Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 85,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but that's a thought you really should banish from consideration. If you actually attacked someone... yes, even a drug addled thief... with a bow and arrow, or even an airsoft gun, you could wind up arrested and charged with a crime and possibly wind up with legal costs far beyond the value of that scooter.
Yeah, this is why non-violent crimes have exploded in lieu of violent crimes. There are individuals walking about that have multiple felony convictions, and because our prisons are supposedly full, they're releasing anyone back onto the streets if it's a non-violent crime, giving them more opportunity to have another try, maybe get some payback at the person they were stealing from(funny how justice works in the eyes of a criminal). They can be fined, but nothing will ever come of it given that they don't have any money(unless it's for the tools of their trade, then they have thousand dollar equipment), but I'm going to be fined and possibly thrown in jail because I pop them with a pellet?

I might as well buy a $30,000 Harley and just leave it unlocked on the street with a sign that says, "Help Yourself!"

Quote:
Thinking outside the established box here...

Since there is nothing substantial at your assigned parking place to chain the bike to, but there are other spaces that do have usable posts or whatever, have you looked into the possibility of changing to another parking space?

Even if it's a space that is specified in your deed, so you can't do a permanent swap, you might find someone who could be persuaded to do an exchange, perhaps for a small financial inducement?
Quite, but it would be difficult to find someone willing to do so even then, as my current spot is difficult to park into(for a car) and is completely exposed to where the bird droppings fall. The board president recommended I try to find tenants who rent the units and either don't care where they park or might not have a car(unlikely). Problem is, he didn't mention how I'm supposed to do that, as the assigned stalls don't list which unit the stall belongs to, and I get the impression that being a door-to-door salesman for a day might annoy some folks(if they're even home).

I think the best option right now as far as convenience is to just lock it up to a makeshift anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Heres a thought outside the box op, i know some apartments etc have ground storage rooms for tenants. Have you thought maybe stories your scoot there?
No ground storage, but there's a self-storage about 25 minutes away. Problem is, my travel time via The Bus(including walking to the bus stop) is about an hour on average. Given the need to walk down there, catch the elevator, unlock and then lock the unit, take the elevator back down again, and then ride to campus, it would be cheaper to simply take the bus instead.

I'd rather leave that option in reserve in the event that someone cuts my cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
I think you'll be OK just parking the bike in the stall. Scooters and Harley's are the primary target of theives if they are after 2 wheeled vehicles.

Scooters becauses the registration system here is broke, and a can of spray paint makes it yours. Scooters are normally stolen for transportation of the theives (not much resale value), mostly stolen by teens, not pros.

Harley's are stolen all the time too. Couple big local boys and a pick-up truck, and the bike is gone in less that two minutes. From there it's off the island that day, or parted out, so either way your not getting it back, and the theives are almost never caught. These guys are normally pros, and have specific interest in the $ value of the bike on the mainland/outer islands.

The 250's (any brand) are registered with the DMV (so they are traceable) but are not worth much for resale or parts - hence I think you'll be OK parking in the stall. I would use a brake lock with a dayglow cord to the handle bars for the lock (a lock keeps an honest man honest), but other than that, a tree or bush MIGHT add 30 seconds to the theft process, so not really a deterant.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I think you'll be OK just parking the bike in the stall. Scooters and Harley's are the primary target of theives if they are after 2 wheeled vehicles.

Scooters becauses the registration system here is broke, and a can of spray paint makes it yours. Scooters are normally stolen for transportation of the theives (not much resale value), mostly stolen by teens, not pros.
Are you referring to mopeds? The law defines motor scooters as anything above 50cc or 30 mph max speed. Technically a modified moped is still a moped. Scooters must be registered and insured, and the driver must have a motorcycle license to operate one.

Quote:
Harley's are stolen all the time too. Couple big local boys and a pick-up truck, and the bike is gone in less that two minutes. From there it's off the island that day, or parted out, so either way your not getting it back, and the theives are almost never caught. These guys are normally pros, and have specific interest in the $ value of the bike on the mainland/outer islands.
I always found it interesting that Harley's were so coveted given that a cruiser V-twin doesn't seem like something with a high demand for parts given that they're usually not the vehicle of choice for high-speed joyriding. Is it just the monetary value? Because I honestly see a few in the sub-$7,000 range, which doesn't seem all that expensive IMO. Or is it simply because they're so prevalent that it's almost relegated to pest status?

Quote:
The 250's (any brand) are registered with the DMV (so they are traceable) but are not worth much for resale or parts - hence I think you'll be OK parking in the stall. I would use a brake lock with a dayglow cord to the handle bars for the lock (a lock keeps an honest man honest), but other than that, a tree or bush MIGHT add 30 seconds to the theft process, so not really a deterant.
Right now I'm looking into buying a somewhat tall but narrow planter pot, putting a couple of 45 lbs barbell plates into it, drop a few pieces of rebar for reinforcement, run a pipe through the middle(drilling holes into the sides), and filling it with concrete to create a makeshift anchor to the tune of about 200-250 lbs. The top 8 inches or so will be filled with dirt and a nice small palm plant will be put there along with some grass.

Everybody will know what it is, but I'm hoping the decor matches with the background so HOA won't demand I remove it.

It's not a thief-proof device, it's just to make it a PITA to steal for two bros with a van. I suspect professionals wouldn't be interested in a $3,500 maxi scooter, so this is to keep idle hands from getting a free meal.

I doubt amateurs would get by the GPS tracker anyway, so it's just to save me the trouble of having HPD retrieve it, maybe in a slightly damaged state.

^^^Also pretty sure one of these are generally a very uncommon sight here on the islands, spray painted or not. I spotted a Honda Forza(bigger brother of the PCX) and instantly recognized it. That scooter profile is separate and distinct from any other common moped, and you won't mistake it for a crotch rocket.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM

317 posts, read 747,362 times
Quote:
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but that's a thought you really should banish from consideration. If you actually attacked someone... yes, even a drug addled thief... with a bow and arrow, or even an airsoft gun, you could wind up arrested and charged with a crime and possibly wind up with legal costs far beyond the value of that scooter.
^^^^^ This you could be in serious trouble especially out there! Someone might see that air soft gun and kill you ..they look real these days.

Probably not in HI but most states you can protect your life from danger...scooters not so much. They're considered an inanimate object. Thus can be replaced but the bad guy you kill for a $4,000 moped can never come back and his family will be living in you and your mom's unit and have that parking space for their own. Think with your brain,,,not emotion

Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 AM

Eh, I'm not looking to kill anyone over theft. I just think some level of force ought to be allowed, as I would think pain is a great deterrent for petty theft. Maybe rig some pepper spray into my cover?

In any case, I'm not sure the picture is quite as bleak as some might believe:
http://ag.hawaii.gov/cpja/files/2013...glary-2012.pdf
Quote:
While the value recovered for other stolen property ranges from 1.8% to 18.6%, the value recovered for stolen motor vehicles is 68.1%, reflecting the fact that most stolen vehicles are eventually recovered, and
may be able to be driven upon or soon after recovery.
Not sure if there's a significant difference between the statistics for motorcycles and cars, as I believe they're all lumped in there. Plus I'm sure motorcycles are easier to completely disassemble than cars, and HPD will prioritize cars because of their typically higher value.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM

26 posts, read 64,340 times
This thread makes me value my garage even more

Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It sounds like it should be safe against the causal thief. The pros would simply load it into the back of a stolen van, disable the security system, and probably take it to a "chop shop" in somewhere in Central Oʻahu.
Victim helps police uncover suspected chop shop operation - Hawaii News Now
Police uncover chop shop - The Honolulu Advertiser

Overall, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Besides, that's what insurance is for.
That happened to my late husband's Harley, PLUS it was kept in a small gated parking lot. They learned his schedule, drove in the gate with someone who had access, put it a truck and off they went.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 AM

16 posts, read 25,012 times
I am moving o the Big Island in August and just purchased a brand new scooter. After reading this tread, I will be getting full coverage on it. $500 a year vs $80 for liability. It seems expensive since the scooter cost around $4k out the door, but I don't want to have to worry about theft or lug a big chain every time I park it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That happened to my late husband's Harley, PLUS it was kept in a small gated parking lot. They learned his schedule, drove in the gate with someone who had access, put it a truck and off they went.
Hmm, a truck? Seems like he didn't chain it up on top of not having an alarm.

From what I understand, it's relatively easy to get into a gated garage, so it would only be a deterrent for petty thieves who would steal cheaper mopeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
I am moving o the Big Island in August and just purchased a brand new scooter. After reading this tread, I will be getting full coverage on it. $500 a year vs $80 for liability. It seems expensive since the scooter cost around $4k out the door, but I don't want to have to worry about theft or lug a big chain every time I park it.
I would say that theft isn't as prevalent on the Big Island as it is in Oahu(dense metro area VS rural). Get the insurance of course, and I'd recommend a disk lock alarm in lieu of regular installed alarms if you're worried about weight.

I was actually considering not chaining it to anything solid at all. The PCX was supposed to have a 2015 model released in July, but that might be delayed for a while. I figure if I buy the 2013 model and it gets stolen, insurance will pay me out and I can get the 2015 model. Not saying I'm trying to get it stolen, as I'll still get the security I was originally planning to spend on it(might also mean I'll lose out about $1,000 on the security + fees & taxes), but I figure it'll give me some information on what kind of thieves I'll be dealing with based on whether it'll be recovered by HPD or not(mostly seeing if the people who steal it are smart enough to remove the GPS unit). I'll also get a measure of how much theft plagues the neighborhood based on how long it takes for it to either get stolen, or for someone to try it.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7Valiant View Post
I'll also get a measure of how much theft plagues the neighborhood based on how long it takes for it to either get stolen, or for someone to try it.
Almost sounds like you'll be disappointed if it isn't stolen...

'Man, had it for a month now, and no takers. Bummerz.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu