Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM

39 posts, read 85,285 times

Advertisements

Erm, not sure if I should be worried about crackheads. For one, at night I'll be at home, and my planned GPS security system has a pager function as well. If they don't respond to a 1000 OTF lumen flashlight beam lighting him up and a loud shout, they'll get an arrow in the ass(I'm not kidding). Not to mention that at night, my mom's car will be parked in front of it, making it hard to move anywhere without waking up the entire neighborhood.

In the day, it's a high traffic street with plenty of foot and car traffic(the sidewalk is literally 3 feet away). There are potentially 42 units with multiple occupants all moving in and out of the building at all hours of the day. An unpleasant face-to-face or ass-to-arrow encounter could await the thief at all hours of the day. I strongly suspect both the stolen moped and stolen car didn't have alarms and were stolen in the dead of night.

I doubt any single person is going to have an easy time stealing it, it would take 2 minimum for the bike itself, and probably 3-4 with a weighted anchor(sitting on the ground, not into it). I'm reasonably certain it would take several people and a van to quickly move it out(not sure if it would be quiet).

Thing is, I'm not sure if individuals steal bikes on the spot by defeating the lock and hotwiring it, or if people usually cooperate and toss the bike into a vehicle(no need to know how to ride it). The locks I usually see are pretty **** poor by most standards, and typically only the wheel itself is locked. Also pretty sure 99% of all mopeds/scooters don't even have an alarm or cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7Valiant View Post
Erm, not sure if I should be worried about crackheads.
Agreed - I don't hear much about "crackheads" here...

Now, Weed and Meth is an entirely different thing.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Eh, I think alcohol might have to be tossed in too. Get a few drunken idiots coming in at work. Then I had a drunken hippie who looked like he was stoned too, kept following me around not shutting up for about an hour, telling me what an a-hole I was.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Erm, not sure if I should be worried about crackheads. For one, at night I'll be at home, and my planned GPS security system has a pager function as well. If they don't respond to a 1000 OTF lumen flashlight beam lighting him up and a loud shout, they'll get an arrow in the ass(I'm not kidding). Not to mention that at night, my mom's car will be parked in front of it, making it hard to move anywhere without waking up the entire neighborhood.

In the day, it's a high traffic street with plenty of foot and car traffic(the sidewalk is literally 3 feet away). There are potentially 42 units with multiple occupants all moving in and out of the building at all hours of the day. An unpleasant face-to-face or ass-to-arrow encounter could await the thief at all hours of the day. I strongly suspect both the stolen moped and stolen car didn't have alarms and were stolen in the dead of night.

I doubt any single person is going to have an easy time stealing it, it would take 2 minimum for the bike itself, and probably 3-4 with a weighted anchor(sitting on the ground, not into it). I'm reasonably certain it would take several people and a van to quickly move it out(not sure if it would be quiet).

Thing is, I'm not sure if individuals steal bikes on the spot by defeating the lock and hotwiring it, or if people usually cooperate and toss the bike into a vehicle(no need to know how to ride it). The locks I usually see are pretty **** poor by most standards, and typically only the wheel itself is locked. Also pretty sure 99% of all mopeds/scooters don't even have an alarm or cover.
Nobody steals a moped by ripping it from its location and throwing it into a pick up truck making a butt-ton of noise in the process. Professional thieves will stage the area... have spotters... they use scramblers to deactivate alarms/GPS trackers and professional cutting equipment that will sever any chain/cable making less noise than a refrigerator in the process. A truck/van that will accept the bike will be parked around the corner or further down the street... WAY down the street not fronting residential units. The thieves will walk the bike down the sidewalk and nobody would suspect a thing - it's just a guy that ran out of gas... bike broke down, etc. The thief can literally walk it for MILES without any suspicion.

Like I said... just lock it up and you'll be fine. Get insurance with Geico; if it gets stolen you'll get money to buy a new one. No need to sit on your lanai with a bow and cocked arrow all night good grief.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Agreed - I don't hear much about "crackheads" here...

Now, Weed and Meth is an entirely different thing.
Crackheads, meth heads, heroin heads, whatever. It's all the same... whacked out druggies looking to get themselves some free stuff to help support their lifestyle.

I've never had a "weed" head steal anything from me.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Crackheads, meth heads, heroin heads, whatever. It's all the same... whacked out druggies looking to get themselves some free stuff to help support their lifestyle.

I've never had a "weed" head steal anything from me.
You know uncle its funny you brought that up. But in da older times in Hawaii i don't recall ever seeing a homless person or someone spunout on meth. Not saying there wasn't any, but obviously it wasn't an issue. We smoked pokalolo and drank but i don't recall anything more. Wonder where the hopelessness came from to get into other things? Do you have an opinion on that?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Nobody steals a moped by ripping it from its location and throwing it into a pick up truck making a butt-ton of noise in the process. Professional thieves will stage the area... have spotters... they use scramblers to deactivate alarms/GPS trackers and professional cutting equipment that will sever any chain/cable making less noise than a refrigerator in the process. A truck/van that will accept the bike will be parked around the corner or further down the street... WAY down the street not fronting residential units. The thieves will walk the bike down the sidewalk and nobody would suspect a thing - it's just a guy that ran out of gas... bike broke down, etc. The thief can literally walk it for MILES without any suspicion.

Like I said... just lock it up and you'll be fine. Get insurance with Geico; if it gets stolen you'll get money to buy a new one. No need to sit on your lanai with a bow and cocked arrow all night good grief.
Pickup no, the alarm will be screaming down the street. I also don't get how a scrambler would disable the installed alarm, unless it's supposed to shock the unit and fry it? Both the GPS and alarm are two separate modules, each with their own backup battery.

I hope to God no pro would go after my $4,000 bike, as that seems a little petty for their skill level. If they can afford that kind of gear, it seems wasted for anything less than a Harley or supersport 1200cc.

I also wouldn't be camping my lanai. Like I said, my alarm system has a pager. I could just leave the bow on the lanai. I was personally thinking a high powered airsoft gun(the kind that punctures skin) would get me in less trouble though.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Thinking outside the established box here...

Since there is nothing substantial at your assigned parking place to chain the bike to, but there are other spaces that do have usable posts or whatever, have you looked into the possibility of changing to another parking space?

Even if it's a space that is specified in your deed, so you can't do a permanent swap, you might find someone who could be persuaded to do an exchange, perhaps for a small financial inducement?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
I could just leave the bow on the lanai. I was personally thinking a high powered airsoft gun(the kind that punctures skin) would get me in less trouble though.
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but that's a thought you really should banish from consideration. If you actually attacked someone... yes, even a drug addled thief... with a bow and arrow, or even an airsoft gun, you could wind up arrested and charged with a crime and possibly wind up with legal costs far beyond the value of that scooter.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Heres a thought outside the box op, i know some apartments etc have ground storage rooms for tenants. Have you thought maybe stories your scoot there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu