Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 PM

521 posts, read 734,748 times

Advertisements

You can start calling some companies now to network as well. One of the jobs I ended up getting here was because I was moving from the same city that the hiring manager's son lives in. I talked to her a few months before the move and emailed monthly to touch base. Then when I was here scheduled an interview. Another job I was hired for was because the HR guy graduated from the same university so we connected on that level. Maybe start cold calling and you will probably find some people you have something in common with that they will remember you by. Just keep in touch with them and hopefully you will get an in person interview when you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,349,152 times
"If four jobs is what's required then that's what I will do and I'm fully prepared to eat fish, mangoes, and ramen for months on end".

That's funny, because that is almost exactly what I said the first time I moved to the B.I. It didn't work. But no one could tell me any different, and no one will tell you, as you stated, so go ahead and get it out of your system. I DID have money to get back to California and get set up there again though. As to why employers would know that you're a recent arrival, trust me, they will know with one glance and as soon as you open your mouth. But don't believe me, go and see. I wouldn't go w/o at least $5,000, and you had better have something extra, or a fall back plan, if you need to come back, especially on O'ahu. That place just eats money. If you find some cheap digs, there's a real good reason why they're cheap. Don't even think about Chinatown, no matter how cool and cheap it may appear, unless you know the lay of the land. I went and looked at rooms there during the day despite the warnings at the North Shore hostel where I was at (see link below). They said "yeah, go back at night and look". Wow! No way, Jose!

By the way, I've traveled and lived all over the place (once moved 7 times in one year), and never once had a job lined up before I got there. I don't think most people do. Anyway, a job is not the priority, you need to see if you can live somewhere first. If it doesn't suit you, a good job is of no use at all.

http://backpackershawaii.com/

Last edited by smarino; 08-10-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM

163 posts, read 269,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshuR View Post
Ha-ha! As an interviewee I could schedule an agreeable date without mention of my current location.
This would work if you were a high level professional with skills that are highly in demand. But, why would a local company wait for you when tons of equally qualified on-island applicants are ready to go? Assuming that employers are going to wait for your "agreeable date" to roll around is going to come back and bite you. And, like someone said, a huge red flag will go up when they see you've never attended school or held a job in Hawaii. No attempt at clever misdirection is going to fix that.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,409 times
Just to play devils advocate, both jobs I got after moving here were with mainland companies, who sent mainland representatives to interview candidates. Both times, after I was job offered, I was told horror stories of "locals" showing up for the interview in slippers or not showing up at all. So while there is a bias against mainlanders from local companies, there are also plenty of mainland companies looking for people that fit into THIER corporate culture.

However I do agree with most posters that beefing up your bankroll can only help. If it takes another 2 months to save a couple thousand more, isnt that better that having to call your Mom and ask for a plane ticket to return home?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM

30 posts, read 55,408 times
Quote:
Ha-ha! As an interviewee I could schedule an agreeable date without mention of my current location. If I address residency issues in the cover letter of my résumé the probability of even an interview will be significantly decreased, between attrition rates and an inability of interpersonal communications that's not the route I find reasonable. If I'm questioned about the length of my residency or circumstances I have absolutely no intention of lying, but I believe eliminating candidacy is slightly easier and more simple if it's only a piece of paper the judgement is based from.

The coast guard waiting list is several months, or even years and I'd have to obtain a waiver for my vision.
I started planning/saving for my June 2014 move in October 2013. I started getting antsy in January and decided to see what would happen if I applied for a job while I was still on the mainland -- just wanted to see if there would be any interest in me. I applied for a couple jobs, one of them was at Queens -- on my resume and cover letter, I did not list an address (didn't have the UPS box yet) and in place of an address I stated that I would be moving to Oahu in June. I got a call back and had a phone interview! What was so amazing about that to me is that I don't have any healthcare experience, I am a legal secretary -- that really gave me renewed confidence.

I don't think there's any harm in applying for a couple jobs just to see if there is any interest. If you don't receive a call back, then you know before hand that it may take awhile to find a job and you can plan accordingly.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 9,843 times
Talking don't do it

Quote:
No, but really all guidance and/or advice will be much appreciated. A friend (Age:27) and myself (Age:24) are looking to move to Hawaii, particularly near Honolulu (We are however considering Kona / Hilo). However we will be on a budget, each of us will have between $5,000-$6,000 in savings. Both of us have an array of job experience but initially have agreed to take any job and several jobs if necessary to support Island living. However, between the amount we have saved up and the fact neither of us are transitioning into an assured position on the Island, I of course have some concerns.

I'd like first to ask, with these circumstances would the Honolulu area be the best choice? I know the real estate is quite a bit more pricey but the job opportunities seem better and I will essentially be reliant on finding a job(s) fairly quickly to avoid expending all my funds. If not, where would you recommend? It seems the real estate is extremely affordable in Hilo but between having less jobs, jobs being less prosperous, and 200 inches of rainfall a year, it wasn't the first choice. Kona on the other hand was still affordable but also had less jobs available.

Next, I were wondering if anyone had knowledge of known affordable sublets that my friend and I could stay while securing jobs and searching for more permanent residence. The idea is to apply for multiple jobs several weeks before the move, have interviews set-up upon arrival (Because most Hawaiian businesses don't strike me as hiring employees from Skype interviews) and stay in temporary housing until I have proof of employment for a leased apartment.

Now, before I receive animosity from Natives or wise words of admonishment, know this: I'm going to move to Hawaii, period. And please save your heedful warnings of homelessness, Thanks.
Don't do it, especially Honolulu! Unless you like high rent,crystal meth, crime, expensive everything and a general dislike of white skin. Why do more hawaiians live on the mainland than on the island? Hawaiians should be more afraid of Phillipine workers because they'll doing anything for less. If you do choose to go use ONLY Matson for shipping car out of Seattle,oakland or longbeach.1050$ pretty standard, car has to be EMPTIED and less than 1/4 tank of gas.Shipping 200 pounds of boxes or more use UPS 1.49pound from midwest. Finally go to Tahaiti instead, 2&1/2 hour longer flight friendlier people.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:37 AM

Thumbs down Don't do it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csassie View Post
I started planning/saving for my June 2014 move in October 2013. I started getting antsy in January and decided to see what would happen if I applied for a job while I was still on the mainland -- just wanted to see if there would be any interest in me. I applied for a couple jobs, one of them was at Queens -- on my resume and cover letter, I did not list an address (didn't have the UPS box yet) and in place of an address I stated that I would be moving to Oahu in June. I got a call back and had a phone interview! What was so amazing about that to me is that I don't have any healthcare experience, I am a legal secretary -- that really gave me renewed confidence.

I don't think there's any harm in applying for a couple jobs just to see if there is any interest. If you don't receive a call back, then you know before hand that it may take awhile to find a job and you can plan accordingly.
Visit tahaiti instead and stay employed on mainland.Moving to Hawaii is a terrible idea

Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Talking Your high dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
"If four jobs is what's required then that's what I will do and I'm fully prepared to eat fish, mangoes, and ramen for months on end".

That's funny, because that is almost exactly what I said the first time I moved to the B.I. It didn't work. But no one could tell me any different, and no one will tell you, as you stated, so go ahead and get it out of your system. I DID have money to get back to California and get set up there again though. As to why employers would know that you're a recent arrival, trust me, they will know with one glance and as soon as you open your mouth. But don't believe me, go and see. I wouldn't go w/o at least $5,000, and you had better have something extra, or a fall back plan, if you need to come back, especially on O'ahu. That place just eats money. If you find some cheap digs, there's a real good reason why they're cheap. Don't even think about Chinatown, no matter how cool and cheap it may appear, unless you know the lay of the land. I went and looked at rooms there during the day despite the warnings at the North Shore hostel where I was at (see link below). They said "yeah, go back at night and look". Wow! No way, Jose!

By the way, I've traveled and lived all over the place (once moved 7 times in one year), and never once had a job lined up before I got there. I don't think most people do. Anyway, a job is not the priority, you need to see if you can live somewhere first. If it doesn't suit you, a good job is of no use at all.

[url=http://backpackershawaii.com/]Home | Backpackers HawaiiBackpackers Hawaii[/url]
Hawaii is theeee worst place in the world to move. Why do more hawaiians live on the mainland then in paradise?I would need two days of writing to describe the horrible conditions of working families in hawaii. And I mean LOCAL hawaiian families. There is no middle class. You have it or you suffer.Drugs,crime,meth,expensive. 5000$ ???? Are you kidding me? That's chump change there. Take your 5 grand and vacation in Tahaiti!!! Better everything with no rude locals who will tell you anything if it sounds good. Talk story? No this is reality. Hawaiians don't like whites, well they shopuld be worried about phillipino's who always work for less than anyone else. If you do go buy a house rent out the ohana grow weed and hit the beach. You can get food stamps like everyone else and enjoy the waves!! Shaka shootz aloha bruddah

Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 AM

14 posts, read 32,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljireland View Post
Hawaii is theeee worst place in the world to move. Why do more hawaiians live on the mainland then in paradise?I would need two days of writing to describe the horrible conditions of working families in hawaii. And I mean LOCAL hawaiian families. There is no middle class. You have it or you suffer.Drugs,crime,meth,expensive. 5000$ ???? Are you kidding me? That's chump change there. Take your 5 grand and vacation in Tahaiti!!! Better everything with no rude locals who will tell you anything if it sounds good. Talk story? No this is reality. Hawaiians don't like whites, well they shopuld be worried about phillipino's who always work for less than anyone else. If you do go buy a house rent out the ohana grow weed and hit the beach. You can get food stamps like everyone else and enjoy the waves!! Shaka shootz aloha bruddah

I'm not visiting, I'm not shipping, and I am moving. I am curious, are you white? If so, maybe Hawaiians just don't like you, which wouldn't be entirely unreasonable.

@scgali: Thanks for the advice, I actually have been working a bit on networking.

@csassie: Yeah, my friend and I are currently testing the waters, so to speak. It would seem our departure will land in the off-season which wouldn't be advantageous, with many jobs being tourism related.

@smarino: Thanks for the information on the North Shore hostel and China Town. Well, many factors are involved so I wouldn't be so confident in the potential similarity of our outcomes.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated as this adventure unfolds. Thanks again to everyone that's helped out.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,221 times
The reasons Hawaiians only some. Don't like whites is because of the way you are. If you can't perceive how to act around locals. Than you have totally missed the point and the feeling will be mutual you won't like them and they won't like you . However if you show up don't talk as much really show in you eyes that you want to be loyal to them and a friend for life you will be the kind of person who will do good there. Learn to talk story. Just be very casual and open. Be generous in spirit and love the music. If you can't love Hawaii than Hawaii won't love you but she will wait for a time for you to change as she is forgiving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu