Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 32,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmmm, so all advice - unless it is some thing you don't want to hear.
"that way only 1 of you flames out."

No, I'm looking for constructive advice, that will support a decision I've already made. The only decent information you provided were sublets on Craigslist but felt the need to be snobbish. I recognized your name from several other threads and you're rarely useful to anyone, you're mostly a cynical annoyance to anyone looking to relocate on a strained budget, or has a similar situation to mine. You can play this game like you were actually attempting to provide viable information but don't be silly, we both know that wasn't the case. Please, if you have any information that could possibly better my transitioning process to Hawaii, I'd like to hear it, I'm on a very tight budget but I'm extremely adamant about moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshuR View Post
Hey thanks, Hotzcatz. Yeah, I forgot to mention public transportation will be vital.
Well, that means Oahu.

Quote:
I haven't looked too much into WWOOF'ing or the YMCA but those do seem like more secure options.
WWOOFing is wayyy rural. And you not only won't get paid, they'll all tell you to bring money to pay for things like... more food. WWOOFing is not a suitable base from which to commute to where the jobs are.

Quote:
The unemployment rate where I live is several percent higher than Hawaii and I nor my friends have ever taken issue with finding jobs. I'm completely comfortable with a competitive job market, I'm however not comfortable with virtually no job market.
But there are several things about the Hawai'i job market that are different than the mainland, which don't seem to figure into your calculations so far. One is that a lot of the entry level jobs are only offered at 19 hours a week, to avoid having to provide you with health insurance. It can take 3 jobs just to reach 40 hours employment per week.

Another is that most companies won't schedule job interviews with you until you are already in Hawai'i, because of the very high rate of flake-outs from mainland applicants. Matter of fact, as was just pointed out on the Maui forum, increasingly you won't even be considered for some jobs until you've been a Hawai'i resident at least 6 months.

And yet another is that more than anyplace else I know, except maybe the Hollywood film industry, jobs go to family and friends first, and "family" is a very loose term here. Basically, if someone is the nephew of a friend of the manager's great-aunt's brother-in-law, they will have hiring preference over you.

Quote:
And I'm alright with waiting too, It's extremely rare for me to be upset, and I'm virtually never impatient. Thanks for the advice.
OK, then the advice is... wait to come over until you have a marketable job skill that's in demand in Hawai'i, and have more money saved. Don't be impatient.

And use your time to your advantage to read through the archives here, which are a goldmine of information. And while you're at it, maybe move to someplace else where there are more jobs, but the cost of living is lower than Hawai'i. That will help you to save money towards a visit to Hawai'i to see if you even want to live here. Right now you're running on fantasies... as your comment about living on mangoes and fish underlines.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
I'm on a very tight budget but I'm extremely adamant about moving there.
Why? If you've never even vacationed in Hawai'i, you don't really know anything. And being adamant can blind you to the truth.

And if you don't want to hear about the real world, and how it really works in Hawai'i, this is the wrong place to ask your questions.

I think you'll find that a number of us are quite supportive of people who have a dream, and even a reasonable plan for how to make it here. A dream alone is not enough.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, that means Oahu.

WWOOFing is wayyy rural. And you not only won't get paid, they'll all tell you to bring money to pay for things like... more food. WWOOFing is not a suitable base from which to commute to where the jobs are.

But there are several things about the Hawai'i job market that are different than the mainland, which don't seem to figure into your calculations so far. One is that a lot of the entry level jobs are only offered at 19 hours a week, to avoid having to provide you with health insurance. It can take 3 jobs just to reach 40 hours employment per week.

Another is that most companies won't schedule job interviews with you until you are already in Hawai'i, because of the very high rate of flake-outs from mainland applicants. Matter of fact, as was just pointed out on the Maui forum, increasingly you won't even be considered for some jobs until you've been a Hawai'i resident at least 6 months.

And yet another is that more than anyplace else I know, except maybe the Hollywood film industry, jobs go to family and friends first, and "family" is a very loose term here. Basically, if someone is the nephew of a friend of the manager's great-aunt's brother-in-law, they will have hiring preference over you.

OK, then the advice is... wait to come over until you have a marketable job skill that's in demand in Hawai'i, and have more money saved. Don't be impatient.

And use your time to your advantage to read through the archives here, which are a goldmine of information. And while you're at it, maybe move to someplace else where there are more jobs, but the cost of living is lower than Hawai'i. That will help you to save money towards a visit to Hawai'i to see if you even want to live here. Right now you're running on fantasies... as your comment about living on mangoes and fish underlines.
I've went over many things you have addressed here. Firstly, I have job experience in several fields and several certifications, I was stating that in my initial move I'm perfectly willing to work at entry-level positions. Companies for the most part won't know that I'm on mainland, I register a 808 area code and use it for my applications. Also I did mention prospecting many full-time positions opposed to part-time, so that also was part of my calculations. And according to Hawaii Revised Statutes §11-13 residency doesn't entail any particular lengths of time, however you're right that establishments can have their own definition of residency but since it's outside government what would be substantial evidence? Six month old utility bills? I'm absolutely running on a fantasy but not one outside the realm of plausibility. I appreciate your feedback and you said a few things I'll definitely consider, thanks.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Why? If you've never even vacationed in Hawai'i, you don't really know anything. And being adamant can blind you to the truth.

And if you don't want to hear about the real world, and how it really works in Hawai'i, this is the wrong place to ask your questions.

I think you'll find that a number of us are quite supportive of people who have a dream, and even a reasonable plan for how to make it here. A dream alone is not enough.
You're right, I have no tangible knowledge of Hawaii, I have ads, statistics, blogs, and media. Do I know I'm going to absolutely satisfied and successful, nope, that's alright too. I've made my decision for personal reasons and I'm not posting here to be financial analysed or to listen to heeds of caution or to hear a bunch of skepticism.

I never said, 'Hey guys, is this plan realistic?'. It's alright, I have many things attached to my dreams, perseverance, determination, experience, and intelligence. I don't need assurance or substantial amounts of money to make it happen.

I'm asking for information that would be useful to the transition, e.g; cheap places to stay, best island and city to stay on budget, best island for job opportunities, best and most reliable transits, useful sources.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
You're right, I have no tangible knowledge of Hawaii, I have ads, statistics, blogs, and media. Do I know I'm going to absolutely satisfied and successful, nope, that's alright too. I've made my decision for personal reasons and I'm not posting here to be financial analysed or to listen to heeds of caution or to hear a bunch of skepticism.

I never said, 'Hey guys, is this plan realistic?'. It's alright, I have many things attached to my dreams, perseverance, determination, experience, and intelligence. I don't need assurance or substantial amounts of money to make it happen.

I'm asking for information that would be useful to the transition, e.g; cheap places to stay, best island and city to stay on budget, best island for job opportunities, best and most reliable transits, useful sources.
Which is why you came here - and why we are trying to give you good advice, that you don't want to hear.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Which is why you came here - and why we are trying to give you good advice, that you don't want to hear.
Haha, that's a bit subject. I hear all of it but I'm selective. It's very simple, I'm not looking for admonishment or an argument. If you have some piece of information that would assist in the move, using the details I've outlined, it would be very appreciated.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Using the details like your limited amount of savings - no. That is a big show stopper for moving to an island. If/when you run out, how do you purchase a plane ticket back? What are you going to do about transportation? The Big Island has rather limited options and if you live where the options exist (bus) the cost of rent is much higher.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Using the details like your limited amount of savings - no. That is a big show stopper for moving to an island. If/when you run out, how do you purchase a plane ticket back? What are you going to do about transportation? The Big Island has rather limited options and if you live where the options exist (bus) the cost of rent is much higher.
I can budget for return if absolutely need be, limits will be set based on circumstances. That's one of the primary reason for choosing Honolulu was for transportation. Essentially the transitions success will be largely based on finding work, I've done much research in this area and I'm a pretty resourceful guy, I'll take my chances.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Honolulu isn't an option. It would be like posting in the New York City forum and wanting your plan to work in Manhatten. No point in suggesting ideas that would simply fail on Oahu.

So you need better focus on how to make a plan work in Kona or Hilo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu