Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ah (although google oddly tells me it is 3 hour ride via the back way via Hawaii Kai since you can't bike on Pali, H3, Likelike) - but you can't really bike to the airport anyway - speaking as someone who actually works at the airport. Even if you could, where are you going to take a shower when you arrive a sweaty mess? The only housing in the immediate area is military housing - and the airport gets a lot of rain compared to Waikiki/town. It isn't a realistic option from anywhere.
Sure you can ride to the airport. Did you know there is a bike lane under the entire viaduct? Stretching nonstop from the airport to downtown? You also don't need to arrive a sweaty mess if you use an electric assist bike. You can let the battery do all the work. And some business owners do have showers and even promote bike use - I am one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Sure you can ride to the airport.
You can technically ride your bike just about anywhere - that doesn't mean it is feasible or people actually do it.

Nobody commutes to the airport on bike. It isn't genuine to suggest people are actually doing it. There are no showers available to employees at Honolulu International Airport.

The people biking around are the military folks who have housing in that area. With the 50 mph wind gusts today, I don't think anyone is attempting a bike commute either.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You can technically ride your bike just about anywhere - that doesn't mean it is feasible or people actually do it.

Nobody commutes to the airport on bike. It isn't genuine to suggest people are actually doing it. There are no showers available to employees at Honolulu International Airport.

The people biking around are the military folks who have housing in that area. With the 50 mph wind gusts today, I don't think anyone is attempting a bike commute either.
OP stated that he would like to commute to work by bike. I wouldn't expect anyone that doesn't ride a bike here on this forum to provide him any useful information. So I chimed in. As a cyclist myself, the commute isn't really that bad. I'd personally do it once or twice a week if my workplace was at the airport. It's great exercise.

As for the shower, you don't think OP considered that? Maybe there is a shower facility at his place of employment? Maybe he doesn't sweat when he rides? Maybe he brings a change of clothes and applies deodorant?

And we all know how common 50 mph gusts are here.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:09 PM

174 posts, read 349,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
:-) I have crap. I love some of my crap. Hawaii puts a dear price on keeping your crap. Drive Waikiki on a Friday evening and see all the "good" crap that is placed on the street for the dump. Thank God for the scavengers that cull thru the crap to keep it from the land/ocean flll.
Free furniture day.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:

As for the shower, you don't think OP considered that? Maybe there is a shower facility at his place of employment? Maybe he doesn't sweat when he rides? Maybe he brings a change of clothes and applies deodorant?
Maybe you should read post # 1, OP is an airline employee working at the airport. There are no showers provided to employees by any airline at HNL.

Doesn't sweat? Applies deodorant. Seriously, can reach any further?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should read post # 1, OP is an airline employee working at the airport. There are no showers provided to employees by any airline at HNL.

Doesn't sweat? Applies deodorant. Seriously, can reach any further?
LOL good grief... my point is don't you think the OP thought about this before asking about commuting to work on bike? Do you think a workplace shower is a prerequisite to riding a bike to work? Really? I can ride on flat level road in most weather conditions without breaking a sweat. And not everyone has body odor. I have several employees that ride their bikes to work. Only one uses the shower and that's not a daily occurrence.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Do you think a workplace shower is a prerequisite to riding a bike to work? Really? I can ride on flat level road in most weather conditions without breaking a sweat. And not everyone has body odor. I have several employees that ride their bikes to work. Only one uses the shower and that's not a daily occurrence.
Remind me to not get in a closed room with you and your employees.

Glad to hear you feel you are the exception to body odor.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Remind me to not get in a closed room with you and your employees.

Glad to hear you feel you are the exception to body odor.
We air the rooms out from time to time

Most of the time they just bring change of clothes. It's no biggie.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 9,682 times
Good morning everyone!

Good news. I have signed a 1 year lease for a 3BR at 1670 in the Moanalua area. It's very close to the airport and from what it seems, it looks feasible via bike. I will test multiple routes on my days off.

I want to thank everyone for their kind input and welcoming to the forum.

It seems moving to Hawaii wasn't such a far-off endeavor after all.

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Three bedroom for $1670! Skip the flea market , I'll see you shopping in Waikiki on Friday nites. The good stuff goes early. Welcome to Hawaii!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu