Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 85,290 times

Advertisements

Note:
I obviously don't want to advertise where I live in addition to what I have locked up and with what, so if you recognize where it is, please refrain from sharing it.

I'm 26, and just signed a mortgage with my mom(get those laughs out, if you can blame me given the living costs). Thing is, she kind of rushed it a bit, so I didn't get an opportunity to confirm with HOA whether I could park something like a motorcycle or scooter there, or what I could lock it to. I was told(after signing) that I could only park it in front of my assigned stall. Thing is, it's an open lot, and the only thing I'm evidently allowed to lock it to(and even that is questionable given that the HOA Board President suggested I keep it low-key and subtle) is a shrub/small tree with the base of the trunk being maybe 5-6 inches thick, and each individual branch is about 2-inches thick.

My stall.

The shrub.

Close-up.

The vehicle in question will either be a 2015 Honda PCX, or 2014 Honda Rebel, or 2014 Yamaha V-Star 250. Depends on what the dealer has. All under $4,500 MSRP, and the last 2 are listed among the "Top 5 motorcycles least likely to be stolen".

The surrounding area is more or less open, although the foliage blocks most of the view, and my mother's car is usually parked there from 5pm to 7 am, and I typically go out for college classes from 9 to 3-ish, but will likely leave the thing parked from Fri-Sun when I go to work. You can still get the vehicle in and out of there(otherwise parking would be a pain for me), but it would probably take longer if the wheel was locked and you had to drag the roughly 300 lbs out of there from between the cars. The "wall" to the street is only about 2 feet high, and is just high enough for a bum to sit on it(and there's one guy there constantly).

My security is:
2x Protector 13mm - 8.2' (2.5m) Boron Steel Noose chain = 2 x $267
3x Squire SS50CS Stronghold High Security padlock = 3 x $98
Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Large Cover = $79
Dowco Alarm Unit for Weatherall Plus covers = $18
ABUS 83WP/63 Weatherproof House-Key padlock(to lock cover) = $40

Scorpio Ride Core System = $219
Scorpio Secure Kit = $159
Data Plan(1 yr) = $132

Rough Total = $1,475

So yeah, pretty generous... stupid shrub aside.

My unit is on the 6th floor(8 total, 1st floor is parking), and I have a clear view over the spot in question, as do 21 other units. We also need to have louver/jalousie windows, so sounds from the street below tend to carry well. I have two 125+ dB alarms, so if one of them goes off, there are a LOT of people who would possibly hear it(gets DAMNED annoying at night), not counting anyone on the street. The street itself has medium foot traffic and plenty of vehicle traffic, even past midnight. I also plan to use another cover, rough it up a little, slap duct tape over it, and put it over my nice locking cover(which will set off the cover alarm if someone cuts it open).

At this point, I'm pretty set on what I have for security, and I'm pretty sure the HOA won't allow much in the way of alternatives(such as putting a ground anchor into the dirt and running the chain through two of those). The locks would be VERY difficult to cut through quickly without making a racket for the whole building to hear. 42-inch bolt cutters are a bare minimum.

I'm assuming that:
A) They would try it during the day, when my mom's car is moved.
B) They would toss it into the back of a van or pickup(more likely a van, given the alarm), mostly because I plan to lock the front wheel to the frame(they going to lift the front and run all the way back home with it?).

My main question to all of you is:
How likely is it that someone would even TRY to steal it?

The neighborhood itself is so-so. It's not quite "bad", but the Micronesian kids usually live about 2 blocks away, and they usually come into the grocery store I work at not too far off to either shoplift or break something. The neighbors are pretty friendly, and people go in and out during the day(only one small elevator) at all hours.

I'm not sure how hard it is to break that shrub, but it could probably take me more than 5 minutes(because it typically doesn't tend to break clean, and all 4 of those branches need to be broken clean off because they're higher than the chain is long. The wall is also right next to it, so it can't be done from outside, there's shrubs all around it, and a bad swing(with a machete) could hit the wall. It would also be pretty obvious during the day.

The casual thieves would probably run off the second they trip an alarm. I just don't know if professionals would go after it. I'm not sure whether a pro tends to hang out anywhere outside of the hotspots(Downtown, Chinatown, Waikiki, UH campus). I also don't know if they would go after something with a ratty cover, if they would steal it without knowing what it is, or if they would even bother with such a relatively cheap(but still new) bike. I also don't know if thieves here would throw a 300 lbs bike into a van. It's popular in the UK, but people here seem to insist that thieves don't do that(not sure what their basis is for making that claim).

Again, not really looking for security advice. Just wanted to know whether anyone here on the island had run-ins with thieves involving a locked/alarmed vehicle and would know how far the thieves here would go to steal something. Would be twice as great if I could get a word from police on this, but thus far HPD just insists on repeating the blatantly obvious that I can't make it proof against theft. I frankly don't have to, I just need to make it harder to steal than the one next to mine.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Anyone other than the crack heads who might give a shot at my ride?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Why not stop by the local police station and ask them what they think?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Yes, agree to check with your area police department to get auto/Motorcycle/Scooter Theft information.
If you haven't checked yet here is a link to the Honolulu Police Department. Auto theft map and all Districts 1 through 8 Island wide. It might help you out. HPD Information
Best of luck.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Again, not really looking for security advice. Just wanted to know whether anyone here on the island had run-ins with thieves involving a locked/alarmed vehicle and would know how far the thieves here would go to steal something. Would be twice as great if I could get a word from police on this, but thus far HPD just insists on repeating the blatantly obvious that I can't make it proof against theft. I frankly don't have to, I just need to make it harder to steal than the one next to mine.
Yeah, they don't really say much other than that.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM

26 posts, read 64,347 times
You had me until "the Micronesian kids".

Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM

I don't discriminate. I hate everybody equally. Don't want me to stereotype? You can register your complaint with the shoplifters at my workplace for being born of the same race.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
In the first photo you posted, it looks like there is a larger tree on the left? Looks like you can see a larger trunk and some branches just on the edge of the photo. Everything you've listed to lock up your scooter would deter almost all thieves...they would be looking for the easy-to-grab joy ride, not the chained-to-a-tree one. The weak point would be the bush you showed, but even then I think it's going to more hassle than most thieves want to spend the time with. Just make sure you get the chain down around the base of the shrub where it's thickest.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7Valiant View Post
The vehicle in question will either be a 2015 Honda PCX, or 2014 Honda Rebel, or 2014 Yamaha V-Star 250. Depends on what the dealer has. All under $4,500 MSRP, and the last 2 are listed among the "Top 5 motorcycles least likely to be stolen".

My security is:
2x Protector 13mm - 8.2' (2.5m) Boron Steel Noose chain = 2 x $267
3x Squire SS50CS Stronghold High Security padlock = 3 x $98
Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Large Cover = $79
Dowco Alarm Unit for Weatherall Plus covers = $18
ABUS 83WP/63 Weatherproof House-Key padlock(to lock cover) = $40

Scorpio Ride Core System = $219
Scorpio Secure Kit = $159
Data Plan(1 yr) = $132

Rough Total = $1,475

My main question to all of you is:
How likely is it that someone would even TRY to steal it?

The neighborhood itself is so-so. It's not quite "bad", but the Micronesian kids usually live about 2 blocks away, and they usually come into the grocery store I work at not too far off to either shoplift or break something. The neighbors are pretty friendly, and people go in and out during the day(only one small elevator) at all hours.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Anyone other than the crack heads who might give a shot at my ride?
It sounds like it should be safe against the causal thief. The pros would simply load it into the back of a stolen van, disable the security system, and probably take it to a "chop shop" in somewhere in Central Oʻahu.
Victim helps police uncover suspected chop shop operation - Hawaii News Now
Police uncover chop shop - The Honolulu Advertiser

Overall, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Besides, that's what insurance is for.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM

323 posts, read 428,585 times
police dont care about moto si theft. Just assume it will be stolen. As it will be............lol. its called grass roots re-distribution..............lol.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,728 times
Surf buddy had his moped stolen at his work off Beretania. He had gotten in the habit of not locking it up. I'm sure it only took a few drive by's of the right people before they nabbed it.

+1 on theft insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu