Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,684 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a few years and this site has greatly helped me when I moved to San Francisco. Because of unfortunate circumstances, I will be relocating to Hawaii. Hawaii isn't the unfortunate part, but the circumstance is. I'm actually thrilled Honolulu was a choice.

I work for a major airline in San Francisco at SFO. There will be 3 of us total transferring to the Honolulu Airport at a tentative date of Feb. 28th. We range from 22-24 and have been with our industry for 2-4 years. We all plan on finding a 2BR to share long-term, so a lease will not be an issue. Our company will be moving our things, vehicles, and furniture at the their expense as well as reimbursing us for temporary lodging at hotels for the first 14 days. That allows us to allocate every penny we have towards security deposits, F/L mo. rent, and any other insurances or expenses we may need to cover.. which leads me to my first set of questions:

What should we expect for our initial move-in costs? This includes everything aforementioned. As a point of reference, HNL Airport should suffice. I am aware of traffic in Hawaii, but we are willing to commute. How dire would renter's insurance be in Hawaii? I have it here and it has proved to be worth it. Is there any other insurance I need to know about?

I found that chart on here on Cactus (thanks to the user who posted it) depicting and comparing food prices in Hawaii and Austin, TX. An example would be bread in the Islands are $3.99 and in Austin - $1.49-1.88.

Would any of you say this is an accurate comparison? I do cook regularly so I will be exploring various options. With that in mind, is there any 'options' that are worth knowing? We sometimes have wholesale produce sales from local warehouses here. Is there anything similar?

I also read on here that electricity can run relatively high because of AC usage. I will say that it is high to me as PGE here in San Francisco is about $70-$120 for a 1BR/Studio. What would be an estimate for 3 people that will seldom be home? What exactly is the biggest factor in calculating the bill? If it's just the AC and washer/dryer, can that be circumvented by hang-drying and using fans?

Realistically speaking, and I'm sorry if I sound incredibly naive asking this, but is it possible to bike efficiently around Honolulu- to and from the airport?

The three of us have agreed that Internet will be the only thing we will need in terms of cable. I read on here that Time Warner Cable and Oceanic are the lead providers. Are there any other providers that I should know about? Can I have a breakdown if costs between the two major providers and if possible, more smaller ones?

My last question is within the lines of which medium I should use to go apartment shopping. Currently I am using Craigslist and the app Trulia. Is there something else I should use to browse listings?

I alone will be arriving in Honolulu on the 3rd to head to a few appointments I have already established. I would like to be as prepared as possible for this move and I apologize again if I have came off as naive or ill-informed. Thank you for your time reading this winded post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
You could try Google walking via Street view from the airport to any nearby housing to see if it would be bike friendly. The raised highway near the airport does make for some nice covered area for biking. You could try the Salt Lake area perhaps as being within easy to reach the airport distance, although there's a rise in elevation which may or may not affect your ride. Moanalua might be an area to look at. Traffic is usually worse on the highways than the surface streets, so if you could get to and from work without having to go on a major thoroughfare, that might actually be best.

I think landlords can only ask for first and last month's rent, but other folks will know more about that than I.

For electric costs, anything that makes heat or cold via electricity should be avoided as much as possible. So, electric water heaters are just as bad as air conditioners. You can mitigate some electric water heater costs by lowering the water temperature, timers and insulation.

You can check out Chinatown for inexpensive vegetables or if there are Filipino stores nearby, they will also have vegetables and such at lower prices.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicjp0 View Post
That allows us to allocate every penny we have towards security deposits, F/L mo. rent, and any other insurances or expenses we may need to cover.. which leads me to my first set of questions:
What should we expect for our initial move-in costs? This includes everything aforementioned.
Aloha. The rents are probably close to what you're used to, but some things are different. By law there is no first/last rent collected, just first month rent and a security deposit of up to a month's rent. The security deposit is to cover possible damages. For your last month you pay rent, then if all is well you get your security deposit back within 30 days after you vacate. You will typically be charged $50-75 for credit checks, each. Landlords must pay tax on the rent collected, which they may include, or may add. Best to get clear on that.

Quote:
I found that chart on here on Cactus (thanks to the user who posted it) depicting and comparing food prices in Hawaii and Austin, TX. An example would be bread in the Islands are $3.99 and in Austin - $1.49-1.88.
Would any of you say this is an accurate comparison? I do cook regularly so I will be exploring various options. With that in mind, is there any 'options' that are worth knowing? We sometimes have wholesale produce sales from local warehouses here. Is there anything similar?
Yes. basically it's right on for the mainland in general, where food is cheaper than where you are, but coming from San Francisco you shouldn't see that much difference.

Check the archives here (using Advanced Search) to pull up previous threads with more details. But Costco and Farmers Markets are both popular.

Quote:
I also read on here that electricity can run relatively high because of AC usage.
It runs relatively high because the rates for electricity are about 60% higher. Lots of people compensate by trying to cut their use of electricity.

Quote:
My last question is within the lines of which medium I should use to go apartment shopping. Currently I am using Craigslist and the app Trulia. Is there something else I should use to browse listings?
Use Craigslist, avoid Trulia, watch out for scam artists who will advertise apartments that are not theirs to rent. Never rent a place unseen.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 PM

181 posts, read 274,344 times
Quote:
What should we expect for our initial move-in costs?
How much ya got?

Plus 12 percent.

Seriously, what I would do in your situation is talk to crews (even from other carriers) who are actually based at HNL.

Is your carrier new to Hawai'i, or do you maybe already have a crew quarters contract with one of the hotels? If so (or if one is being set up), I would try to get a couple of weeks or a month there, to give you time to hunt around. For that matter, you might even be able to go long-term at the hotel, which would also solve the transportation issue getting to work.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 9,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha. The rents are probably close to what you're used to, but some things are different. By law there is no first/last rent collected, just first month rent and a security deposit of up to a month's rent. The security deposit is to cover possible damages. For your last month you pay rent, then if all is well you get your security deposit back within 30 days after you vacate. You will typically be charged $50-75 for credit checks, each. Landlords must pay tax on the rent collected, which they may include, or may add. Best to get clear on that.
That's very useful information about the first and last month rent. I'll be sure let the other two know this while they do their own search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Use Craigslist, avoid Trulia, watch out for scam artists who will advertise apartments that are not theirs to rent. Never rent a place unseen.
Would it be advisable to make sure the call back number is for an actual realty if I use Trulia? I try to crosscheck online for whatever realty office they provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
You could try Google walking via Street view from the airport to any nearby housing to see if it would be bike friendly. The raised highway near the airport does make for some nice covered area for biking. You could try the Salt Lake area perhaps as being within easy to reach the airport distance, although there's a rise in elevation which may or may not affect your ride. Moanalua might be an area to look at. Traffic is usually worse on the highways than the surface streets, so if you could get to and from work without having to go on a major thoroughfare, that might actually be best.
That's great information for the bike routes. Are you a regular biker? I'll keep a lookout for the Filipino stores around the areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
How much ya got?

Plus 12 percent.

Seriously, what I would do in your situation is talk to crews (even from other carriers) who are actually based at HNL.

Is your carrier new to Hawai'i, or do you maybe already have a crew quarters contract with one of the hotels? If so (or if one is being set up), I would try to get a couple of weeks or a month there, to give you time to hunt around. For that matter, you might even be able to go long-term at the hotel, which would also solve the transportation issue getting to work.
I am bringing $6000 + credit lines & savings. My two other colleagues will be bringing around 10k between the both of them + credit lines.

Our company has been with HNL for quite some time. It will be a preset contract with a hotel for the first 14 days. After that will be at our company's discretion- but in prior events such as this, our company usually allows up to 60 days.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Well. The airport area itself is a bit sketchy. And not bike commutable.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 PM

133 posts, read 182,569 times
We found our apartment on Craigslist. Definitely check it out in person or by proxy before signing anything or handing over money. But, that's true to all areas, not just Honolulu. Check out the neighborhoods that you are considering so you get a feel for how comfortable you are in the area - and not just because it is close to your workplace.

I know people who bike from Waikiki to Ala Moana area. But, I don't see many bikes on the way to the airport, and definitely not on the highway part. A bus pass is only $60 per month. Easy on the wallet. Plus, you won't have to worry about being sweaty when you get to work. (Esp. when it gets humid and hot.) When we moved here last year, we were determined to walk/bus everywhere but, found the city not very convenient (compared to my home city of NYC) so we ended up buying a car in the second month.

If there are 3 of you, buying bulk at Costco might be worth it. The Iwilei Costco is reachable by bus. We usually buy most of our fruit and veggies there. The rest, we buy at the local farmer's markets. You will like that - food is fresh and cheap and you feel like you're part of the local neighborhood.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,586 times
Quote:
The three of us have agreed that Internet will be the only thing we will need in terms of cable. I read on here that Time Warner Cable and Oceanic are the lead providers. Are there any other providers that I should know about? Can I have a breakdown if costs between the two major providers and if possible, more smaller ones?
Oceanic Time Warner is all one company, for cable and Internet. You also have Hawaiian Telecom, recently (a few years ago) broke into both Cable, Internet and telephone industry. Unless you want to go the Satellite TV/Cable route. You've got Dish or Direct TV. Just like on the Mainland.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,339,309 times
We looked (online) at a high rise apt bldg before we moved over and decided against it for a couple of reasons. HOWEVER once we started the daily commute in traffic we were on the road an hour before we passed that high rise and more than once I regretted not moving there. But my guy did some work in one of those and said the traffic noise was pretty bad. That was the funny shaped one. They're right off H1 around Aeia.

I think you'll find a lot of possible rentals. You might go with an agent.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,874,656 times
I am a Honolulu landlord for almost 40 years. I just rented two of my properties. They went within 3 days from posting on Craigslist. Rarely will I hold a property for someone and it is usual to have one renter moving out on the same day the new renter is moving in.

Have all three of you visited Waikiki and are over it? If not then you should live in Waikiki for at least 6 months. That is where your age group will be. Even if you go for cheaper rents across the Ala Wai you will always imagine that more fun is happening in Waikiki and you will be frustrated driving in and fighting parking. Plus the beach is right there.

My suggestion would be to book a vacation rental thru VRBO for a month or two. You could be ON the beach in the DH Gold Coast area for around $3,000+ and be a 15 minute walk into Waikiki. Maybe 1st month Gold Coast and second month Waikiki. You're about a 45 minute bus ride to HNL.

I'm also a Bay Area resident and ended up in the East Bay. Nice 3/2 suburban house but always thought I missed out by not living in the City. For the 13 years I worked in the City I always planned to stay and enjoy what the City has to offer after work but rarely did. I will probably vacation swap my Diamond Head place for monthly stays in SF.

Two bedrooms in Waikiki will probably have only one parking. The rent will be $2500-3500. Some include utilities, some just hot water. If you have your own HW tank you will pay more electricity. Extra parking off site will run $90-150 each. Cars are a hassle in Honolulu. Easier to rent a car as needed. Share one car.

Even tho you have free shipping over don't bring any crap that you're not willing to pay to ship back.

Last edited by honobob; 02-01-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu