tenants. I have the date because I took the new tenants out to Haiku Gardens for dinner with some friends and they sent me a dated photo from the night. See what a great landlord I am. Now they are still there and markets rents are just under $2,000.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
The paradise tax needs to be vetod lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The paradise tax needs to be vetod lol.
IF someone found a way to make the cost of living go down to anywhere close to the average mainland area, then a lot more people would want to move to Hawaii. Before you know it, all the islands could look like Honolulu. Not good for the 'aina or the kai around the islands.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
IF someone found a way to make the cost of living go down to anywhere close to the average mainland area, then a lot more people would want to move to Hawaii.
Agreed. The cost of living in my opinion is at least 30% to low. The islands can't sustain the population growth and higher costs would would be an incentive to not move here.

Everytime I see the single mother threads, $5,000 in savings, 2 large German Shepards and I want a $2,000 rental, I've got 6 kids and hate winter, blah, blah, blah, and people say, sure, you can make it - it just makes me think it isn't nearly expensive enough. It's kind of comical that people don't understand the repercussions of population growth on small islands.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:

I was renting a 1/1 apartment at the Mount Terrace in Hawaii Kai in 1983, it was nice, furnished, and $800.00 a month, without utilities. Did your place at 200 bucks a month in Waikiki include the blue tarp, or was it an additional charge?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I was renting a 1/1 apartment at the Mount Terrace in Hawaii Kai in 1983, it was nice, furnished, and $800.00 a month, without utilities. Did your place at 200 bucks a month in Waikiki include the blue tarp, or was it an additional charge?

No, secure elevator highrise a couple of blocks from IMP. Interesting that the Mount Terrace website shows only 2bed/ 2 bath units in the development.

Last edited by honobob; 05-29-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
No, secure elevator highrise a couple of blocks from IMP. Interesting that the Mount Terrace website shows only 2bed/ 2 bath units in the development.
The owner had two units on the 18th floor, split one down with just the kitchen, bath and one bedroom, with a secure door into the rest of the unit. Nice catch though.. Doesn't alter the fact of what the rent was. Maybe Hawaii Kai is just more expensive. But not that much.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
IF someone found a way to make the cost of living go down to anywhere close to the average mainland area, then a lot more people would want to move to Hawaii. Before you know it, all the islands could look like Honolulu. Not good for the 'aina or the kai around the islands.
There is no paradise tax, its an expression. It basicly says "to charge someone as high as possible".

Yup you guys got yourselves in a jam. I believe hotz, honobob,Jungjohann, pj737 and other older people from the islands would agree that Oahu is not the same as it was in the past. Most would agree that 30, 40 years ago Oahu was far cheaper rent wise and the population was still reasonable, Why? Well i believe others can agree we had another major population control measure and that was culture shock and people not being able to adapt to living in a foreign country. Most of us old enough remember oahu not having the real mainland stores or chains or comforts of the mainland.

Continue next
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu