Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicjp0 View Post
You are correct in that sense, Honobob. I do dabble a bit in the whats and wheres, but for the sake of decision making I think will look further into the Kailua and Kakaako area. If either of you need a number then we are able to spend $2500-2700 a month, not including utilities and everything else. We are taking a bit of a paycut coming to Hawaii unfortunately.

WV1, how pricey is pricey considering the numbers above? Looking on google maps for Kakaako and seeing how close it is to the airport is very appealing. What is the general market like for that area?

This actually brings up another question; I think you can answer it with your landlord experience, Honobob. Is it true that Hawaii has some of the highest credit requirements for renting? The three of us average 730~770.
You have excellent credit scores and that will not be an issue.

$2,700 a month will be an issue depending on where you want to live. Kailua is out. Kakaako is out. You realistically will need to focus on areas west of downtown. 3 bedrooms in the desirable areas will run you at least $3,000+ but really more like $3,500+ in todays market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM

170 posts, read 292,663 times
Quote:

I found that chart on here on Cactus (thanks to the user who posted it) depicting and comparing food prices in Hawaii and Austin, TX. An example would be bread in the Islands are $3.99 and in Austin - $1.49-1.88.

Would any of you say this is an accurate comparison? I do cook regularly so I will be exploring various options. With that in mind, is there any 'options' that are worth knowing? We sometimes have wholesale produce sales from local warehouses here. Is there anything similar?
I am also from the Bay and still have my home out there.

Yes, food prices are expensive here. I never started looking at coupons since I moved here. My wife does most of the food shopping and says that Foodland is cheaper than Safeway.However, Costco prices are about the same or slightly more than the Bay.

Quote:
I also read on here that electricity can run relatively high because of AC usage. I will say that it is high to me as PGE here in San Francisco is about $70-$120 for a 1BR/Studio. What would be an estimate for 3 people that will seldom be home? What exactly is the biggest factor in calculating the bill? If it's just the AC and washer/dryer, can that be circumvented by hang-drying and using fans?
We do not have gas here. Electricity is used for everything. Hang drying and using the fans instead of using dryer/ac will save you a good amount of money. My avg bill is $185 but when we use ac it is $350.

Quote:
The three of us have agreed that Internet will be the only thing we will need in terms of cable. I read on here that Time Warner Cable and Oceanic are the lead providers. Are there any other providers that I should know about? Can I have a breakdown if costs between the two major providers and if possible, more smaller ones?
TWC and Hawaiian Telecom are the providers here with TWC being the more popular. Also, have DISH and DirectTv for satellite. Prices seem to be slightly more compared to the Bay Area. One drawback though (if you get TWC) is you can't watch Bay Area team sports like the Giants, Warriors and Sharks unless they play LA teams. If you get DirecTv you can get CSN Bay Area for an additional cost.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
There is gas service in Honolulu. I have a gas stove and a gas clothes dryer. There is a push to convert to gas and there are commercials on TV promoting it. My Diamond Head condo rental has solar water but a back up gas heater although all our units are electric.

I get phone and internet for about $40. I cannot get the same in the east bay at almost double that price.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:11 PM

170 posts, read 292,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
There is gas service in Honolulu. I have a gas stove and a gas clothes dryer. There is a push to convert to gas and there are commercials on TV promoting it. My Diamond Head condo rental has solar water but a back up gas heater although all our units are electric.

I get phone and internet for about $40. I cannot get the same in the east bay at almost double that price.
I should have been specific meaning underground gas lines like they do in CA. If the OP is renting, gas might not be an option. The triple play package I have here with TWC is $10 more than I had with Comcast back in the Bay.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a few years and this site has greatly helped me when I moved to San Francisco. Because of unfortunate circumstances, I will be relocating to Hawaii. Hawaii isn't the unfortunate part, but the circumstance is. I'm actually thrilled Honolulu was a choice.

I work for a major airline in San Francisco at SFO. There will be 3 of us total transferring to the Honolulu Airport at a tentative date of Feb. 28th. We range from 22-24 and have been with our industry for 2-4 years. We all plan on finding a 2BR to share long-term, so a lease will not be an issue. Our company will be moving our things, vehicles, and furniture at the their expense as well as reimbursing us for temporary lodging at hotels for the first 14 days. That allows us to allocate every penny we have towards security deposits, F/L mo. rent, and any other insurances or expenses we may need to cover.. which leads me to my first set of questions:

What should we expect for our initial move-in costs? This includes everything aforementioned. As a point of reference, HNL Airport should suffice. I am aware of traffic in Hawaii, but we are willing to commute. How dire would renter's insurance be in Hawaii? I have it here and it has proved to be worth it. Is there any other insurance I need to know about?

I found that chart on here on Cactus (thanks to the user who posted it) depicting and comparing food prices in Hawaii and Austin, TX. An example would be bread in the Islands are $3.99 and in Austin - $1.49-1.88.

Would any of you say this is an accurate comparison? I do cook regularly so I will be exploring various options. With that in mind, is there any 'options' that are worth knowing? We sometimes have wholesale produce sales from local warehouses here. Is there anything similar?

I also read on here that electricity can run relatively high because of AC usage. I will say that it is high to me as PGE here in San Francisco is about $70-$120 for a 1BR/Studio. What would be an estimate for 3 people that will seldom be home? What exactly is the biggest factor in calculating the bill? If it's just the AC and washer/dryer, can that be circumvented by hang-drying and using fans?

Realistically speaking, and I'm sorry if I sound incredibly naive asking this, but is it possible to bike efficiently around Honolulu- to and from the airport?

The three of us have agreed that Internet will be the only thing we will need in terms of cable. I read on here that Time Warner Cable and Oceanic are the lead providers. Are there any other providers that I should know about? Can I have a breakdown if costs between the two major providers and if possible, more smaller ones?

My last question is within the lines of which medium I should use to go apartment shopping. Currently I am using Craigslist and the app Trulia. Is there something else I should use to browse listings?

I alone will be arriving in Honolulu on the 3rd to head to a few appointments I have already established. I would like to be as prepared as possible for this move and I apologize again if I have came off as naive or ill-informed. Thank you for your time reading this winded post.

Since you're selling everything and starting from scratch, your move in costs will depend on you and your roommates taste in furniture, electronics, etc. And the cost to get that stuff into your new home.

Renter's insurance is dirt cheap. Get it.

If you shop in the right places for the right foods (at the right time - when on sale), food isn't double the cost of that in the mainland... not even close. Compared to SF, I'd say your grocery bill will be 20-30% higher. Over time, you'll get a feel for which grocery stores (and wholesale clubs) carry the food you want at the lowest price.

Honolulu isn't the most bike-friendly place but Nimitz does offer a two-way bike lane. Basically between downtown and the airport is "fairly" bike friendly. The route between Waikiki and downtown, however, is more treacherous and not recommended on a daily basis. Biking is out of the question if you live anywhere on the windward side.

If you choose a condo you cannot under any circumstance dry clothes anywhere but in an electricity powered clothes dryer. No decent condo allows line-drying of clothes. It will cost about $1.60 to dry one load in an inefficient dryer (typical all-in-one stacked machines with top-load washers you see in many condos). Newer sensor dryers will cost about $1.20/load to dry. Renting a house with a yard will allow you to eliminate those costs. Alternately, gas dryers cost about half of that for electricity.

If you cook regularly I'd say go with a home that offers gas cooking. Unless the home has a rare induction cooktop, cooking with electricity doubles the cost to heat and cook food. Some homes in older neighborhoods have gas cooking. Decent condos with gas are very rare.

TWC and Oceanic are the same company. You can get internet from Hawaiian Tel for about the same price albeit my understanding is their speeds are slightly slower. I would stay away from any other company that offers internet service.

CL is the only standard for apartment searching.

Based on your original post and feedback to other posters, I'd say the best locations would be Nuuanu, Punchbowl, Makiki, Ala Moana, Ward and Moiliili. An older, smaller single family home would be a great option to keep electricity costs down but you'll have to pay for the water/sewer bill separately.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Biking is out of the question if you live anywhere on the windward side.
Plenty of bike lanes in Kailua.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plenty of bike lanes in Kailua.
I was referring to OP's question about biking efficiently to the airport. Any windward option would only be reasonable to Lance Armstrong. After doping.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I was referring to OP's question about biking efficiently to the airport. Any windward option would only be reasonable to Lance Armstrong. After doping.
Ah (although google oddly tells me it is 3 hour ride via the back way via Hawaii Kai since you can't bike on Pali, H3, Likelike) - but you can't really bike to the airport anyway - speaking as someone who actually works at the airport. Even if you could, where are you going to take a shower when you arrive a sweaty mess? The only housing in the immediate area is military housing - and the airport gets a lot of rain compared to Waikiki/town. It isn't a realistic option from anywhere.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 9,690 times
Thank you all for your replies. @PJ, thank you for going into detail about the bike situation. I love biking here in San Francisco and I don't want to give it up moving to Hawaii. I may just get a junker to get from A to B and once we settle in, I'll get a decent pick-up or SUV.

We are currently in talks with a 2BR across from the Ala Wai golf course for 1250. I am going to Honolulu today (at the airport now) and will be taking a loot at it. Hopefully I can get something signed by the end of this trip.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. @PJ, thank you for going into detail about the bike situation. I love biking here in San Francisco and I don't want to give it up moving to Hawaii. I may just get a junker to get from A to B and once we settle in, I'll get a decent pick-up or SUV.

We are currently in talks with a 2BR across from the Ala Wai golf course for 1250. I am going to Honolulu today (at the airport now) and will be taking a loot at it. Hopefully I can get something signed by the end of this trip.
Lots of avid cyclists here in Hawaii. We are a minority but our presence is growing and the public is slowly accepting our creed. We are nowhere near as progressive as SF people... but as more elderly people pass away, better cycling options will be embraced by the city. Eh, and to the older people here - don't be offended by what's true! The older generation here (when compared to younger generations) simply doesn't care for cyclists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu